ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Olympus Stylus 800 Digital Camera Test

Ok, so this isn't the official review. That will be done in a day or so. But since the camera is weatherproof, I had to give it a real test. On Saturday we did a couple hours at 40 degrees farenheit, in the pouring rain. Couldn't have asked for a better test for this camera. The ride could have been better, though. Not that we didn't have fun. But I kinda like to be able to feel my fingers and toes at the end of a ride.

That's kafin8ed in the red jacket. He picked a great weekend to drive up from LA and ride with us. He got a good taste of Nor Cal winter mountain biking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Olympus Stylus 800 Digital Camera Test-p1010091.jpg   Olympus Stylus 800 Digital Camera Test-p1010098.jpg   Olympus Stylus 800 Digital Camera Test-p1010051.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

A Couple More

Just so you know, I made some fairly significant adjustments made to these photos. They were very dark and had far less saturation. The photos were shot at 1/10th - 1/20th of a second and there's a lot of motion blur from camera shake and noise from the ISO 400 setting. But they're fun photos and they wouldn't have happened with very many other cameras. I've got no complaints, really.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Olympus Stylus 800 Digital Camera Test-p1010055.jpg   Olympus Stylus 800 Digital Camera Test-p1010095.jpg  
    Photo-John

Re: Olympus Stylus 800 Digital Camera Test

Cool pictures. I really like the first one. You can see the specs of sand flying.

I wish my winter was a bit more like yours. I haven't gotten any shots outside lately. Today was -16 F with the wind chill.

Re: Olympus Stylus 800 Digital Camera Test

John,

Great shots and was interested to see how a "weatherproof" camera would turn out. Glad to know it went great.

Nice shots,

Jared

Still Works!

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    Great shots and was interested to see how a "weatherproof" camera would turn out. Glad to know it went great.
    Jared-
    The Olympus Stylus 800 Digital is the latest in a long, long line of weatherproof point-and-shoots form Olympus. It all started with the original Olympus Stylus 35mm P&S. It's a classic and a secret weapon of many, many pro photographers. I used to have a Yashica T4 Super, another weatherproof 35mm point-and-shoot. So they've been around for a long time. They're just sort of new to the digital world.
    Photo-John

Re: A Couple More

John I love all of these but the first and last are real keepers. Love them both. That looks like a very interesting little camera I'll be looking fo the review.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Still Works!

John, These are really great fun pics.
    Good to know how that camera handles!
    -Bek

Liz

Re: A Couple More

These are really nice. How much are they asking for this Olympus digital version? Just curious - not thinking of buying.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Just so you know, I made some fairly significant adjustments made to these photos. They were very dark and had far less saturation. The photos were shot at 1/10th - 1/20th of a second and there's a lot of motion blur from camera shake and noise from the ISO 400 setting. But they're fun photos and they wouldn't have happened with very many other cameras. I've got no complaints, really.

Thread Information