ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: smart+winter

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

smart+winter

They haven't ventured out yet, with more snow forecast they're staying home
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smart+winter-_1064068.jpg   smart+winter-_1064070.jpg   smart+winter-_1064064.jpg   smart+winter-_1040086.jpg   smart+winter-_1064063.jpg  

PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Re: smart+winter

My goodness! Looks like you are in for a while! Hope it thaws soon

More??

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    They haven't ventured out yet, with more snow forecast they're staying home
    You mean there's more on the way? Oh dear..

At the moment the wind is from the north which means that the bad weather crosses southern England then hits northern France - with less effect because it's already dumped most of the snow on the UK. We only got about 5cm on Wednesday night and about 2cm this morning. Not even worth a picture.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Paul,

Just to let you know that the main roads in Basingstoke are clear but all the side roads, car parks... are a bit icy at times. Been out in the 4x4 and on occasions I had to lock in 4x4 to get into certain car parks.

Charles its turning easterly so watch out.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

That's a lot of snow. If you can stay home, that is the smartest decision.
    That or get a team of huskies.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I know it's a big deal for places not prepared for it and don't want to make light of the seriousness, but I wouldn't even plow my 600 foot drive for that unless I was expecting company. TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks for the report, Roger.
    Working From Home has been good, the only traffic on the commute is the cat.

I must remember to ask you again on Monday before I venture out for work!
    Will you be up around 7:30 ish or do you have the luxury of a short commute ?
    PAul

We just are not prepared for it at all.
    Most local councils are out of grit/salt for the roads.
    We only have two salt mines in the country and they are running 24/7 to meed demand.
    But of course the roads have to be clear to get it where it's needed.

The airports don't have the de-icing and runway clearing equipment that you'd expect to find in the USA at airports where you regularly get Weather in winter.

You can't buy winter tyres from normal shops here. And this is the first time in 28 years I have thought I need them. Mail order stores are running out of stock, and the size the smart needs is a real oddball set that I haven't found !

Drivers of 4x4 are reviled here, as the "Chelsea Tractor" is usually only used on the school run by well heeled mummies who want to cocoon their little darlings while they chat on the cell phone driving to school.

Mind you it doesn't help if you have a cfd* and you insist on using max power to drive everywhere. I took great delight in watching a BMW driver revving the nuts and bolts off his engine, in 1st gear, on an icy hill, as he slid backwards and ground his expensive alloy wheel and low profile tyre against the kerb at high speed all the way down.

On my way home I was overtaken by articulated lorries in the outside lane driving on their 56mph speed limiters as if it was just a rainy day. On the fresh snow, not in the melted snow in the inside lane in the tyre tracks of everything else going at sensible speeds.
    No wonder that in the chaos before Christmas it was a jacknifed lorry that brought one of the main roads in Basingstoke to a halt. That was the day I abandoned the car and walked to the rail station, no one was going anywhere.

*cfd: can't f'ing drive Seems to be a standard option on cars that were bought for prestige.
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Thanks for the report, Roger.
    Working From Home has been good, the only traffic on the commute is the cat.

I must remember to ask you again on Monday before I venture out for work!
    Will you be up around 7:30 ish or do you have the luxury of a short commute ?
    I'll get up just for your call, call me on the mobile, My communte will be to the study on Monday.

Taking Beccy to uni in london tomorrow but its started snowing already here. We'll see what its like in the morning.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information