ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Valentine's Day Story

I've got a Valentine's Day photo post! Guess what, it involves snow and skiing

I gave Jenni an REI gift certificate for Valentine's Day. That may not be so romantic to some of you. But we love to do stuff together outdoors. So giving her money to spend for more outdoor activities is a good Valentine's investment in my book.

We got up on Valentine's Day and took our time getting ready to go up to Solitude to ski. When we finally got there the parking lot was full, it looked like there was no powder and I could see a lift line. We're spoiled in Utah. Lift lines and tracked out snow are no good. So I headed back down the canyon.

On the way down I suggested that maybe Jenni consider using the REI gift certificate to buy an avalanche beacon and we could go do some mellow, practice backcountry for Valentine's Day. She agreed and a few hours later we were all geared up and hiking at Alta
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valentine's Day Story-p2140031.jpg   Valentine's Day Story-_04c0603.jpg   Valentine's Day Story-_04c0577.jpg   Valentine's Day Story-_04c0591.jpg   Valentine's Day Story-_04c0593.jpg  

Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Valentine's Day Story

What goes up gets to come down

The snow was a bit on the thick, springy side. But thanks to our out-of-bounds hike, we got some only slightly-tracked snow and a solid little downhill drop. We also got some pretty good exercise. I was packing the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV and a couple of lenses, so my legs were worked. I got some good photos, though!

And the best part is, now that Jenni has all her backcountry gear, we can step things up and start exploring outside the ski resorts - especially on sunny weekend days, which are way too crowded at the resorts. One more beautiful, fun outdoor door is open to us. I'm looking forward to lots more fun days on the snow with my sweetie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valentine's Day Story-_04c0623.jpg   Valentine's Day Story-_04c0668.jpg   Valentine's Day Story-_04c0673.jpg   Valentine's Day Story-_04c0659.jpg  
    Photo-John

Not Just a Junior Member

Great photos, John. Although I'm still not recovered from my three days skiing with you, I'd go again in a minute if I could.

I love the first and the fourth. Very good shots.

Sounds like it was a good V Day for you and your sweetie John!
    Jimmy B

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Fun stuff and nice shots.
    Hope that avalanche beacon never has to be used.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Nice group of pics and it sounds like a very rewarding V Day for you and Jenni. My idea of a perfect V Day was a nice warm fire, watching it snow outside, toped off with a great meal and a bottle of wine with home made chocolate dipped strawberries to end the evening..
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Nice group of pics and it sounds like a very rewarding V Day for you and Jenni. My idea of a perfect V Day was a nice warm fire, watching it snow outside, toped off with a great meal and a bottle of wine with home made chocolate dipped strawberries to end the evening..
    That sounds nice, too. I don't get enough rest. It's neat that you guys got snow. Since I know you don't really want it, you should just send it all our way
    Photo-John

very nice photos,

the last one is breath taking

it is great that you combine your love for outdoors and photography

Great sights and shots. That first of you and Jenni is very cool. Good stuff
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I am so glad you have beacons !
    http://tinyurl.com/ye7csw7
    http://tinyurl.com/y8hk5d5

Maybe helmets are to become mandatory in Austria?
    http://tinyurl.com/ychvpfx
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I am so glad you have beacons !
    http://tinyurl.com/ye7csw7
    http://tinyurl.com/y8hk5d5

Maybe helmets are to become mandatory in Austria?
    http://tinyurl.com/ychvpfx
    I saw an article about that guy who had been buried seventeen hours. That's so crazy it almost shouldn't be news. Most people who get buried don't survive more than 10 minutes. I know someone who was buried for 15. He's very, very lucky. He doesn't remember being pulled out.

I have almost no experience in the backcountry or with safe avalanche safety. But I take it really seriously. An avalanche is one of the many ways I'd prefer not to die. But the lure of the powder is strong. So learning to get out there safely is a high priority. In this case, we were barely out of bounds. After our climb, it was probably only a 2 minute drop, if that, until we were back on an in-bounds cat track. It was a relatively safe way for us to practice - especially since Jenni only picked up her beacon that day.

Helmets are good. After using one on the bike and motorcycle for so long, I'm fine with wearing the helmet. In fact, after I got one, I found I liked it a lot more than a hat. It's more comfortable, breathes better, doesn't get wet, and works better with goggles. It is a drag when you're hiking on the skis, though. I haven't figured that out yet.
    Photo-John

Liz

Wow! Absolutely awesome photos here, John! They are all great shots. :thumbsup:

My favorites are the first and the last. I think that first one is the best I've seen of you and Jenni. And that last one is breathtaking.....

BTW, did Jenni shoot the ones of you? Great job whoever did it.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    BTW, did Jenni shoot the ones of you? Great job whoever did it.
    Glad you like the photos, Liz. That was a very, very nice day The only photo with me in it is that self-portrait of me and Jenni. The other skier is our friend, Mike and the snowboarder is Jenni.
    Photo-John

Great shots. Nice story, too. You never fail to capture the essence of it all, John (and make me envious in the process).

Where I come from, untracked snow is roughly equivalent to the Easter Bunny.

Thread Information