Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Under the pier

Under the pier

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums and to dslr photography. I've always loved to take pictures with a point and shoot digital camera, but the dslr has opened my eyes to a whole new world.

Anyways, here is a picture I took at a friend's wedding. I know the backlighting is bad, but was wondering about the composition and seeking advice on how to the overall image better.

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Under the pier-img_1418.jpg  

Re: Under the pier

I would crop out the surfer and all that bad lighting..come down some from the top and take some off from the bottom. Is the the photog important? Maybe even a tighter crop around the couple keeping the tunnel?...do you mind an example crop?
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

Hi bindows, welcome to PR! I was playing around with this shot a bit in editing and Rod pretty much read my mind. I have an example as well, if you are interested in seeing anyone else's takes on this shot. Hope you enjoy your time here at PR and I look forward to your future shots.

Happy Shooting,
    Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Sure thing, I'm always up for suggestions and advice! The reason I had the surfer AND photographer in the shot was because I thought it would capture the "wedding at the beach." I guess it is kind of random.

In this case, I think the pier pretty well conveys that it is at the beach. Here's my crop. I also did some slight levels adjustments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Under the pier-img_1418-2.jpg  
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by bindows
    Sure thing, I'm always up for suggestions and advice! The reason I had the surfer AND photographer in the shot was because I thought it would capture the "wedding at the beach." I guess it is kind of random.
    I think you could leave him there then. After all, we didn't know what you wanted to tell us in the first place. It's a different photo if you crop off the surfer or the photographer. Here it appears the content is more important than the visual impact to the viewers, I think. One way to deal with the surfer, especially one with a red surfing board, is to blur it then de-saturate the color a bit. This way, it doesn't compete much with the main subject of interest in your photo.

One thing I did notice is that the focus seems off.

...anyway, its always good to get different perspectives.
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

Thanks for the replies and perspectives. I'm guessing that the picture looks grainy because I saved it as a small file (50kb). I'm still learning the camera aspect so it'll be a while before I take on the editing portion. Anyhow, it is a lot of fun.

I like your version with just the photog in there. There is a story going on and the context as AE speaks of works really well. It does look good with just the couple, but that turns it into a different image and also the crop for that is rather extreme. The photog and the couple make a great image.
    Nicely seen and captured.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 02-03-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. February 3, 2008
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

The original for me because I like the inclusion of the disinterested surfer. Difficult working conditions here but I think you have got a good shot from it.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Each has its merits but I too am for the original. The surfer, the blown sky, the photog, everything adds to the total and does not take away in my opinion.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

I love the original. That surfer dude in the pic is awesome...
    What beach / pier is that?
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Congrats on the Featured Photo! :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Thanks everyone. That was the Manhattan Beach Pier, California.

photo-mom likes it - photo-mom likes photos with picture-takers in them, but then she is the mom of a photographer! . . . . - making the red a little less red seems like a good idea, but there is the look of wandering through life (for the surfer) . . . he is unconcerned with marriages, photographers, whatever, living in the moment . . . and the look of starting out, imagining there is a future, hopefulness (for our foolish couple) . . and then the 'frame' of the photographer's viewing . . . as a picture . . . an abstraction - i love the juxtaposition . . . p-m

Congratulations on the sticky and welcome to the forum, it is an interesting location to choose for your wedding photographs but the overall result is striking and I think that you did well with this so am looking forward to seeing more from you in the future.

I prefer the crop with the photographer in. The composition is wonderful.
    I LOVE the fact that you captured the photographer. That's something I often miss! Great job!
    Congrats on the sticky and featured photo :thumbsup:

Thread Information