Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>
    GB1

How to do Pin-Up PP?

Does anyone have any ideas on post processing to create a "Pin Up" look? I attended a Pin Up themed model shoot this morning and have some decent shots, but they need a little PP to get them there... Ideas or comments?

Attached are a few! Note that I also have a ton of work to do on removing reflections from this one model's sunglasses :arf:

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to do Pin-Up PP?-img_0131_initial_px800.jpg   How to do Pin-Up PP?-img_0088_initial_px800.jpg   How to do Pin-Up PP?-img_0213_initial_px800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: How to do Pin-Up PP?

It has a lot to do with blending modes, and the basic tenets are remove detail, boost contrast, enhance makeup, add grain.

I could spend an hour typing up my method, but this tut from Planet Photoshop (credit where credit is due, you know) seem to come close:

http://www.planetphotoshop.com/pin-up-effect.html

Good luck G!

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

GB1

Medley - Thanks!!! That tutorial is outstanding! A lot of other nice ones there, too.

G

My Site

In addition to the other recommendations, try shooting with a polarizer on any shot with sky. You don't want a bland sky with a pin up. I also think your models need more 'pin up' makeup. Two of them have very subtle makeup, one is sweating and shining. You definitely want to PS eye whites and teeth so they're the brightest thing in the picture. And lastly, it looks like the black skirt on the last model is dirty- not good for pin-up or fashion.

Edit: Lastly, it looks like all three of them are trying to do fashion poses- subtle, sexy but bored, don't care. You've got old war birds for the background, so if you're looking for that classic '40s pin up style, you might have them do period poses- innocent, but sexy, big smiles, bright expressions.

Great tutorial!

But it's not only about the PP (as you know). It's also (and very much) about the attire, the angle, the makeup, the pose, the focal length, the gaze...

Even though he's not a PP guy at all, you might want to check out Steve Diet Goedde's work. He's been a favorite of mine for years, not necessarily for the actual content of his work, but for the expression and the flair. He's really got that 50s/60s aesthetic down cold (despite the fact that his models often wear very modern outfits).
    Last edited by draymorton; 06-30-2009 at 04:00 PM.

GB1

Followed that tutorial and got this. A bit over the top I think, but it is different.

Yeah L33, they probably could have put the makeup on a little heavier. The bottom model doesn't appear to be wearing any at all (besides her fingernails). The gal in the aviator glasses had candy red lipstick. I also see your pt on the innocent/happy facial expressions that are sort of missing here (except for the top model). I have a lot of shots I need to go through and will filter accordingly, giving preference to BIG smiles.

Dray, I see what you mean about Steve Diet Goedde. There's something retro about his shots and his models (probably a combination of things). PP is just one aspect of Pin up, but an important one I think as modern images don't quite have the color palette those old films did (sort of 'primary-color' looking? Who knows?!!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to do Pin-Up PP?-img_0185_edit1_px800.jpg  

My Site

Greg, I would like to point out that in this last photo and the first one on the original post that you might want to be more aware of the background. The letters and stripes on the airplane seem to be coming out of her head and shoulders. I do think you are on to something here and have some fun shots. Well worth spending time on, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GB1

We actually wanted the stripes etc in the shot Jeff, but I see where they aren't really at the ideal position. One thing about these 'group' shots though: they're minor chaos, with everyone trying to pose the model and this and that and whatever happening, definitely not a private shoot where you can really decide everything. The price was right, though.. everyone paid $15 each to cover a small fee for the MUAs, refreshments, and I think a small donation to the Maramar museum.

G

My Site

Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    It has a lot to do with blending modes, and the basic tenets are remove detail, boost contrast, enhance makeup, add grain.

I could spend an hour typing up my method, but this tut from Planet Photoshop (credit where credit is due, you know) seem to come close:

http://www.planetphotoshop.com/pin-up-effect.html
    I just perused through this link, and what a fantastic resource. Thanks for posting it.
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

Thread Information