Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Significant differences between D90 and D300

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to decide which camera I should get my dad for his coming birthday and I figured I'd ask a bunch of knowledgeable people instead of deciding myself -- I am pretty inexperienced in this field.

He's very passionate about photography, takes great pictures of landscapes and does great portraits, and has been doing so for more than 25 years. His SLR background is almost entirely in film, and all the digital photography he does is on highly-limited point and shoot cameras. I'm sure he'd love to have a digital SLR, but he just doesn't have the disposable income for one.

I've been doing some research within the Nikon family of DSLRs and have narrowed it down to the D90 and the D300, based on what I can afford to get him. I'd also like to get him a decent normal lens with some zoom, but I've read that the lens that is kitted with the D90 is sub-par.

Based on value, and your experience, is it worth it to get the D300 over a D90? Any suggestions as to lenses?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Significant differences between D90 and D300

Did you check what he already has for lenses? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

He has an old Pentax film SLR from the 80s, and a couple of lenses for that. I don't think they would be compatible with Nikon cameras though, would they?

A Pentax lens would definitely not fit on a Nikon.

And Nikon kit lenses are not sub-par. They usually deliver excellent results but bear in mind that they are aimed at the casual snapshooter and are not as durable as the more noble lenses (i.e. the lens mount and most of the innards are made of plastic). If you want a more durable lens then look at the 18-70, the 16-85 or the 18-200.

The D300 is a pro camera with pro features - 6 frames per second, 51 point autofocus, better exposure meter, weather sealing - and it's pretty heavy. If your father is heavily into sports photography then a D300 has advantages but otherwise the D90 takes the same pictures.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

You mention that the D90 kit lens is subpar....Not sure there is a kit lens w/ the D90....I have shot the d40 extensively and also the D90. I bet the d90 would suit your dad just fine....You mention that he shoots landscapes and portraits....Does he shoot low light stuff in gyms (sports)? If L&P are his passion, I think the D90 is FINE...
    Does anyone rec the D40? For landscapes and portraits, and a "hobby" this one might be easier on the pocketbook...what is your budget?
    cheers,
    sue.

Quote Originally Posted by enshokusoyokaze
    Hello everyone,

I'm trying to decide which camera I should get my dad for his coming birthday and I figured I'd ask a bunch of knowledgeable people instead of deciding myself -- I am pretty inexperienced in this field.

He's very passionate about photography, takes great pictures of landscapes and does great portraits, and has been doing so for more than 25 years. His SLR background is almost entirely in film, and all the digital photography he does is on highly-limited point and shoot cameras. I'm sure he'd love to have a digital SLR, but he just doesn't have the disposable income for one.

I've been doing some research within the Nikon family of DSLRs and have narrowed it down to the D90 and the D300, based on what I can afford to get him. I'd also like to get him a decent normal lens with some zoom, but I've read that the lens that is kitted with the D90 is sub-par.

Based on value, and your experience, is it worth it to get the D300 over a D90? Any suggestions as to lenses?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The more control he wants to exercise the more the D300 would be the choice. In addition, the AF engine is significantly better.

Below is a comparison.

Len
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Significant differences between D90 and D300-362007800_ik9gi-o.jpg  

Thread Information