Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Skydiving shots

GB1

Skydiving shots

First time I've posted here in Sports. Here are a few freefall photography shots (more in ViewFinder). Most were taken with a helmet mounted camera in freefall.

The one with the jumpers diving out of the back of the Chinook helicopter was taken by their flight engineer whom I lent my camera to and asked to snap some pix (I think he should take up photography). The others were by me with my fancy helmet camera.

Haven't done this in awhile -- It was fun while it lasted.

Edit - The one with the twisted lines was a near-malfunction. Luckily, I was able to quickly clear it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skydiving shots-chambersburgskydivingexit2_crop1.jpg   Skydiving shots-parachutetwist1_px640.jpg   Skydiving shots-schweinfurtexit1_px640.jpg   Skydiving shots-skydive2_px640.jpg   Skydiving shots-skydiveexit1_px640.jpg  

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Skydiving shots

Theres just something wrong with jumpimg out of a perfectly good airplane

I like the bottom one here.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

JS, it's addictive.
    One girl in our office was a parachutist, and she said the rush was everything.
    Even after losing her boyfriend to a double failure, within 6 months she was jumping again.
    There's a risk taker in all of us I think, I do mine on 4 wheels on the track.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

GB1

Hey Paul - sorry to hear about your co-worker's boyfriend. A double malfunction is a very, very unusual situation... I've actually only heard of it happening one other time. The normal procedure if you get a parachute malfunction is to immediately dump your main and fire your reserve, and if that one malfunctions, then try to clear it by yanking on the lines, whatever. (of course you have no other options at that pt...). Good luck with the racing btw.

JS, it might seem like a strange concept to risk it all for sport, but the equipment is top-notch and we only jump under ideal conditions. The fellow on the bottom shot payed for my jump for photographing him here. I think he eventually got out of the sport and went into flying.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information