Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Single

Single

Hey, here are a few photos that I already posted on the general photo critique forum, but figured I should repost them here....thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single-imgp0564.jpg   Single-imgp0621.jpg   Single-imgp0625.jpg   Single-imgp0657.jpg   Single-imgp0668.jpg  

"The force of art lies in its immediate influence on human psychology and in its active contagiousness."

-Naum Gabo

Re: Single

The problem with shooting the "Bigs" is you can't get close enough, and they limit the lens you can use.
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Nice shots ..... go down to 35th street and get better ones

JS - what is the limit on length ???
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

JS is right. You have to check each ballpark's restrictions. I'll be going to Comerica in May for the Yankees/Tigers, and their restrictions are no tripods, unipods, or monopods. They don't say anything about the size of the lens, but I was watching a Tigers game last week and saw a kid with what appeared to be a 70-300. I'll be taking the 18-70 and the 70-300, and hope my hands are steady enough, or my daughter allows me to rest the barrel on her head
    John
    PLEASE ASK BEFORE MAKING ANY EDITS. THANK YOU.

If I care enough to leave a critique or comment on your work, please return the favor.

My Aviation photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/addiesgranddaddy

Everything else:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9367218@N03/

Quote Originally Posted by Addies Granddaddy
    JS is right. You have to check each ballpark's restrictions. I'll be going to Comerica in May for the Yankees/Tigers, and their restrictions are no tripods, unipods, or monopods. They don't say anything about the size of the lens, but I was watching a Tigers game last week and saw a kid with what appeared to be a 70-300. I'll be taking the 18-70 and the 70-300, and hope my hands are steady enough, or my daughter allows me to rest the barrel on her head
    John

Have fun - maybe the tigers will have won a game by then
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

This lens was a 70-300....and I believe that is the limit. I obviously would have like to get closer shots, but I was happy with the outcome on some of them, considering I was right next to the left field foul pole. BTW, this is my first time shooting MLB, so I appreciate all feedback.

JB, I will be in the first row of sec. 536 with the same lens to see my Yanks whoop the Sox on the 22nd. Hopefully I will have some better pics to share.....although I don't think the lens will be strong enough to find the landing spot of A-Rod's inevitable HR....thanks for your comments....
    "The force of art lies in its immediate influence on human psychology and in its active contagiousness."

-Naum Gabo

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

from what I've heard, as long as your equipment doesn't look pro, you're fine. Try a mirror lens ;)

Go Yanks (I'm a huge fan) and I didn't know there were other teams in the MLB other than my New York Yankees (well you learn something new everyday). I didn't have a clue about the Photo lens thing, I took my camera into Wrigley and wasn't even searched or questioned when I had it out (again you learn something new everyday)
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Quote Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP
    Nice shots ..... go down to 35th street and get better ones

JS - what is the limit on length ???

It's diffrerent at every park, just as it is with hockey and basketball

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6