Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Junior Member SportsPhotography's Avatar

World Championship ice speedway

Forget MotoGP, World Superbike, Supermoto, MotoX etc,etc.
    There is only one sport which brings excitement to the max in an ice stadium were the visitors or less then 3 meters from the ice ring and the riders have machines with 3 gears and no brakes!
    With 2" spikes attaced on/in the tyres on the front and the back this give the riders the grip they need to hold with almost 70 miles on the straight and 60 in the corners.
    During the race weekend they have one series of races in the evening and one in the afternoon on the last day.

During the begin of the races all the riders are expected to do one lap in a parade for introduction to the audience.
    There's only one rider who has a large fan base.

This is the man for who almost all of the visitors are heading to Assen during the raceweekend.

Gunther Bauer shaking off an opponent from his back.

Junir Bazeev in a big battle, but leading the way.

The only dutch competitor during the whole championship.

Markus Skabraut in an terrible ice storm made by a rider in front of him.

Antonin Klatovsky with a perfect wheelie, when he saw me when I was with my knees in the snow he waved his right leg over the buddyseat.
    The visitors in the back are watching to this well performed wheelie.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: World Championship ice speedway

Oh nicely done !
    They look good and clean for ISO 2000.

I really like Junir Bazeev's battle, that's a very good image.

I use EXIF Viewer add-in to Firefox, and thank you for keeping the EXIF information in your photos, that helps people who are trying to learn from the forum.

I see you're spot metering, and using shutter priority, yet with a -1/3 stop exposure compensation.
    And in-camera using cool white fluorescent colour balance on all except 1 bike shot.
    Is that just what the auto-WB chose ?

Interesting you're using 1/320 or 1/400, about the same shutter speed I used for the bikes going up the hill at Goodwood Festival of Speed.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

The Junir Bazeev and the Antonin Klatovsky picture were both under daylight.
    The other pictures were in the evening in almost complete darkness, but with artificial light ( the ice ring is partially covered with a roof except the inner ring the part which we use to walk to the corners or straights that part is open.
    So under daylight there isn't enough sun to give enough light ( it's more spread ) ) Using one white balance could be very tricky because of the bad lighting that's why I used auto WB.
    The shutterspeed for motorcycle racing are most of all the same between 1/250 and 1/400.
    I don't go higher because I want to mantain the perception of speed in the subject ( spinning wheels, blurry parts of ice and in the background some motion blur ( the other part of the blur is the chosen aperture which won't be higher then f10 and lower then f5.6.
    I've seen pictures of the same championship in Inzell and they're more crispier very nice to see.

Chris Anderson-Photography fidgety's Avatar

Nice snaps. Good color, contrast, they're sharp, nicely framed and the action is good. Well done.
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

Awesome!

Ohh, how I abuse the word. But this post is serious AWESOME!

I went to the ice races once in San Francisco, probably 15 years ago. Somewhere I have Cibachrome prints from that event. But my photos don't look anything like these. And the crowd at San Francisco's Cow Palace didn't look like this one, either. Some sports just don't take as well in the US. But motorcycle ice racing really is intense. The track is so tiny, they're so close and the tires are sooooo studded! The sense of impending disaster is heavy in the air. And the crowd loves it! I love it!

Thanks a lot for posting these and congratulations on having the Featured Photo / Post for the week. I only just noticed your post because I saw your photo on the Home page. In case you (or anyone else) doesn't know, your photo will be forever archived in our Featured Photo Archive. It's a really rich library of some of the best photos posted on this site.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

It's been a long time since a set of photos have 'knocked my sox off", but I'm picking them up right now ... this is one sweet set of images -- very nice job !!

Re: Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Ohh, how I abuse the word. But this post is serious AWESOME!

I went to the ice races once in San Francisco, probably 15 years ago. Somewhere I have Cibachrome prints from that event. But my photos don't look anything like these. And the crowd at San Francisco's Cow Palace didn't look like this one, either. Some sports just don't take as well in the US. But motorcycle ice racing really is intense. The track is so tiny, they're so close and the tires are sooooo studded! The sense of impending disaster is heavy in the air. And the crowd loves it! I love it!

Thanks a lot for posting these and congratulations on having the Featured Photo / Post for the week. I only just noticed your post because I saw your photo on the Home page. In case you (or anyone else) doesn't know, your photo will be forever archived in our Featured Photo Archive. It's a really rich library of some of the best photos posted on this site.
    I saw some pictures of championships in the US, but there they ride with motocross bikes.
    They steer like on a dirttrack, but the championship that I went to is for the riders from Europe.
    For so far I know that round is the only real world championship under the flag of the FIM.
    The guys in this class don't drift but lay there machines almost with the handlebar to the ground.
    Very spectacular to see.
    Thank you and the rest of you for the compliment.

congratulations on your featured photo...super hot shot and a ton!! frozen in time! wow!!
    in the words of a world famous philospher:
    "I yam what i yam and that's all what i yam!"

These are some great shots, congrats on getting featured photo.

Jim
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=7705
    Canon 1D Mark IIn
    Canon 40D w/ Vertical Grip
    Canon 300 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    Canon 1.4 TC
    580Ex
    Monopod

Well deserved feature and an excellent group of images. Always exciting to see something out of the everyday sports image here in the forum. Thanks for posting.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Well deserved feature and an excellent group of images. Always exciting to see something out of the everyday sports image here in the forum. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks this weekend I'm heading for some IDM pictures ( 2 days ) and one day of Supermoto racing.
    After 4 days of work there's 3 days of photography and after that 5 days of work and finally 2 days off.

Thread Information