Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Thread: RAW processing

RAW processing

I never bothered with raw files before, as I like to get my shots right in camera and I am not that great with photoshop, however I am shooting a wedding in january and would like to develop a workflow that I can use then.

With this in mind I took a couple of shots in dual mode so I can have a play with the raw file and compare the output I get to the jpeg. The problem is that my copy of photoshop (cs4) doesn't open the cr2 file my camera creates.

Is it worth buying a copy of lightroom? what sort of workflow do people use? for what sort of image?
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Re: RAW processing

I shoot RAW + JPG in the camera (the JPG is a security copy on the second card which I never use. All my output comes from RAW).
    - I load the RAW files onto my PC, rename them to fit my file numbering strategy then import them into Lightroom.
    - In Lightroom I first apply specific changes (like conversion into black-and-white) then I classify the images to give me a first list of better images.
    - Then I make basic technical adjustments to the better ones (exposure, contrast, highlight and shadow adjustment, straightening and cropping, holding back areas that need to be lighter and burning in areas that need to be darker)
    - Then I refine my classification to select just the better ones.
    - Now close-up 100% view to correct any simple things that can be done with the lightroom tools (cloning out things I don't want to have, spot removal for skin blemishes)
    - Another classification pass but this time to identify the changes that I can't do in Lightroom and I have to use an external editor (example: skin smoothing). I generate TIFF files of these images (there aren't many in fact - I manage to do 90% of my images just in Lightroom)
    - Import the TIFF files as PSD in my editing program and make the changes
    - Finally I generate JPG's of all my preferred images and archive the RAW and PSD files

I use Lightroom:

1. Because I have cameras from Nikon AND Sony and I want to use the same workflow for both
    2. Lightroom is a good tool. The adjustments are easy to userstand
    3. Everyone uses Lightroom

I would not buy Lightroom for a one-off usage. Canon produce a free RAW editor for their cameras which allows you to do all the basic adjustments. For the rest you generate a TIFF and carry on in Photoshop

Then another passage to make
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

GB1

Skyman -

Like Charles, I shoot JPG + RAW mode. Once on the computer, I normally edit and use the JPG, but if there's a problem it's nice to have the RAW. You can "recover" areas of detail lost in darkness, etc. with a lot less noise than the JPG. You can also do one image HDRs that I hear work to a degree (I've never tried it)...

But dang, you have CS4 and it doesn't open your RAWs? I wonder if you can download an update for it.

I've never used LR btw, but I hear it's good. You can also get it for cheap.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    I never bothered with raw files before, as I like to get my shots right in camera and I am not that great with photoshop, however I am shooting a wedding in january and would like to develop a workflow that I can use then.

With this in mind I took a couple of shots in dual mode so I can have a play with the raw file and compare the output I get to the jpeg. The problem is that my copy of photoshop (cs4) doesn't open the cr2 file my camera creates.

Is it worth buying a copy of lightroom? what sort of workflow do people use? for what sort of image?
    For starters, Lightroom can be used free for 30 days and right now Adobe has a $10/mo promo for Lightroom and Photoshop CC.

I will shoot important stuff raw.

I don't see your OS here. Aperture is a good product if you have a Mac and a lot in an iPhoto library.

My choosing Lightroom had a lot to do with the cross platform option and even more with the way it lets you use or work with the OS file structure you might already have or like.

Lightroom also has a feature that lets you work with your image and not have the original with you. That's called Smart Preview.

My suggestion is the trial and then look for the Julieane Kost and other "Adobe TV" tutorials to get you going.

Lightroom is not an app for per pixel and layer editing as much as it is for managing, developing and formatting your output. If you have popular lenses and gear it will fix know weaknesses in some lenses, and CA.

You can get the Elements version of Photoshop too. For Windows it has file management and tagging. It's not good to go for a "Retina" Mac.

Yes, epic programme! I use the alt key a lot when sharpening, hold it down and move the slider! It's a must for batch processing

sorry just getting my post count up

Hi All,
    I wanted to know, what would be the key pointers while editing Jewellery(studio shot) to get beautiful client presentable output? Does Raw files become necessary here?
    Thanks

That's a good idea. We apply the same technique to our photography project.

Thread Information