Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Lacrosse

wannabe

Lacrosse

It just so happens, I live in Gaffney SC. Hom of the 2 time Div II Lacrosse National Champion Limestone Saints.

I wanna shoot some Lacrosse pics. Anybody got any tips on positioning? I have never watched a Lacrosse match(game, match?) so I do not know the flow of the game at all. IS it like hockey/soccer?

Also, are the playing fields surrounded with mesh? The Saints practice feild is.
    My name is Scott, and I take pictures.

Canon Rebel XT
    EF L 70-200 f/2.8
    Speedlite 580 EX
    SanDisk Ultra IIs

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Re: Lacrosse

ah ha! now you've entered my specialty area. if you didn't already know, the lax in my name stands for lacrosse. What I would recommend is shooting from the corners if you have access. Most of the time I shoot from the corners or the endline directly in from the corners, if I can. Here's an example of this type of shot.

As you can see , it allows you a bit of a look at the goalie as well as the shooter.

Also, if yo shoot directly from behind the goal of from a bit to the left or right, you can get some great expressions when players are charging towards the goal. here's an example of one of those type of shots.

don't forgot to shoot midline too though. This will allow you to capture the transition game, as the players bring the ball upfield. Here's an example of a midline shot.

Shooting from the midline will allow you to capture goalie saves as well.

Also, shooting from the side and a bit to the front of the goal will allow you photos from the side such as this one.

The pace of the game is VERY fast, especially with the saints. I've watched them play a lot before, and while dII is a bit more stand-still than top-tier DI and DIII teams, DII still works at a fast pace. What I would recommend is learning the game before you shoot it. You will not get good photos if you don't understand the game, because unlike other sports, you can not just focus on the player with the ball. you have to be able to anticipate passes, shots, hits, etc. It's a very challenging sport to shoot, but the intensity that is present in the game makes the reward very high if you can get those good shots. But like I said, it's VERY fast and if you usually shoot football, i recommend you just go and watch a couple games first before shooting. It's an entirely different game. I would compare it to hockey on feet, except the ball is being passed in the air and the pace is faster.

And no, the fields are not surrounded with netting. Only indoor arenas are surrounded by netting. I have never seen an NCAA field with netting on it.

So that's the advice I have for you. If you have any more questions, or are confused by any of the rules, feel free to ask. I've been playing for about 6 years. So just stay low, and keep moving around (if you have access to it). best of luck.

Oh and you'll want a 300mm (at least) maybe with a 1.4x converter on it for midline shots, and a 70-200 for behind the net, with a 70-200 with 1.4x for the corner shots.

Oh and i just remembered, they won't let you on the endline. This is a new NCAA rule. but if you ever shoot it in highschool, you can go on the endline. Just not in college.

And like I was saying about the wide-angle lens, get creative and put a box in the back of the goal if they'll allow you access. It can make for some SWEET photos. I'm going to see if my former highschool will let me do that this season.

-Brent

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

would compare it to hockey on feet
    Er, hockey is played on feet.
    It's ice hockey that's played on skates

except the ball is being passed in the air and the pace is faster.
    Ah, soiunds like hurling (gaelic game).
    A double-sided stick like ice hockey, not single sided like hockey.
    Very fast game, with hand passes as well.
    Oh and no sissy rules like 'turning' and 'sticks' in hockey
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

pshhh...hockey is the same as ice hockey. you know what I mean. Stop being difficult.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Me, difficult, surely not
    Just sometimes I forget we don't quite speak the same language.
    I suppose a single handed attempt to put the "i" back in Aluminium will fail.

Seriously now, I think that last shot is excellent !

When you're shooting from in the goal, do you use a radio shutter release?
    What camera do you use?
    I would want something expendable !
    How on earth could you insure a camera that's used like that ?
    It owuld think it's a risk that mist insurers would avoid ... expensive camera, flying balls and players, sounds a recipe for a payout.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Aluminium? You're crazy. haha.

anyways, about shooting from the back of the net, yes you use a radio slave to trip the shutter. You can use any camera you want, but something with a small enough crop factor so that you can go wide. the 19-35mm on my 1d will do fine. And you don't just stick the camera in the goal, you construct a clear box out of lexan and stick THAT in the back of the goal, magic-armed to a post. Just make sure you have a backup body that you can use to shoot to action while your other body is in the cage. I plan to either get an xti or 30d this winter with my bestbuy discount. And I tend to be avoided by most insurers anyways, since I am in college and no one wants to insure a college kid.

For more of an article on remote cameras in the goal here: http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1611

The lexan isn't going to break, but i guess the vibration, and just the speed that it hits the case would ultimatley break something inside the camera. Good idea though :thumbsup:

Most of the balls don't hit the box at high speed. at any level you are taught to shoot for the corners of the goal. If the shooter is good, it will hit the corner and just stop and drop to the ground because the net is so tight in the corners. rarely does it fly all the way into the back of the net at full speed, unless you manage to shoot underhand between the goalie's legs, or there is no goalie in net. People have been shooting with lexan boxes for a little while now, primarily with hockey.

Thread Information