Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

RAW conversion software for my MAC?

Hi Everyone!

I just purchased a Sony NEX 5n and would like to be able to take RAW and convert them. I was looking at Aperture, but many people seem to be talking about Photoshop Elements and how they will use it in conjunction with other software. Currently I don't plan on doing any processing and to be honest I have no idea how or what benefits it would ofter me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Greg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over time science has proven that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.

Re: RAW conversion software for my MAC?

So I just finished reading the review on the link below. It seemed to be a pretty good comparison amongst 5 different companies offers. Based on this Lightroom seems to have a couple features like lens correction that Aperture doesn't. However, Aperture's interface might be better and work more seamlessly with my MAC. It is also much cheaper and a quick download through the App store. Any thoughts?

http://http://www.twin-pixels.com/ra...dxo-lightroom/
    Greg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over time science has proven that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.

It depends on what you're after. Lightroom and Aperture are both good applications.The last time I compared the two, Lightroom edged out Aperture on processing and adjustments, and Aperture edged out Lightroom on organization and seamless interface with other Mac apps.

In particular, I really like the way that Aperture synchs with Front Row to give me effortless photo slideshows set to music from iTunes. If you haven't discovered Front Row yet, you can get to it either by using your Apple remote (which should have come with your computer) or by pressing Apple+Esc.

I believe that both Aperture and Lightroom still have 30 day free trial versions. I suggest downloading both and trying them out- separately. That is, devote 30 days to each app. By the end of that time, you should have a good idea which app you want.

I've gone with Aperture, and I'm happy with it. It has an Edit With function that allows me to switch to Photoshop (as well as some third-party applications) to make adjustments,then back to Aperture when I'm done. Consequently, I don't use Aperture much to make my adjustments. I have no reason to believe that Lightroom doesn't offer the same functionality though.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Lightroom 3 has several presets and many ways to tweak those. I have never used Aperture. I have used Lightroom since it came out. I also have a a Nex 5n.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Medley View Post
    In particular, I really like the way that Aperture synchs with Front Row to give me effortless photo slideshows set to music from iTunes. If you haven't discovered Front Row yet, you can get to it either by using your Apple remote (which should have come with your computer) or by pressing Apple+Esc.
    - Joe U.
    FWIW, Front Row is one of the applications killed by Apple with the Lion release. Don't know if installing it from a Snow Leopard backup will work.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Thread Information