Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>
    GB1

Portrait Professional 10 Show & Tell

Portraiture Professional 10 just came out and is a free upgrade for those who had version 9. Here's a little info and a show and tell of what it does.

So far, a comparison between 9 and 10 doesn't show many new tools. But you can tell that most every tool works better in version 10, producing a better final product. The only downside I see between 9 and 10 is that 10's a little slower when processing (at least that shows that there's a difference between them). I think it's gone from about 8-10 sec to 20-30.

Here's a little before and after(s). This was the original image resized: I didn't process it in any other way.

Here's the main display view when fine tuning:

Here's an example of The Mouth and Nose controls:

Zooming in, here's the model's original portrait. (I decided not to edit these portrait images for density, color, etc, because I was afraid I couldn't get all three exactly the same.)

Here's the model's adjusted portrait after Portrait Professional did its work. Note that in this version, Face Sculpture was turned OFF.

Here's the version with the most interesting feature of Portrait Professional turned ON: the Face Sculpture feature. This modifies the subject's face to align with classical dimensions that are deemed ideal. I set this off 99% of the time. This example shows a discernible amount of change.

If you missed that, try downloading the edited version with and without face sculpturing and opening them in a browser, then switching between them. The lips change the most.

Finally, here's an Photoshop and Corel edited version of the Portrait Professional modified one where Face Sculpture was OFF. This included removing a few blemishes on her and the background. I also added a vignette, which hides that right side shadow (Photoshop's Content Aware feature failed on this one ...)

As you can see, using Portrait Professional alone is often not satisfactory - you still need to go back and clean things up in your favorite image editor.

Btw - I still have shots from this August model shoot that I haven't processed. I just found this one when looking for something to use as an example. :blush2:
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Portrait Professional 10 Show & Tell

Nice GB, but not free. I just looked into it, and upgrading from Portrait Professional Studio v9 to Studio v10 is $29.95.

Since 9 handles (most) everything I want it to do, I think I'll stay where I'm at.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    Nice GB, but not free. I just looked into it, and upgrading from Portrait Professional Studio v9 to Studio v10 is $29.95.

Since 9 handles (most) everything I want it to do, I think I'll stay where I'm at.

- Joe U.
    Joe,

Below is a copy of most of the email they sent me for the free upgrade. It appears that I bought it during a promotional period where they promise you a free upgrade. But you can always contact them and say you hear people w/ version 9 are entitled to a free upgrade, so where's mine?

GB

----------------

We are pleased to announce the release of the latest major upgrade for Portrait Professional, Version 10.

New for Version 10:

* Greatly improved face enhancing function
    * New ClearSkinŽ2 defect elimination and skin regeneration technology
    * More and better face shaping and slimming controls
    * Improved brushes
    * Child Mode
    * Enhance Skin Only Mode
    * Better presets
    * New User Interface

View this page for more detail:
    http://www.portraitprofessional.com/...are/new_in_v10

Since you bought your license or a qualifying upgrade during our promotional period, you are entitled to a free upgrade to version 10!

Your license has already been upgraded, you can view the details and download the latest software here:

My Site

Hmmm. Can I impose on you to say when you bought your version? If it was around the time of the last post (here) about Portrait Professional, then that was very close to the time I upgraded from the Standard edition to the Studio edition. I may use that as justification for a free upgrade, and see how far I get.

Thanks in advance,

- Joe.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    Hmmm. Can I impose on you to say when you bought your version? If it was around the time of the last post (here) about Portrait Professional, then that was very close to the time I upgraded from the Standard edition to the Studio edition. I may use that as justification for a free upgrade, and see how far I get.

Thanks in advance,

- Joe.
    Joe, I took a look through my stuff and can't find the activation or purchase email, but I do have the .exe for version 9 still sitting in my downloads directory and it says August 15, 2010. That sounds about right as I think I got it after I model shot I did in early August. I suggest shooting them an email and seeing what they say, you never know. GL.

Gb

My Site

Got an e-mail from the marketing director today- with a link for the free upgrade. I continue to be impressed by both the software and this company. Thanks for your help GB!

- Joe.

GB1

Joe - yeah I really like the new version so far, just seems to do things a lot better. Post some successful edits if you can,
    G

My Site

Thread Information