ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

My first large format negative

I finally got my LF equipment and have been renting lenses to see which is my cup of tea.

I've settled on two, a 75mm(equiv to 20mm) and 150mm (equiv to 45mm). Alas I don't have a scanner yet, but you can see the difference in size from LF to 35mm. It's truly incredible, but it will take a long time to master the art of large format. A lot of movements to consider.

Still, I am excited about getting critical focus on near and far subjects and improving on my landscape photography. One more week of practice, and Karen I go to Montana.

Loren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first large format negative-dscf0003.jpg  
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: My first large format negative

SO which size did ya get? In my photo class last semester we got to use some 4x5 view cameras. They were tanks, but I loooved shooting with it. One of these days when I have some time (well, actually the money) I'm gonna pick up one.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Pretty amazing to see 4x5 transparencies on a light table in person - they almost look 3D. I know that you know exposure very well so I'm not surprised that it looks good (hard to tell here of course but I'd be surprised by anything different). So how do you enjoy working with the camera, the slowing down, zen and the art sort of thing?

Wow, that must be exciting! There is a huge difference. I'm eager to see your photos from Montana. Good luck!

Paul

The Toyo actually works very well, and it feels natural to my photographic style. I don't take a lot of shots, but try to nail the ones that I like.

The zen part of it is nice, and it makes nature photography a lot of fun. It's very close to painting in a way, and very much a case work in physics with lines and persepective....

I think exposure is easier if you are used a light meter. The 35mm's exposure is off because of matrix metering, while I used a base exposure and set the LF camera. No meter to fool. I didn't have my graduated filters so I couldn't quite balance the top part out.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Hi..

I got a Toyo View 45Aii used from KEH for less than half the price new. Everything except the quickload film holder is used so it wasn't too bad..

Plus I sold off the remaining studio equipment to finance it.

It is a tank, but so is my RZ67.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey Loren

I am following your LF progress very eagerly. I am starting to crave the adjustments and neg size of LF myself. Just last week I was on photo.net reading their LF tutorial and then of course I was on KEH looking at prices...

I look forward to more pictures and more stories of your experience!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I am following your LF progress very eagerly.
    You too, eh? For me I think it's the whole idea of slowing down and really focusing on one thing which is very much unlike normal life. I don't know that it is something I would get into myself, but it is intriguing.

Funny how matrix metering is advertised as the best thing in the world, but after time you realize that there isn't anything better than a good 'ol fashioned spot meter. Not that it's always the right tool for the job but just like LF it will make you slow down and think a little bit. Saw that about the sky being bright - wasn't sure if it was just the way the shot was posted (probably digital camera shot of light table?). I'm sure your Montana shots will be great, be sure to share!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Nice stuff Loren!
    I am also looking forward to seeing more!
    Thanks for sharring.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Large Format???

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    I finally got my LF equipment and have been renting lenses to see which is my cup of tea.

I've settled on two, a 75mm(equiv to 20mm) and 150mm (equiv to 45mm). Alas I don't have a scanner yet, but you can see the difference in size from LF to 35mm. It's truly incredible, but it will take a long time to master the art of large format. A lot of movements to consider.

Still, I am excited about getting critical focus on near and far subjects and improving on my landscape photography. One more week of practice, and Karen I go to Montana.

Loren
    You don't fool around, do you my friend?

I see you prefer the wide angles. Naturally. After all, aren't landscapes the reason folks buy a large format camera?

I must admit, I'm surprised you still have the RZ67. Which makes it even more surprising to me that you bought a large format camera. I guess some guys are just never satisfied.

;-)

Enjoy your new gear, and we expect to see some of those Montana shots.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Hey Speedo...

I have the medium format because I use it for stock photography and landscapes, but it should be getting less use on the landscape side.

My wife and I took an impromptu road trip to the Eastern Sierras, and coming through Yosemite on the way home. The large format comes in handy when you have large granite peaks, and stream in the foreground. Only with large format can you get both things in sharp focus and with perspective control.

I sold my studio lighting equipment, but plan to keep my film cameras. I've bought everything I have used so my total investment is much lower than you would expect.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Hey Rick,

After doing an impromptu road trip with my wife and ending up in Yosemite yesterday, I think you would enjoy LF very much. I had a lot of fun with the LF camera and it made composition easier. I could get closer to the base of Half Dome and using front rise bring the face straight.

Overall, it's pretty cool and the field cameras are pretty easy to set up. You are limited to what type and range of movents with a field camera but it's been easier to learn with.

If you email me I can forward you a link to a large format only forum with a ton of LF users. They have made the transition a little easier.

Hopefully we can unbury some of the LF users on this forum .
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Nice sample! I love big transparencies. You know I love digital. But just like there's no experience that compares to working in the darkroom, there's nothing that compares to a 4x5 transparency jumping out at you from the light table.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Cool! I'm eager to play. Renting equipment is a smart idea, I hadn't even considered that. Please send me the link in a pm, I will start reading up. Not that I have the money to invest yet, but Christmas is coming...
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thread Information