Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GB1

Palm Springs Windfarm

Taken on the same trip to Joshua Tree, I find this spot having incredible potential, but I've never been able to get really good shots there either. Maybe sunrise/sunset might be best, but the mountains there are very high and might block the sun during those times.

Anyways - Kodachrome 64 film.

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Palm Springs Windfarm-palmspringswindfarm1_feb2008_px640.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Palm Springs Windfarm

As far as I'm concerned, you nailed it.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

I actually really like it. Sunrise or sunset could be cool but think this works quite well. Forwarded a link to my brother who might start working in renewable energy.

I'm not sure about the positioning of the turbines though.

GB1

Thks for commenting fellows. What about the actual image quality? Looks very 'dulled' out to me. Maybe I should have used my GND filter and gotten some of the foreground detail?

AG, so do you think there's simply better positions for them in the picture, or .?

Gb

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Thks for commenting fellows. What about the actual image quality? Looks very 'dulled' out to me. Maybe I should have used my GND filter and gotten some of the foreground detail?

AG, so do you think there's simply better positions for them in the picture, or .?

Gb
    You're shooting into the sun so I don't know what else you could expect. But the effect works for me, especially since we can still see the mountains in the background.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

Love My D80

I like your image very much. Don't change a thing. I had seen those windmills from the freeway before and they look quite impressive. I think that your composition is perfect and your image quality is more than adequate for a backlit photograph.
    Jorge I Rodriguez

Tasty shot. I like the way it highlights two of our renewable resources- wind and solar.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film." - Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques , Page: 37
    Send the Quote in Email

GB1

Thanks everyone - for taking a look and providing feedback!

DrRoebuck, yeah I guess a silhouette will almost always have very high contrast. It sure seems frozen to me, which isn't bad. But I'm getting more ideas: maybe next time I'll bring some ND filters and slow down the shutter enough to get a little rotation blur on the blades.

Thanks jorger101 and Ptax. Did you know they're adding more of these things all over the place? There's a number of them east of San Diego now, and I've heard Oregon has a bunch.

Here's a few more shots,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Palm Springs Windfarm-palmspringswindfarm4_feb2008_px640.jpg   Palm Springs Windfarm-palmspringswindfarm3_2_feb2008_px640.jpg  

My Site

Here's a few more shots,
    I like the second one better. Not perfect (blades clipped and the windmill is leaning) but has a bigger impact than the other does. The sun behind it and the ring don't hurt either. Guess Robert Capa was right

Oh, colors kind of dull though, as you said

Nice work GB. I really like the first one. I am sure it would make a great print. Awesome colors and lighting. Do you do your own scans?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

AG - So what did Robert Capa say (between dodging bullets and crying while looking at the burnt b&w d-day shots)?

Greg - Thanks and yeah I do my own scanning using a nikon coolscan 9000. Decided awhile ago that if I was going to get them the way I wanted them I'd have to buy a high-quality scanner. The 9000 is very exp due to its medium format capability but since I use that film, didn't have much choice :/

My Site

AG - So what did Robert Capa say (between dodging bullets and crying while looking at the burnt b&w d-day shots)?

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough"

The original pic you posted, I found two of the windmills too close to the frame of the photo. Not sure what you could do when you were there.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough"

The original pic you posted, I found two of the windmills too close to the frame of the photo. Not sure what you could do when you were there.
    I agree: the windmills are pretty close to the frame. I was waiting for someone to mention that..

Yeah, but Capa's pix were photo-journalistic. Thinking about that, I would think you would want to be in close to show a lots of facial expressions, mood, action,.. bullets exiting people's heads... stuff like that. I guess there's different approaches with different areas of photography. I sort of find Tuna's shots more like Capa's - a fair amt of humanism, and something I need to work on, to inject into my scenes.

Poor Capa, though... risked his life to land with the combat troops at Normandy, then a lab tech fries most of his film. Arrgg. The few that came out were good though.

Gb

My Site

I agree: the windmills are pretty close to the frame. I was waiting for someone to mention that..
    The Emperor's New Clothes

Yeah, but Capa's pix were photo-journalistic...
    On page 196 of the fifth edition of the book Photojournalism by Kenneth Kobre, it mentions a Joe Elbert, an assistant managing editor for photography at the Washington Post and his dividing of photographs into four hierarchical categories:

1. Informational
    2. graphically appealing
    3. emotional
    4. intimate

With purely informational pictures fall into the lowest category.

Perhaps something to think about.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    The Emperor's New Clothes

On page 196 of the fifth edition of the book Photojournalism by Kenneth Kobre, it mentions a Joe Elbert, an assistant managing editor for photography at the Washington Post and his dividing of photographs into four hierarchical categories:

1. Informational
    2. graphically appealing
    3. emotional
    4. intimate

With purely informational pictures fall into the lowest category.

Perhaps something to think about.
    I might have to pick up that book. I'm guessing that 75% of my shots are graphically appealing and 24% are informational. But I'm always looking for something new.

My Site

Love the original image posted, GB1. Perhaps a bit more frame on the left side could improve but for me this is fine. Looks to be a great stock photo as well as something to frame. I like the subtle color and tones and would not change a thing.
    The second vertical shot you posted is also very good. Clipped blades and all, it works for me. the colors is moody as well as the exposure. Looks like you nailed it well.
    good work here.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 03-15-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Sticking as Featured photo. March 15, 2008
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Fantastic, really like this and I think you have nailed it on your first shot, it is a very ominous scene, love the colours of the hills and the sky and the small windmills in the distance, great stuff, congratulations on the sticky.

Just Lurking

Hi GB - Man, I wander off and get busy and you post a great shot and get a sticky too! Congratulations.

I really like the shot. It has a lot of nice layers and tones. I also like how you've positioned the windmills like flowers with a bunch of "little" ones along the bottom. I also like the sun behind the main windmill - it gives it a sense of power which the windmill ultimately provides. Well done.

PC

The first one you posted is excellent. The gradated tones in the background are so smooth they almost look airbrushed. Beautiful composition. I wouldn't change anything. Good stuff. Congratulations on the Sticky.

GB1

Thks everyone. The Sticky was a big surprise.

Glad you liked it Gary, I think it retrospect that I would add a little more space on the left and right sides, though if I remember I couldn't do that because I was at the widest focal length on the zoom (stepping back farther and I would have lost the sun position). To me it still seems a bit dulled but I guess that's compensated somewhat by the sun and geometry.

Herriot, thanks, the little ones look like blades of grass, eh? Do they have any in Singapore? Might look good against a very blue sky and/ or the water.

Thks PC and Freedom. Took awhile, maybe about 1/2 dozen separate shootings, before I finally thought of framing the windmill head against the sun.

Gb

My Site

Nice work GB, enjoy your time at the top.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

uh i like the third photo, it's so great, turbin with rounded glare.
    the first image i think not enough contrast, it look plain.

GB:

Congrats on a really nice photo. I think you captured this unique subject with a special feel. Might be worth a print and frame job. Congrats on the sticky. Most deserving.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

GB1

Greg - thks, I'm lovin' it

Drew - yeah, I agree, it is sort of plain which is normally bad. But I guess part of the shot is its plainness.. (if that makes any sense). I wish I could have gotten the two side windmills farther into the middle, seems kind of vacant like it is...

CF - I might print it. I want to work on it some more first though.. somehow inject more impact. Not sure how, yet..

G

My Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information