Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

some of my Misc. racing shots

I have a very base Camera and Lense, I have not been able to upgrade either yet as we all race ourselves,so money is abit tied up at the moment.
    Ive made due with what I have , but find outdoor MX racing ALOt easier to use than for shooting indoors.
    Heres a link to a fw of my pics
    http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies

Can ya'll tell me what Tele Lense would be best for both indoor (stadium)and outdoor for my Camera?
    Also, what Flash do I go with??
    I have the Rebel XT ,
    These are a few of my Favorites, I have alot more nice photos but they are all on disc right now.
    This is my Daughter

Re: some of my Misc. racing shots

Track in Utah I visited this summer

Saint Anthonys Sand Dunes in Idaho

indoor FT series,pit bikes

Thisone I was playing with the photo trying to come up with soemthing creative

I thought these turned out pretty good considering all the dust we had

My Son

MY Husband

It took many shots to get anything decent,sometimes it feels liek a waste when I have such a slow lense,but I still enjoy shooting sport events!
    Ive taken over 10,000 in a year nio this Camera so I had tried various settings
    My Lense is a Canon 75-3004-5.6- it is not the IS either.

Hope you enjoyed the pics!
    Tina

Go with the canon 70-200 F2.8 . Yes it's spendy but you will love it.Jimmy B

Can you tell me the best place to purchase from??
    Whats the price on one and /or where to buy ? I dont think most of the Camera shops here locally REALLY know what they are selling(been there...done that..!)
    Im guessing around 1800.00??:mad2:
    Will it fit my XT body OK?
    Does it work well with the XT Camera?

Does Canon make a 28-200 2.8 ?
    All things considered,Im hoping all this practice with a base laense, will make me a TERIFFIC photographer when I do get a nice lense.
    Last edited by QuadJunkies; 12-10-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Just thought I'd stop in to take a peek. Very impressed with the one titled "my husband" and the one in the sand dunes!
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thank you Very much!

I took a few at the dunes I liked,one was a lilte dark around the face and chest, but I like how the sand is caught in almost like a shadow off the bottom of his quad.
    Do you think Ill shoot alot better and obviously, better results once I get a better lense?
    Like I already mentioned, Im a littlefusterated with my resources right now,its just tough to cough up at the moment .

I LOVE this shot, only wish I had the proper settings at the time(wasnt sure much about ISO at that time)

Thiswas a great wk end of riding, I cant WAIT to ty more next summer now that I have learned more with my Camera!

Loupey, I stopped by and looked at your website...
    Absolutely BREATHTAKING photos!

I had to go and pick sport photography... LOL! Thats tough stuff to shoot!

The 2.8 lens will only improve on what you have with your XT. Canon "L" glass is the only way to go. I want more and will get some down the line. Search around and find the best deal.
    Great looking shots.
    Jimmy B

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuadJunkies
    Do you think Ill shoot alot better and obviously, better results once I get a better lense?
    Like I already mentioned, Im a littlefusterated with my resources right now,its just tough to cough up at the moment .
    IMO, the best possible thing that any photographer can do to improve is to push his/her own existing equipment to its full potential. That way, one learns new techniques and one can focus more on the subject instead of trying to constantly learn new equipment.

My advice is always the same. First and foremost, thoroughly understand and practice the fundamentals (exposure, composition, timing, focus). Forcing yourself to shoot full manual (exposure and focus) will help expedite this.

A good eye (attached to a good brain and hands) is always better than a good lens
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

B & H sells the 70 - 200 IS for around $1600. I got the non IS for around $1200. It is a great lens and will help improve your shots somewhat. It will still come down to exposure, timing and focus. Your shutter speeds will be able to go up with the 2.8. It is a lot of money, but it is a call you will have to make.

Good luck..Phil

You have a great eye with those shots.

I love the airborn ones and the one withthe dark sand trail under the quad is awesome.

As others have mentioned the 70-200 f2.8 would definitely improve the brightness of your shots but you seem to be doing quite well with the equipment that you have.

Keep it up and keep posting.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I would say #1 purchase ought to be the 580EX flash.
    While you keep shooting into the sun, or against the sky, no lens however good is going to get more light in the rider's face in those quad shots.
    For other events where there's less light, I too have the 70-200 f2.8 IS
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Ya'll are AWESOME!
    I appreicate ALL your help more than you know ;)

I think I can swing this one
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Canon...oductDetail.do
    or

Can someone please tell me what the big dif is between the two,other than one is IS and one is not?
    Will this have much effect between the two lenses? I would like to get it before I shoot Nationals next month, I just cant quite squeeze the more expensive one right now,but could afford the Flash and one lense I think for the one w/o IS
    Thoughts??
    Also, BOTH these lenses will fit an XT-Correct?
    I

alot of times for Quad shots, I dont always have the choice in having the sun directly behind me, in most instances, its beside me most of the day
    Last edited by QuadJunkies; 12-16-2006 at 10:56 PM.

This is another one of my Favorites.

The IS is great for low light shots with out the flash. This was taken in PHX, Az back in Nov. during the truck race Friday night. Mr. Norman Krentz, Long time friend of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails some of my Misc. racing shots-img_1096_1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by QuadJunkies
    Ya'll are AWESOME!
    I appreicate ALL your help more than you know ;)

I think I can swing this one
    or

Can someone please tell me what the big dif is between the two,other than one is IS and one is not?
    Will this have much effect between the two lenses? I would like to get it before I shoot Nationals next month, I just cant quite squeeze the more expensive one right now,but could afford the Flash and one lense I think for the one w/o IS
    Thoughts??
    Also, BOTH these lenses will fit an XT-Correct?
    I

alot of times for Quad shots, I dont always have the choice in having the sun directly behind me, in most instances, its beside me most of the day
    The major difference is the IS, but the glass and mechanics are slightly different as well. The higher priced model is the 3rd generation IS. Both fit the XT.
    Those prices are pretty high for those lenses! Check these out: http://hotbuyselectronics.com/canon_zoom_lenses.htm
    I bought from them a couple years back and they delivered on time, just don't let them try to sell you the "extras". I made my order on a Sunday afternoon and by 9pm it was already showing up in UPS's shipping tracking! I recieved the items before 7pm Tuesday. I was pretty satisfied with the place even though their name just screams SCAM. I later found out that the place is actually multiple business with multiple websites selling the same stuff at different prices, I just happened to find the one with the best prices
    Anyway, you can get the IS version and flash with these prices.

After you get your new glass, no matter who you get it from get a Hoya UV(0) filter, and make sure it's the 0 and not another number. It's around $46 but it's a cheap insurance policy for damage to your glass! And it won't affect color.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Oh yes, a filter will be guarenteed.. I always shoot with one
    circuit city was just an example ,I wasnt neccesarily going to buy from there,I actually thought about getting it where I bought my Camera( buydig.com) it was just an examlpe, I seen other sites for lees, but theres still quite a dif. in price between the two

I still think I may go with the cheaper of the two,its def. ALOT more lense than what I have now .
    Jimmy- Phoenix is where Ill be headed for Natioanls next month too

I bought the lense today, Ill try and get the flash in two weeks- Im so stoked!

I was told to also get a Flash battery pack? Ive never used an external flash before , so Im clueless to exactly what that is.??
    Is this another thing that runs off an additional battery for back up source?
    I will be getting the 580ex flash and also a battery grip.

I had such great light for this race
    Last edited by QuadJunkies; 12-17-2006 at 11:37 PM.

Thats a POTW shot there! But it will probably be next weeks as SW already this one. Nice job there!

The battery pack for the 580EX just gives quicker cycling times. you can do it without it though by using the flash manually or using fill flash mode to get quicker cycle times. The only thing with the pack is it gives you better full flash cycle times. i haven't bothered to get one as it it just another thing to carry around, damage, lose or get ripped off. The 580EX has plenty of shots (700) in fill flash mode so I thats enough.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thanks, glad ya like it! that again was with the 75-300 non IS lens, I had really good results that day shooting!
    thanks for the info on the battery pack, that will allow me some time to recoop from the expense if I dont really need it just yet.. LOL
    Im doing some indoor shots Jan. 5th so Ill be excited to give the new lense a try

you all have been a great help-thanks again ;)

btw...whats SW,sorry Im still a somewhat nebiew here lol

Tina

Hi Tina.....hmmm, i should check bio's more often :blush2: Glad to help! SW is SmartWombat, the man who picks the POTW normally.

Wow, you took that with the 75-300? Thats the best shot I have EVER seen with that lens! I had one at one time but returned it after 6 months as it was just plain JUNK! It had issues with the barrel coming loose all the time and I had it fixed 6 or 7 times. The last time I told them to keep it and traded it for another lens.

The 70-200 is much heavier than what your used to, so get used to the wieght and practice with it before going out and shooting a whole day or you'll be very sore But don't cheat and use a monopod, get used to it because shooting action a monopod just gets in the way, especially with unpredictable action. And shoot safe, always have a way out!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information