ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: First Snow

First Snow

Ok, it's not actually the first snow - that was last week. But it snowed almost down into the city and there was quite a bit just a bit up the canyons. These photos were all taken near the bottom of Little Cottonwood Canyon, in Salt Lake City. I'm not sure if I'm ready for winter. But it was nice getting out and taking pictures yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Snow-_z3j1866.jpg   First Snow-_z3j1903.jpg   First Snow-_z3j1872.jpg   First Snow-_z3j1877.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Couple More

Here are a couple more. I think these two are the strongest of the bunch, although I'm really excited about everything I shot yesterday. I'm very pleased about the new photo opportunities Utah has to offer. Soon I'll be posting ski photos!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Snow-_z3j1919.jpg   First Snow-_z3j1931.jpg  
    Photo-John

Liz

Re: First Snow

Beautiful shots of beautiful country! I love snow shots when the snow is so fresh. These are perfect with the Autumn leaves.

It's 85 F here in NJ.......may break a record today. It's been quite warm. I hope it snows more this year as we haven't had much snow the past couple of years and I miss it.

I hope you're liking your new country home John! Keep posting those pics.

Liz

Awesome shots John! I'm very jealous. I can't wait til we get some snow here
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Holly cow here in Ohio it is 90 deg today!

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Beautiful shots John. I don't miss that white stuff at all. I haven't seen live snow for a couple of years now.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Wow.

I love the snow on the fall leaves... as I sit here in shorts and a tank top, wondering if I should put the A/C on before my friends get here!

Smile Re: First Snow

Great images photo-john. :thumbsup: We had a bit of snow here last week, not as much as you show, but it was gone by mid-day next day. The new snow on the mountains is here to stay and they will be skiing in some places in a month or so.

Today (Sunday), my wife and I went for our usual 2 - 3 hour drive out into the country north and west of the city, but almost all the birds are gone. Found one pond with a few puddle ducks and some terns, but that was all and most of the leaves are gone from the trees or will be after our winds today. Winter is coming .

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Very nice shots, John - I like the close ups showing the fall color with the snow. Almost 90 here today, and played at a Chili festival yesterday (not exactly chili eating weather...).

Chili

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    not exactly chili eating weather
    What are you talking about? It's always chili-eating weather
    Photo-John

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

When I first started reading this post, I was thinking, it would be cool to see some fresh snow, on some colorful fall leaves. Then I scroll down, and there they are! I'm not ready for snow yet. The wife and I just put over 100 miles on our bikes today looking at the fall colors. It was so damn hot and humid all weekend, it felt like August. I don't ever remember getting a sunburn in October before!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

And Today

Same trail, today. Today I rode my bike. There was almost no snow left on the trail. But it was wet and there's still snow in the trees and plenty of snow left up high. For everyone who's amazed about the snow, consider that the elevation where these pictures were taken is about 6000 feet. And the Wasatch mountains sit on the edge of the desert and when conditions are right they wring the moisture out of the atmosphere. Alta ski resort, which may have the best snow in the world, is at the top of this canyon. I talked to another rider today who said he'd been snowboarding this morning before riding the trail in the afternoon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Snow-_mg_4797.jpg   First Snow-_mg_4787.jpg   First Snow-_mg_4802.jpg  
    Photo-John

Beautiful shots! The color of the leaves with the snow is awesome. Not something I'm used to seeing... ever.

According to my car, it was 93F here in the DC area today. I'm regretting shutting down my pool a few weeks back.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

I love the contrast with the fall colors. That's something I never see in my area.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Beautiful shots PJ. The leaves here in Western Illinois are just starting to change and we're in the middle of that heat wave also, with record temps in the 90's.

I think my favorite image is the first one of your second posting.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Great shots John! I was on my way back from a flight competition in Colorado this weekend and saw some stuff you would have loved. Huge bright yellow aspen groves and thin dusting of snow on an very overcast day by Strawberry Reservoir. Sadly, the camera was in the back of the van, and everyone was pretty anxious to get home so I couldn't get them to stop. But hey, you caught, and those are some fantastic shots.

drg

Re: And Today

Watch that ski photography, I've got knees that do not like me anymore as a result of downhilling.

Great shots and glad you are enjoying that area. It is one photographic opportunity after another in seemingly every direction.

The leaves are not shaping up in this area very well. Took a trip this weekend to an area that usually always is good but seems like it will need a week or more to show if anything is going to happen.

That stream and snow photograph along the rock wall is my favorite of this last group!

Since everyone has chimed in, 88 degrees right now, was so hot yestereday they stopped, yes Stopped the Chicago Marathon for heat, and we are expecting a thirty degree temp drop tonight/tomorrow!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

my friend in seattle said that is was snowing in utah (her previous home ~ cedar city) and we searched the salt lake area temperature wise and couldn't find anything below 75/50-ish.

still i will send her a link to your photos ~ great as they are, i have mixed feelings about snow. great in photos, not so great to live with.

i'll chime in ~ 85 feels like 93 according to weather.com

no sign of even autumn let alone winter.

enjoyed your shots thought.

thanks for sharing.

Lovely images! You could make quite a decent triptych out of those three differently coloured leaves methinks!

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Salt Lake Weather

Quote Originally Posted by threelions usa
    my friend in seattle said that is was snowing in utah (her previous home ~ cedar city) and we searched the salt lake area temperature wise and couldn't find anything below 75/50-ish.
    Salt Lake weather reports are always weird and misleading. Because the city proper is at about 4900 feet, but the mountains go up to 10,000. I can drive up a canyon and be at 9000 feet in 45 minutes. And the mountains and canyons have different weather than the city. So weather reports here are always incomplete. It didn't snow at my house. But I took those pictures only about 20 minutes away from where I live. Today it's warm again (50s-60s).

Cedar City is about 3 hours south of here. So they're usually a bit warmer.
    Photo-John

en route back to seattle from san diego we chose the less traveled but quicker time wise route:

cali-nev-ariz-utah-ida-oreg-wa.

now that's a T-R-I-P especially as we did it in 2 days d-2-d......

got quite a few "pics" through the car window but not much else i am afraid.

very strange alcohol laws you have there in utah ~ specifically in provo (or close to) where we spent the night !!

having to come around the bar to serve your drink, cannot be served from behind the bar !!

i would have walked my legs off if that rule applied here in texas !!

thanks again for sharing

:thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Pretty pics, John...all of them. Have to wonder if the person in the first got a face-full.
    In Western Washington, we never know if we'll get snow but they are saying we will this year due to la-nina. And along with more lowland snow they are also predicting warmer temps..go figure.
    I'm also never far from snow living at the base of Rainier and the Cascades but hope it stays up there.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Awesome picture John. Great way to kick off the start of a new season. Seems strange to even think about snow the kind of weather we have been having. But your images were so refreshing I found myself almost wishing for snow. Then I came back to my right mind.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Color, ahh, who needs it!!
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

The two shots you posted in post #2 are the strongest. the first is a good example of how sometimes a blank sky works well. Greeting card worthy pictures, and more . . .
    Ill be heading to the Litchfield Hills in Connecticut at the end of this month and hope for some good Fall foliage shots. . . these winter scenes are a bit too soon for me now, but looking forward to those as well.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information