ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

I *REALLY* miss the sun...

Okay, this post is gonna seem WAY out there...

Here in the Upper Midwest winter has already started to rear its ugly head (snow flurries, a colder than usual autumn, strong winds, overcast, etc...). I'm a HUGE cycling nut and the weather has already cut into my riding time - already gained about five lbs. I only mention this because exercise does wonders for those who suffer from S.A.D. (seasonal affect disorder) i.e. me.

But oddly enough, for me, looking at abstract images seems to offer some relief. (For those with Mac computers, the iTunes' Visual Effects helps too!)

So, to counter the affects of the on-coming winter blues, I thought I'd offer some of my own abstracts...

I know what you're thinking...

ut:

Only five more months 'til Spring, right?:yikes:

See you in the sunshine,
    Max

Image #1: A wall back stage where painters cleaned their brushes after painting stage props.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Max P D; 11-01-2006 at 07:00 PM. Reason: reformat post
    "Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire." - Reggie Leach

Re: I *REALLY* miss the sun...

Image #2: A roof support running through ceiling tile at a scrap booking store.
    "Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire." - Reggie Leach

Image #3: Spray paint on a wall in a defunct hospital.

Image #4: Bullet hole in truck door.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Hey, Max! I know about S.A.D too well. Even bought one of those lights. Western Wa seems to have a lot of it.
    Keep the blinds up, Walk when you can't ride.
    I like your abstracts.
    How is it that phtographers seem to see stuff no one else does.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey Max

Thanks for posting these pics. You have a great eye for abstracts. I wonder if you also see the same basic shape repeated in each of these?

Hang in there buddy!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Hey, Max! I know about S.A.D too well. Even bought one of those lights. Western Wa seems to have a lot of it.
    Keep the blinds up, Walk when you can't ride.
    I like your abstracts.
    How is it that phtographers seem to see stuff no one else does.
    Thanks Frog!

Yep, I've got an Ott-Lite that seems to help... I've started back up at running too.

I remember some people hooting on me when I shot the yellow and black abstract.

Max

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

I hear ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Max P D
    Re: I 'REALLY' miss the sun...
    On my annual November trip to Chicago, the biggest thing I have to used to is how early it gets dark.

Summers in Central Florida, depending on the cloud cover, it stays light until well past 8 or 8:30pm. Even now, beginning of November, it stays light until probably 6:30 or 7pm.

Seems like it got dark around 4 or 4:30pm last year in Chicago! :cryin:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Hey Max

Thanks for posting these pics. You have a great eye for abstracts. I wonder if you also see the same basic shape repeated in each of these?

Hang in there buddy!

Rick
    Thanks a bunch Rick!

Wow, you're right. I hadn't seen it in all of them until you pointed it out. Three and four definately have the same shape obviously and you can kind of make it out in the others...

Thanks again,
    Max

Re: I hear ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    On my annual November trip to Chicago, the biggest thing I have to used to is how early it gets dark.

Summers in Central Florida, depending on the cloud cover, it stays light until well past 8 or 8:30pm. Even now, beginning of November, it stays light until probably 6:30 or 7pm.

Seems like it got dark around 4 or 4:30pm last year in Chicago! :cryin:
    "Summers in Central Florida, depending on the cloud cover, it stays light until well past 8 or 8:30pm. Even now, beginning of November, it stays light until probably 6:30 or 7pm."

Hey Steve-O, are you mocking me? :lol:

Stay warm,
    Max

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

In Washignton state, we forget what our houses look like as we go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. By December it is dark by between 4 and 4:30 and not light until 8 or so.
    Of course we make up for it more in summer where it is light from 4:30 until almost 10.
    Our Canadian friends have it even more dramatic and Alaska.
    In Washington, also, its generally gray almost all winter which doesn't help.

love the bullet hole...great colors
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Hey Steve-O, are you mocking me?...
    Hmmm, not sure why you ask that. I was trying to tell you what's "normal" for my area, and that the midwest seems totally different (with it getting dark there much earlier). I find the early darkness a tad depressing when I don't expect it.

I thought that's what you were talking about. Did I miss something???

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Hi Max,

I'm sorry to hear you have such a rough time with S.A.D. Not as many people have that problem down here, but I've often considered moving to the Pacific NW and wondered if it would bother me. My complaint is the stupid time change. Last week I had a good hour of light after work, but that's gone now. I'm actually planning to get up before sunrise tomorrow to get off a few shots before work. Very soon, that option will be gone too.

I like your abstract shots and I'm glad to see you found a constructive way to deal with the darkness. There is an unlimited supply of subject matter when it comes to abstract shots.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Hi Max,

I'm sorry to hear you have such a rough time with S.A.D. Not as many people have that problem down here, but I've often considered moving to the Pacific NW and wondered if it would bother me. My complaint is the stupid time change. Last week I had a good hour of light after work, but that's gone now. I'm actually planning to get up before sunrise tomorrow to get off a few shots before work. Very soon, that option will be gone too.

I like your abstract shots and I'm glad to see you found a constructive way to deal with the darkness. There is an unlimited supply of subject matter when it comes to abstract shots.

Paul
    Hey Paul!

Thanks for your support and compliments! Don't pity me too much cuz it's a managable condition.

I guess the darker side of the cloud could be found further north where they can get cabin fever...

Too bad about you losing light before you get off work. Here in Michigan during the winter we go to work in the dark and then go back home in the dark (and it's overcast most of the time too).

At least it's warm down there. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    In Washignton state, we forget what our houses look like as we go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. By December it is dark by between 4 and 4:30 and not light until 8 or so.
    Of course we make up for it more in summer where it is light from 4:30 until almost 10.
    Our Canadian friends have it even more dramatic and Alaska.
    In Washington, also, its generally gray almost all winter which doesn't help.
    "its generally gray almost all winter which doesn't help."

I hear ya Frog, same here buddy...

Cheers,
    Max

Hmmm, not sure why you ask that. I was trying to tell you what's "normal" for my area, and that the midwest seems totally different (with it getting dark there much earlier). I find the early darkness a tad depressing when I don't expect it.

I thought that's what you were talking about. Did I miss something???
    Hi Steve!

Nope you got it right. :thumbsup: I wasn't trying to give you a hard time or anything, but just trying to make light of the situation - hopefully, not at your expense. Here in Michigan it's already getting dark by about 5:30 - or earlier if overcast - like you mentioned. My apologies if I offended. It wasn't my intent.

Happy shooting,
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    love the bullet hole...great colors
    Natalie,

Thanks so much! It was my first "successful" abstract that kind of got me started... Back in the day when people shot film.

Cheers,
    Max

My apologies if I offended. It wasn't my intent...
    Not neccessary. I thought you thought I was making light of your problem (oooh - bad pun not intended), which of course, I wasn't. I like the posted shots a lot..

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Not neccessary. I thought you thought I was making light of your problem (oooh - bad pun not intended), which of course, I wasn't. I like the posted shots a lot..
    Thanks Steve!

" I thought you thought I was making light of your problem (oooh - bad pun not intended)"

HA! Good one Steve-O!

Cheers,
    Max

Hello again friends!

Thank you to all who have had kind words and offered support against S.A.D.

I think there's a silver lining to all this "seasonal gloom" here in Michigan and elsewhere where the sun seems sparse.

I'm proposing some sort of project for myself to document this doom - specifically with the Holga camera. To me, the Holga "look" would be perfect. Now all I gotta do is get some 800 ISO film to capture all this bleakness surrounding me! Since the loss of sunlight and weather tends to keep me inside, this is the perfect opportunity to get outside!

I'm geeked! :thumbsup: :crazy: :rolleyes5: ut:

Cheers!
    Max

Sounds like you've got a good start to an interesting project. It could be just the thing you need, too. I've got a little bit of the upper-midwest-november-grey-skies-blues but fortunately I sit all day in a windowless office and have no idea if it's sunny, rainy or there's a tornado coming.

Wait, did I say fortunately?

I worked one winter in a windowless office (painted grey, presumably for color accuracy on our computer screens ... except we rarely did color work). I came to work in the morning at sunrise, then left at night after dark. I'd get one glimpse of daylight when I'd go to lunch.

I was constantly sick.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information