Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

1st posting HS BBall

Greetings all! I have been lurking around for a while, stilling up my nerve to post some shots. I photograph high school sports for our local (weekly) newspaper (circulation around 9,000.
    Here are two shots from this week.....Let me know what you think! I am struggling a bit w/ resizing for the web. These images didn't get any adjustments, cropped just a bit and added my imprint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st posting HS BBall-4lr.jpg   1st posting HS BBall-33-lr-copy.jpg  

Re: 1st posting HS BBall

Nice to have you posting here on the sports forum. With these two shots your off to a flying start. Both have great action and wonderful facial expressions. Hope you share more with us and get involved in a few discussions. Winter can sometimes be a bit slow on the sports forum since many photographers get scared off by poorly lighted indoor venues for amateur sports.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I certainly have my share of winter sports to shoot...and it seems that I tend to get all the tough venues.....I am in a fairly good relationship w/ this gym...I shoot volleyball, and bball and wrestling...so I am learning where all the good lighted spots are!
    Do we have anyone posting wrestling photos?
    cheers,
    sue

I've shown a little bit of wrestling.. last night's was the second I've been at.. without flash this time (the first time was with flash)...

You can see those shots here and for comparison the top group (Tokina F2.8 ISO 1600 1/400) and bottom group (before I got the Tokina, the EOS 55-250 F4-5.6 with flash so 1/200) (they got a brand new mat for last night's meet, and then the other team forfeited out 5 matches so the whole meet was 1 hour including 2 J.V. matches.)

Flash may be a requirement I think at the wrestling, I may try the next one in Av mode just to see what the camera chooses for shutter speeds.
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Thanks for posting your wrestling links...
    Here is one from this week......I alternate between using my 50-200mm(f4-5.6) w/ a speedlight on my D90 and using the 50mm f1.4 w/ no flash....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The number of people in the stands in that small picture.. is about how many were in our whole gym last night...and there was the basketball game right in the next gym.. people could have paid for one event and got two, which would have been good in the -20 day outside.. sit inside and watch sports.
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Well, thankfully our wrestling team is really good, so everyone is on the state-train....Our girls bball will prob make a state run too...so that helps w/ filling up the stands during BBall......

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Good action ... I wish you had the feet in on the left hand side, those yellow boots make it really stand out.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I forgot to mention.. the gym our wrestling team competes in .. is a small gym.. and the way it's set up.. the referee is always in the way of photographers because the scoring table is across on the other side and he needs to be able to see them to signal points.

Sometimes it seems that I am a ref magnent- always seem to be right in front of me- bball or wrestling. In wrestling, sometimes I"ll sit in front or to the side of the scoring table- that way the ref usually isn't over there on that side....I think sometimes the ref's are actually protecting me from an errant move....But, that usually subsides when I make a point of getting out of the way really early....they start to realize that I AM paying attention and am not likely to get smooshed. :-)
    s.

I ref'd for ONE year (1 year was plenty, I got into coaching middle school bball for 3 years instead).. and there's only one guy who no matter what.. I couldn't get along with.. he seems to end up at almost every basketball game I've been to this year, whether with my camera or just watching.. whether it's the community college or high school boys (or girls) he's doing at least 1 of the games.. He's the only one who won't even thank ya got retrieving a ball if it gets away from them too.

Thread Information