Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Nikon D70 shutter speed queston

Hi -

I have a Nikon D70 and am finally trying to move beyond the pre-sets in the automatic modes. I would like to try some thngs with photographing water - I live near the beach in California - and also would like to try panning shots of surfers, people running on the beach, and the like.

Unfortunately (or incompetently) I can't figure out how to set the shutter speed on my camera. From what I've seen, I'd like to try 1/45 to 1/60 of a second, but cannot seem to find how to do it.

Any guidance for this rank beginner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for whatever you might be able to tell me.

Re: Nikon D70 shutter speed queston

Look at the control dial on top of the camera (the one with M A S P and a load of pictograms which I've never used in fact). Set it to S (shutter priority). Then you use the knurled dial at the back of the camera under your right thumb to set the shutter speed, which shows up on the top plate and in the viewfinder.

The camera will adjust the diaphragm automatically, within the limits of the lens. 1/45s is pretty slow outdoors so set the ISO down to the minimum (200) to make sure you don't go beyond the minimum aperture.

Note that if you want to try setting the aperture and have the camera set the shutter speed it's A mode and the knurled wheel on the front of the camera under your index finger
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Nikon D70 shutter speed queston

Also, by changing iso, f/stop you can get the right exposure.
    For good tutorial on your D70 go here http://www.nikondigitutor.com/index_eng.html
    The D70 is on lower left but they also list the D70s if that's what you have.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information