Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

recomm. $150 short zoom lens for nikon n70

Hi all. I am getting a used N70 body soon and would like an inexpensive but good quality lens to go with it. Which specific lens would you recommend and where to buy? I'm taking another photography class next month and would like to get familiar with my equipment before, so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, julie

btw, looking at 28-90 ish zoom, but open to suggestions. Like outdoor/nature and sports shots, so a fast AF would be great.

Re: recomm. $150 short zoom lens for nikon n70

outdoor-nature does not really demand fast lenses
    same with sport. Stadiums are very bright for the most part.
    Sport photography may demand some longer focal lengths than 90.
    cant really have the best of both worlds
    For outdoor/nature, 28 is nice, but maybe a 24 or something would be even better.

good luck with that

There are always compromises - the best lenses are very expensive! Sports photography usually needs fast shutter speeds, and to get that you'll have to turn up the ISO and/or use a wide aperture. You should be OK in most situations as long as the light is decent, but that's not always going to be the case. For the money, a used Nikon 28-105 would be a good choice. That lens might be slightly more than $150 used but it's a good all-around performer.

yep, the nikon 28-105 looks like a winner according to reviews here. I think I can get a used one for $200. Should be more than adequate for my needs. thanks for the advice. btw, will this fit my N70? I was told it should fit the older Manual lenses and newer AF ones too. - julie

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    There are always compromises - the best lenses are very expensive! Sports photography usually needs fast shutter speeds, and to get that you'll have to turn up the ISO and/or use a wide aperture. You should be OK in most situations as long as the light is decent, but that's not always going to be the case. For the money, a used Nikon 28-105 would be a good choice. That lens might be slightly more than $150 used but it's a good all-around performer.

The 28-105 f3.5-f4.5 is an AF (autofocus) lens so it will work with the N70. Manual focus lenses will mount to the camera but you'll probably lose all in-camera metering capability. You'll have to use an external light meter with these. I'd recommend staying away from them for this reason.

Thread Information