Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    MCHSS.net

This week in HS Hockey

I jumped right to HS Hockey. Luckily a local HS Signed with me for 1 season of game film. I go, I video tape the game. I go home, burn a CD and get it to the coach (who lives right by where I work) the next day. That makes the winter!!

I have been really trying to shoot hockey as well as I can, but it just is so frustrating. But it's an eager learning curve, so I'll take it.

My mentor has strobes that he is not using, so we made a small deal where I can use them all winter and in return, I supply him with the small 3-8 minute video highlights for filler on his site. I will be getting my first lesson shooting NJ HS hockey with them on Thursday.

Wrestling & Basketball start Friday. I will be using the strobes there once I get comfy. I also just got Canon 85 f1.8, so you can see my hopes are high.

Anyway: Here's my hockey takes --

Picture #1: 2nd period of my first game. You would have thought I would have learned by now. Manual f2.8, 1600 ISO at 1/160. They looked great in the viewer ... way over exposed on screen. A separate rink than the pics below.

This week in HS Hockey-_mg_6315.jpg

Picture #2: I stayed for 1 period of the third game of the day. The colors were coming out for these two teams (not this pic) but this was one of the best "GOAL" Pics where there was not 3 kids in front of the puck. Also, this was a lower tier game, so the skaters were much, much slower.

This week in HS Hockey-_mg_8362.jpg

Picture #3: This is my favorite shot of the entire weekend. It's bad enough the opponent is trying to beat you down, then your goalie gets you in the family jewels!
    This week in HS Hockey-_mg_7888.jpg

Picture #4: This was the best action shot, unfortunately, it was so dark. A made a few quick Photoshop jobs on it, but the idea of not getting the crisp picture makes me ill!
    This week in HS Hockey-_mg_8173.jpg
    Last edited by VinnyC01; 12-09-2007 at 08:42 PM.
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel XTi 400D 10.1

Canon EF 300/4L IS
    Canon EF 70-200/4L
    Canon 85mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 85/1.8
    Canon 50/1.4

Sigma 70-200/2.8

Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter

www.MCHSS.com
    www.ELLEandMAX.com

Re: This week in HS Hockey

Not a bad start, I think though you'd be better off with a 70-200 2.8 as it will focus much quicker as well as having IS to help with the movement. But I think your on the right track

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

The third photo would not happen to be the Frederick Freeze Junior B team would it?

Sean

MCHSS.net

No. Its a high school team in NJ, sorry.
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel XTi 400D 10.1

Canon EF 300/4L IS
    Canon EF 70-200/4L
    Canon 85mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 85/1.8
    Canon 50/1.4

Sigma 70-200/2.8

Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter

www.MCHSS.com
    www.ELLEandMAX.com

Gotcha! Great pics by the way! We are a huge Hockey Family! My wife and I have seven children, three of whom play travel hockey. I play as well, and my wife skates with the kids during "Free Time Hockey Pracrtice" several days a week. We just purchased the Nikon D40 with two kit lenses and a 70-300 VR lens just to photgraph the kids at the rink. I have not used the camera yet, as it is actually a gift to the wife and I from Santa. Any suggestions on a complete newbie?
    Merry Christmas,
    Sean
    Nikon 40D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S
    Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4-5.6G VR ED AFS Lens

Thread Information