Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More Track Hi Jinks

Hanging out at a high school track meet this afternoon. Hope you find one you like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More Track Hi Jinks-dsc_1785-2-640.jpg   More Track Hi Jinks-dsc_1879-2-640.jpg   More Track Hi Jinks-dsc_7311-2-640.jpg   More Track Hi Jinks-dsc_7312-2-640.jpg   More Track Hi Jinks-dsc_7433-2-640.jpg  

Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: More Track Hi Jinks

Very nice OT!

Thanks Jimmy. They're not as exciting as your race pics but it was what I had to shot.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

Very nice Larry. The first one is fantastic. I will be sharing my oldest son's last track meet pictures soon.

Thanks Russ. I was about 10 yards behind the finish line and used the 80-200mm with a 1.4x extender. Shot several of this young lady as she lead the pack through the hurdles. I was pleased with several but this is the one my wife picked so it's the one that got posted. I missed getting to the shot and high jump today because I was on the far end of the track at the long jump pit and catching the hurdles at the same time. Looking forward to seeing more of your track pics.

Nikon Samurai #13

OT,

These are beautiful! Were these taken with the D200 and if so, would you mind sharing what Autofocus Area mode you use? I'm still struggling to find the right combination on this camera.

Thanks
    Rob Mac
    My Galleries: www.grumpymagz.net

Larry, that one of the kid landing his broad jump is really good. I'm going to have to try some t & f soon.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by RobMac
    OT,

These are beautiful! Were these taken with the D200 and if so, would you mind sharing what Autofocus Area mode you use? I'm still struggling to find the right combination on this camera.

Thanks
    I was shooting with both the D200 and the D2h yesterday. I think all the long jump and the pole vault were with the D2h and the hurdles were with the D200. I had the 28-70 on the D200 and 80-200 with the 1.4x extender on the D200. Both camera were set the same. Center single focus in continuous and I was using the focus button most of the time to track the action. I was shooting in aperture priority usually at 3.5 or 2.8 except for the impossible lighting situation from shooting right under the bar on the pole vault, that one was shot in manual. Don't know how to maintain any sky and still get decent exposure on the face. I wasn't going to blast it with flash. The kid set a new school record and recorded the second best height in the state in class A for the year.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    Larry, that one of the kid landing his broad jump is really good. I'm going to have to try some t & f soon.
    John
    Thanks John. What I liked about that one was the great expression and the muscle definition that was recorded. Glad you liked it. I enjoy shooting track and field events. Sadly this was the last home meet of the season. Conference and regionals will be away form home this year. When I go on the road I don't get as good of access to the track or the best positions around field events. Rules make it hard on us freelance guys.

Nikon Samurai #13

Oh now THAT is funny OT. The girl clearing the hurdle wearing the "Royals" uniform looks just like a girl in one of our schools....and they too are the Royals.... did you sneak up to Indiana?
    I like the landing in the pit, very nice catch OT\
    I haven't shot a single track meet this year, almost did tonight but I wound up getting there too late and had an assignment to shoot in the cafateria......teachers getting awards for length of service

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

These are very nice OT. I really like the first one. The compostion is nice showing the two girls in the background. She had a pretty nice lead going. The tight shot of the long jumper landing is great.

Jim
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=7705
    Canon 1D Mark IIn
    Canon 40D w/ Vertical Grip
    Canon 300 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    Canon 1.4 TC
    580Ex
    Monopod

Quote Originally Posted by Homer
    These are very nice OT. I really like the first one. The composition is nice showing the two girls in the background. She had a pretty nice lead going. The tight shot of the long jumper landing is great.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. I had a few more of the young lady running the hurdles that were primarily of her. At least one had her in a better position going over the hurdle but like you my wife said that the other two in the background helped tell the story so this image went to the head of the class. As for the long jumper I recorded all three of his jumps and got some nice pictures at different stages of the jump but I loved the expression in this one. I appreciate the look and the comment.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Oh now THAT is funny OT. The girl clearing the hurdle wearing the "Royals" uniform looks just like a girl in one of our schools....and they too are the Royals.... did you sneak up to Indiana?
    I like the landing in the pit, very nice catch OT\
    I haven't shot a single track meet this year, almost did tonight but I wound up getting there too late and had an assignment to shoot in the cafateria......teachers getting awards for length of service

JS
    I wish I could get out of my little Burg and shoot something other than high school sometime. But I guess we have to be content with what we have. I didn't make it to Keeneland for the Spring meet the weather was terrible for most of the meet and I had a new grandson born that keep me from doing a few events I had wanted to. As for the teachers award thing you can have all of that you want. Had my fill of that kind of photography years ago.

Nikon Samurai #13

It was kind of funny when I walked in last night.....everyone looked at me like I had taken a wrong turn Also odd was the fact there wasn't a single teacher there I knew and not one of them knew who I was or that I was there for a paper.... I guess they will find out next Tuesday when it hits the stands
    And I had enough of that kind of shooting last night, but then I heard the track meet was just as boring

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I just wanted to thank you for showing me how to take hurdle pictures. Since I am very new to picture taking, I used your idea where to stand. I know it isn't as good a picture as yours but the girl was so excited when she saw the shot. That made me more motivated to get better.
    Any ideas to help would be apprecated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well I finally got to shoot some track. It turned into a VERY long day, first at the race track and and then runnin around from one track and field event to another. Not to mention I got a bit sunburned at the race track....my arms are very sore....

Anyway here are a couple from tonight.

1: Pole vault, this place is great for this and lon jump as you can shoot from below them and get sky for the background.

2: this girl won both the discus and shotput, winnin the shot by almost 6 feet!

3: Gotcha! County rivals cross the line, the girl in blue squeaked out 4th place over her southern rival.

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More Track Hi Jinks-js070536.jpg   More Track Hi Jinks-js070561.jpg   More Track Hi Jinks-js070800.jpg  
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by depack
    I just wanted to thank you for showing me how to take hurdle pictures. Since I am very new to picture taking, I used your idea where to stand. I know it isn't as good a picture as yours but the girl was so excited when she saw the shot. That made me more motivated to get better.
    Thats a very good start there. I'd probably lighten it up a bit to et some of the shadow out but otherwise very good. As with most sports it's all in the timing. With most digital cameras you have to shoot earlier than you expect due to shutter lag. I try to time it so they are about half way over the hurdle, but it takes some practice to time them like that.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by depack
    This is a great shot. I very big thing is location for shots on most sports. With track when I am shooting a meet at my home school I have very good access to about anywhere I want to shoot. However once the regionals and other big meets start access gets pretty restricted to some of the better shooting locations. Take advantage of what you can when you can.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Well I finally got to shoot some track. It turned into a VERY long day, first at the race track and and then runnin around from one track and field event to another. Not to mention I got a bit sunburned at the race track....my arms are very sore....

Anyway here are a couple from tonight.

1: Pole vault, this place is great for this and lon jump as you can shoot from below them and get sky for the background.

2: this girl won both the discus and shotput, winnin the shot by almost 6 feet!

3: Gotcha! County rivals cross the line, the girl in blue squeaked out 4th place over her southern rival.

JS
    Looks like you got off to a pretty good start with your first meet. I shot a meet yesterday and about ran myself silly and still seemed to arrive just a few seconds late to get the shots I wanted. They were so efficient running the meet yesterday it almost made me sick. I just couldn't get from one event to another quick enough.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Looks like you got off to a pretty good start with your first meet. I shot a meet yesterday and about ran myself silly and still seemed to arrive just a few seconds late to get the shots I wanted. They were so efficient running the meet yesterday it almost made me sick. I just couldn't get from one event to another quick enough.
    LOL, I know the feeling, however the sports editor made it easy on me by telling me who he wanted. I shot those kids and got a few others as well. At one point we had a 30 minute lightning delay so I went home (8/10ths of a mile away) and the editor called when they started again. I was walking up just in time to get his next request He later said it's good I live 2 minutes away and not 3

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Old Timer, Great shots. Wish I could get mine to look that great.
    I went to a track meet monday. Several officials said I could go into the
    arena and get closer.
    BUT, I was not allowed to walk on the grass!!! Hmmmm! where was I to
    stand on the track?

Quote Originally Posted by rovowen
    arena and get closer.
    stand on the track?
    lol, you must have a different IHSAA rulebook in your part of the state I guess you have to either stand on the track or in the long jump pit. It would definately make the races more interesting if you were on the track

Thats OK, our officials waited 40 minutes after the FIRST close lightning strike to remove everyone until it blew over. We got done at 9:30pm, 2 hours earlier than las year

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by rovowen
    arena and get closer.
    stand on the track?
    Thanks rovowen. Your situation does pose something of a problem. I am very luck in that the meet officials at our home school all know me and give me pretty much free access to where ever I want to go. This is not the situation should I go to a conference or regional meet. Tuesday night I was actually lying on my belly behind the starter shooting up at the runners with a wide angle as they came out of the blocks. No one even questioned me. these are the kind of shots that usually get taken with a remote camera setup like Brent's lx goal shots.

Nikon Samurai #13

Great Job Old Timer, every one of those are great.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Congrats on your featured photo OT! You are more then deserving. It's an awesome shot! :thumbsup:
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite