Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: A few bb shots

A few bb shots

Here are a few basketball shots from this week. The gym was much darker than our home gym. It's funny. A few months ago I would have loved these shots but now I'm aware of so much more like cutting feet off and the horizon not being straight etc. I'm learning so much here. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that I'm not a professional but just a mom but I do like the bad with good as that is how I learn. Thanks!

Donna
    Nikon D50
    Nikon 85mm f1.8
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: A few bb shots

Overall you got a lot better shots than what I was able to last night, the refs were to worried about calling traveling about every time down the floor. I really like the shot on the very top and the one with the girls on the floor. Seems like your White Balance is a little off, but that can be fixed with ps, auto white on my D50 doesn't seem to be very good a lot of times I'll use the WB menu and look at the lights in the gym or area and use a preset they seem to be very good.
    You are shooting with the same camera I am, I think the D50 takes amazing shots for all it is, I do wish I had your lens I need fast glass like that.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

The first thing I noticed was the WB, once you set it you need to make sure you change it if you change location too.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I don't know how to do the white balance yet. I've heard you all talk about it on here but I'm not even sure what it is. I've been meaning to read about it in the manual and online but I haven't had a chance yet. That will be the next thing I do. Thanks!

Chris Johnson
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Wow that was fast! ) I'm off to read about it. Thanks!!

if you are going to sell those pics, I'm willing to fix the color on them if you email them to me.

cjohnson@retroactiv.net send me a few, not 100000000 ;) if you are interested.
    Chris Johnson

As a fellow D50 user, I would also suggest Noise Ninja or Neat Image if you're going to be shooting (un)available light at ISO 1600. I use remote strobes to keep the ISO down and help the colors pop, but I realize that isn't always practical for people who don't get paid to take photos. Nice captures though!
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

I think you got some great shots...

I took the last one, and just sharpened it some....
    Not sure if it helped???
    Hope you don't mind....
    oh yeah I cropped it some too....

Have a great day...
    BFiredup
    "The new girl on the block! :blush2: "
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel 300D
    70-200mm USM IS f/2.8L
    EFS 18-55 Kit lens
    Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5.6III
    Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM
    Epson Stylus 1800

Quote Originally Posted by retroactiv
    if you are going to sell those pics, I'm willing to fix the color on them if you email them to me.
    Thanks but I'm not going to sell them. I'm just using them in an end of the year slideshow that I make for all the girls on the basketball team. I do it free, just for fun. Thanks for that link. I did read about the WB and now have an idea what you are all talking about and I played around in PSP and saw the difference. I will try to fix any that I actually use in the video. I appreciate all the help!

Hi BFiredup - No, I certainly don't mind you sharpening it. I think it helps in some ways but does make it more grainy looking. I think I need to learn to focus better! That's my daughter by the way. I realized that I was getting tons of pictures of all the other girls and had hardly any of my own kid so that night I focused a lot on her and why she was in 3 of the photos I showed. She loves the first photo as the #32 is a huge girl and the picture showed her shooting over her. lol Here is a picture of the refs with captains at the beginning and you can see how outsized we were. We lost but it was a good game. I tried fiddling with the WB correction a bit. Does it look any bettter than the others?

Yeah I can see the difference...I am not familiar with your edit program, but in mine, you can change the temperature....and that would get rid of some of the yellow/orange cast....

Believe me I have used all kinds of adjustments when editing...LOL....but shooting RAW, it opens up so you can adjust a ton of things...LOL....

I think the action in your pics are wonderful.....and I know what you mean about doing it for the fun of it...I am with you on that one....
    BFiredup
    "The new girl on the block! :blush2: "
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel 300D
    70-200mm USM IS f/2.8L
    EFS 18-55 Kit lens
    Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5.6III
    Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM
    Epson Stylus 1800

Thread Information