Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

CCCX Downhill racin!

Between spending most of the day in the sun shooting the race & having a hockey game with only 7 skaters last night I'm bushed! The race was fun, and for hockey I was busy skating 4-5 min shifts all game.

Here are a few of my favs. Glad nobody got (seriously) hurt in any of the wrecks. I was originally planning on getting a little more variety of shots, but that one tech section was just too much fun. Us photogs were having fun talking about the course & feeling somewhat sorry for the racers.

I originally was planning on shooting the race more with the mindset of covering the event, not just the racers, but due to all the crashes I ended up getting my "artsy" shots during practice & my selling shots during the race.

Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Re: CCCX Downhill racin!

There area lot of great shots in there... Right place and right time for you, wrong place and wrong time for some of the riders.. ;)

Only shame is the other camera guy in the background of some of them... Oh well...

Good stuff, Scott! If I remember right that race used to be right before or after Sea Otter. So they changed the time of year? How hot was it? And can you tell us some technique details about these photos? One of the main benefits of this forum is photographers learning from other photographers. And as far as sports shooting goes, I'm always most interested in auto focus strategy and how different cameras perform for action photos. I know the Canon stuff really well. But I know you shoot Nikon and I'm curious about how that might make you approach a shot differently than I do.

Thanks for sharing!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Great shots! I especially like some of your "artsy" ones, and you've got a great series of crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    ...And as far as sports shooting goes, I'm always most interested in auto focus strategy and how different cameras perform for action photos...
    Same here. I recently started trying to pick an AF point that I think will cover the rider's face when shooting mountain biking (picked that up from a member on these boards, actually), and it works quite well. But I always am interested to hear others' AF technique, especially in shots like these of the crashes, where you have very little time to react and not much of an idea what is going to happen.
    "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lang

flickr

I'm at work now (should I be posting that? ) but once I get home today I'll spill the beans on the shoot.

One quick tip, LR is AWSOME!
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Here is my shooting info from the days race. I went through 2 different images & explained how/why & my tech details. It was long enough I thought I'd start a new thread, as well as make it easier to find if someone is searching for MTB shooting techniques.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Oh PJ - its now a race series. They run 7 DH, 7 XC, and 7 CX races at different parts of the year.

CCCX.org
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes