ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Anyone use the Lowepro Photo Trekker AW?

This is the backpack I have and use all the time, but I have never tried to take it on a plane. I'm wondering if anyone has ever flown with this bag. My initial thought was that it's too big to be used as a carry-on bag. Afer some reasearch, and measuring, it appears that if I remove the side pouches, it will meet United Airlines size limit of 45" (L+W+D). I would hate to get to the airport thinking I'm going to be able to cary this bag on with me, only to find out when I get there that I have to check it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Anyone use the Lowepro Photo Trekker AW?

Had one - could probably fit my Malamute in it. I never tried to fly with it but I'd guess it would pass, the "standard issue" wheeled carryon that business travelers and flight attendants use is about the same size or probably even a little longer.

The only thing I wished it had was a flap that could be zipped over the shoulder straps and waist belt. I think one of their bigger packs has this and it would be handy for a lot of situations.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    The only thing I wished it had was a flap that could be zipped over the shoulder straps and waist belt. I think one of their bigger packs has this and it would be handy for a lot of situations.
    Yeah, that would be nice. Those straps are pretty thick! Great when you're using them, cumbersome when you're not.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I have used this bag extensively overseas, and I love it. It fits well in the overhead storage containers, and it has a lot of back support for the treks through the airport.
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Thanks for the info Loren. When you traveled with it, did you have to remove the side pockets from it?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information