Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Long time, no critique

It's been a long time since I've posted any photos, for critique or otherwise. I'd like your opinions on these two please. In the one shot, I know having the subjects walking out of the frame breaks the rule, but for some reason I still like it a lot.

Taken with a Canon A40

Just a little background info. These shots were taken on the top of Mount Seven in Golden, British Columbia. The pair are a father and son taking in the view from one of the hang gliding ramps.

TIA

Spike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long time, no critique-father-son-1s.jpg   Long time, no critique-father-son-leaving-s.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 09-13-2004 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Unsticking as "Featured Photo" for the week of 6 Sept 04 - Use the Second image...

I really like the silhouette where they're walking out of the picture. I've seen published shots like this, so there must be some other rule that it follows.

I really like how neither figure is broken by the cloud line. I like how the angle of the hill and ramp slides down to the right, or in this case "climbs" up. I think the two figures on the left balance out the man-made structure on the right. The expanse of sky works with this shot to create a lonely feel. The sky is beautiful, btw. I just love the exposure.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

thanks

Thanks kelly!

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I really like the silhouette where they're walking out of the picture. I've seen published shots like this, so there must be some other rule that it follows.

I really like how neither figure is broken by the cloud line. I like how the angle of the hill and ramp slides down to the right, or in this case "climbs" up. I think the two figures on the left balance out the man-made structure on the right. The expanse of sky works with this shot to create a lonely feel. The sky is beautiful, btw. I just love the exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    It's been a long time since I've posted any photos, for critique or otherwise. I'd like your opinions on these two please. In the one shot, I know having the subjects walking out of the frame breaks the rule, but for some reason I still like it a lot.

Taken with a Canon A40

Just a little background info. These shots were taken on the top of Mount Seven in Golden, British Columbia. The pair are a father and son taking in the view from one of the hang gliding ramps.

TIA

Spike
    I like 'em both. My first thought on the first one was how awesome it would be with a sunset background - or at least more color in the sky - and that flag cloned out.

I think with the first one I might like to see it brightened up a bit, and see a bit more of the color in the foreground since it's somewhat of a focal point. Don't need to do it in the second one because the fiugres are so strong the eye is drawn straight to them and likes them as a silhouette. But the first one your eye roams around and wants to see more detail in the foreground.

Maybe something like this:

(I'm doing this rather late at night so I might wake up in the morning and reverse my opinion ... )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long time, no critique-father-son-1s1.jpg  
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Welcome Back!

Welcome back to the critique forum Spike!
    These are both good interesting images, although I think I am drawn to the second more than the first. Mostly because I find it better without the mountains and other elements in the background.
    I think it works fine with the two people walking out of the frame.
    Good Stuff! Please don't be a stranger to the critique forum again!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

just me
    Spike,
    I really like these silhouetted images, I don't think rules apply here.
    I was wondering what they were seeing from up there. Nice exposure.
    I think you should post more often.
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    I like 'em both. My first thought on the first one was how awesome it would be with a sunset background - or at least more color in the sky - and that flag cloned out.
    I'm not that great with PS, but I could blue-up the sky and clone out the flag. That day the sun wasn't out very often, and forest fires farther away made for some pretty hazy views. Thanks for your suggestions!

Spike

I think

your changes look good, kelly. I played with levels and curves a bit with these, but kept discarding my changes.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I think with the first one I might like to see it brightened up a bit, and see a bit more of the color in the foreground since it's somewhat of a focal point. Don't need to do it in the second one because the fiugres are so strong the eye is drawn straight to them and likes them as a silhouette. But the first one your eye roams around and wants to see more detail in the foreground.

Maybe something like this:

(I'm doing this rather late at night so I might wake up in the morning and reverse my opinion ... )

Thank you, CJ!

Quote Originally Posted by cjsoap
    Spike,
    I really like these silhouetted images, I don't think rules apply here.
    I was wondering what they were seeing from up there. Nice exposure.
    I think you should post more often.
    CJ

Hi Brian. I guess my picture taking has been stalled for awhile, and my participation in the forums ebbs and flows too. I'll try not to be too much of a stranger. Thanks for your comments on my photos.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Welcome back to the critique forum Spike!
    These are both good interesting images, although I think I am drawn to the second more than the first. Mostly because I find it better without the mountains and other elements in the background.
    I think it works fine with the two people walking out of the frame.
    Good Stuff! Please don't be a stranger to the critique forum again!
    Brian

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Nice photos Spike

Hiya Spike.

I for one like the sillhouttes. I think it works well, especially in the secone one. If nothing else I think that the second one could be even darker to remove wha appears o be a trash can on my screen (though my screen is probably not callorbrated properly since I'm on my roommates compuer).

What brought you all the way over to British Columbia? Also I got an email from Celly eons ago and never responded and now I feel like a litle procrastinating non-friend. Hope its never to late to give you my best wishes and hope all is going well.

Scott

I can't begin to tell you how great I think this is...so I won't that way you won't get a fat head from thinking you're all great just because you got the featured photo and just because this is such a clean and just graphically outstanding shot. I won't tell you how well the people walking out of frame works or how perfect the timing was in the positioning of limbs...I just won't...

BTW I think I really like it
    ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by Spike

Taken with a Canon A40

TIA

Spike

I really enoyed looking at the second picture. For me the fact that you had the people walk out of the fame really made the theme. It speaks to me of the end of the day.

john
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: Long time, no critique

[QUOTE=Spike]It's been a long time since I've posted any photos ......

Inspiration ... that s what I got out of these photos .... loads of inspiration! Have to catch some sihouettes myself ... never did. But have to take hundreds before I have a couple wihch possibly will be able to tell a story like the faher and son one ....
    just the cropping the croppping should be thought about .... too many things on it which do not really add ....

attached please see what I mean ..... just my own opinion
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information