Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: B&W Street Shot

B&W Street Shot

Family eating lunch, Trafalgar Square, London
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B&W Street Shot-lunch.jpg  
    Last edited by Photo-John; 08-09-2004 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Featured Photo!

Tuna, I love this composition! Each of the people, especially the older ones, are so unique you want to just keep studying them. I'm imagining whether they are together, if the modern kid belongs with the older gentleman; wondering what the woman is thinking. What are they eating? Where have they been? Are they tourists to London or just on a shopping day? I love it.

And those 17th century heads in the background...who are they? What are they? Certainly not real people, but too detailed for statues, and they don't look flat enough to be a sign. Very intriguing.

Only thing I guess I wish was different would be shallower DOF (maybe) to focus more on the people. But the DOF you have does not ruin the shot at all. This definitely looks like an example from the books. Great job!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

just me
    I totally agree with Kelly, this is a great shot. After careful study I have come the conclusion that these people are related.The mouths and jawline give it away, to me they look so much alike it's like they are brother's and sister, only speculation.. anyway I love it. Thanks for sharing.

CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna
    Family eating lunch, Trafalgar Square, London
    I love this image. Another testament to where black and white is sometimes the only way to go. but i would like to see the older mans eyes. i get the feeling that his is looking directly into the lens.

Very nice

Very nice image. I love the way all three of the subjects are intently staring in different directions. I agree that a shallower DOF may have enhanced the photo.

Very nice street shot. I like how the 3 people are each in their own world. Also it is interesting to look around the photo to see a lot is going on without it being distracting to the people in front.

It looks like Trafalgar Square to me... if I'm right, then all you're missing is a pigeon (or fifty)!

Nice stuff... although I have to agree that slightly shallower depth of field would have helped focus attention on the three 'subjects'... I think you would have still retained the sense of a lot going on around them.
    Sport in Essex in Pictures
    <a href="http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk"><strong>www.tgsphoto.co.uk</strong></a>

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    I like this Photo! It reminds me alot of the old photo with the construction workers sitting up above the city, Can't think of what its called....But this is very reminiscent of that! I Love the deep shadows, and I like that the mans eyes are in Shadow, after asking myself all the questions that "kellybean" asked i found myself wondering "did he see the photographer, did he realize he was being captured on film?" Very interesting photo. (I'm a fan of the unposed, glimpses into other peoples lives, etc.)

Love the grim faces

What an outstanding photo. If these people are tourists, they look like they just lost their luggage and were robbed on their way to get their sandwiches.

The B&W is a treat and nicely does its job of distilling these folks to their essence.
    James White
    Portland, Oregon, USA

Trafalgar Square

Trafalgar Square, yes...i was there two weeks ago. Here are the birds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B&amp;W Street Shot-trafalgar-square.jpg  

re:

I really like the shots. What type of film do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by littleduno
    I really like the shots. What type of film do you use?
    Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and critique.

As for the type of film used - alas, I have gone digital. This was shot with a Nikon D70 (given to me by my kids for Father's Day! Nice gift, huh?). After years of shooting street scenes with a Leica IIIc and a Contax T2, I reluctantly began using the D70 and find it to be incredibly, efficient, quiet and quick for street photography. It's just as easy to shoot from the waist or hip and I am very happy with the results. I guess this old dog can learn new tricks after all...

A really fantastic shot!

It perked up my interest in B&W stuff.

Thanks!

I'm not going to critque it... just like I don't tell professional pilots how to fly a 747.

James

Thread Information