Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

College football

Central College in Pella Iowa is nationally ranked. Here are a few shots from the game on Saturday. Yes, they won Go Cenral! Comments/suggestions? Central won the game but it was close. Here is a completion in the endzone and a missed past. Feedback welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails College football-dsc_019314390001.jpg  

Re: College football

A second shot of an endzone reception.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can you share with me your camera and lens?
    I have a Canon Rebel xt and I am getting a 200mm f2.8 L lens this week. I shoot four school teams every week and have had real problems with blur using my Sigma 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 lens. I am hoping that this 200mm will help. I found a really good deal on it.
    I would love the canon zoom one, but it is way too expensive for me at this time.

Sure, I'd be happy to tell you what I use. Keep in mind I am returning to photography after about 20 years in retirement. I used to shoot for a small town paper and for a college starting in the late 70's through the mid 80's. So this summer when I purchased new equipment I had a great time learning how far the field had come. Anyway, I now use a Nikon D80. I am very happy that the local store encouraged me to try the Nikon 18-200 lens. It has been great to use. I've heard a lot of others express their desire for this lens and while it is a bit pricey I've been very pleased. I'm probably going to pick up the fastest Nikon 50mm lens I can get before basketball season. I am fortunate that the football I shoot is small college and therefor usually day games so I don't have the evening lighting problems that come with HS games.

I considered a monopod but haven't made the purchase yet. The VR technology on the Nikon lens seems to do the trick to reduce the vibration and I didn't want to drop the $160 on the monopod - yet. But if you don't use a monopod you might give that a shot. Next season I hope to pick up a fast 300 or better zoom lens.

Perhaps this is too much information but if you have any questions, let me know. It's great to get information out of this forum.

Great timing and action there Mule :thumbsup: It looks like your not too rusty with the 20 year layoff

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information