Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Red Bull Rookies Cup Qualifying for 2009

These kids always amaze me. The first photo is Josh from Oz, riding only 8 months, he looks like a champion already! Got an email today from his dad, he made the cut! Exciting stuff for a 15 year old! Red bull is for girls too as seen in the 2nd photo! THese kids ride fast and hard, but the general impression a rider gives is equally important: personality, racing spirit, team spirit, fair play and so on. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red Bull Rookies Cup Qualifying for 2009-red-bull-josh.jpg   Red Bull Rookies Cup Qualifying for 2009-red-bull-girl.jpg   Red Bull Rookies Cup Qualifying for 2009-red-bull-eyes.jpg   Red Bull Rookies Cup Qualifying for 2009-red-bull-qualify.jpg   Red Bull Rookies Cup Qualifying for 2009-red-bull-qualify2.jpg  

Re: Red Bull Rookies Cup Qualifying for 2009

The first shot is sweet:-)
    JB

Good stuff Lori. I love watching the little bit of their races that made TV; easily the most competitive of all the AMA series. Fantastic racing, cool bikes, and what a great program for those kids.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Thanks Jimmy! I agree Brad, it was an awesome race at Barber this year, I really cant wait to see them again!

Nice shots as always.

I think there was a Canadian kid there also. Any idea how he did?

Keep the bike shots coming. I can never get enough of them.
    Warren

Canon 7D
    Canon 1D Mark II
    Tokina 11 - 16mm F2.8
    Canon 18 - 200 mm IS F3.5 - F5.6
    Canon 70 - 200 mm IS F2.8
    Canon 300 mm 2.8
    Canon Mark II 1.4x, 2x extenders

Feel free to edit my photos.

There is usually one or 2 from Canada and they always do well, my last years pick was Royce McLean (from Canada), and he is amazing! So far Im 2 for 2 :lol: As far as bike photo's go, highly doubtful I will run out lol Let me know if you know the riders name from Canada and I will look for him and any pics of him I have!

These are all really good, the first one in particular. The reason I like #1 over the rest is there is a stronger feeling of speed than in the rest.

Your shutter speed in the first is 1/250 whereas the rest are 1/1600-1/2000, you should try to keep the shutter in the 1/250 range for the future as it allows the wheels and the background to blur and imply speed. With a shutter faster than that, it looks more like the rider is standing still rather than whipping around the track at speeds I can't even comprehend.

Additionally, try shooting from a lower angle- like from your knees or seated on the ground. This will allow the guardrail and greenery to slip into the background and, when shooting at 1/250, will yield better background blur (like #1) than the track.

Nice work.

Thanks! I am a corner marshal also, so these where taken when I was working and I cant leave the spot im in. I am always on my toes waiting/watching for a wreck so I didnt have the options of moving or taking time to change settings but its good practice for when I am a photog and free to move! Thanks for looking
    The 3rd one I live the fact I got his eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    Thanks! I am a corner marshal also, so these where taken when I was working and I cant leave the spot im in. I am always on my toes waiting/watching for a wreck so I didnt have the options of moving or taking time to change settings but its good practice for when I am a photog and free to move! Thanks for looking
    The 3rd one I live the fact I got his eyes
    Totally understand, you're doing three things at once and trying to make art at the same time, I get it. If you do see a wreck, that's the time for quick shutter speeds!

The fact that he's looking at you and not the track scares me a little. Maybe because I'm a parent now but still....

LOL well shutter speeds are out when there is a wreck, I am in the track with in seconds attending to the crash scene (yeah, I know but someone has to do it lol). The child in the photo was safe, its luck when you get a qucik glance like that in the shot. He was out of the "kink" and on the straight when he looked

Thread Information