Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Thread: Photo Editors

Photo Editors

I am in my 70s and have a digital camera (Panasonic DMC-FZ50) which I do not know how to use properly. Early next year I am going back to school to learn proper camera use. That is no problem. My difficulty is that as part of the course I will be taking pictures in the RAW format and they will have to be edited. I have searched on the internet for a good editor and found dozens of them,each claiming that it is the best money can buy. As the technicalities of these products are way above my head I am totally confused. Can someone advise me which editors would be suitable remembering that it must not be too technical and easy to use. Something not too expensive,around the $200.00 mark.
    My computer is using Windows Vista Home Premium and I have over 200Gb free on the hard drive,
    Glenafton

Re: Photo Editors

G'day. Welcome to the Forum.

Many photographers and image makers like Gimp which is a free download. Adobe Photoshop CS and Photoshop Lightroom set a high standard.

I like several programmes because each programme that I use (Arcsoft 5.5, PhotoPro, Lightroom 2.2, ACDsee, Zoom Browser EX and CS3), each has something special that the others don't have. That is, a particular feature that I like that is simple to remember ... often a drag and drop.

The learning process of some programmes like Photoshop CS can be very awkward when starting out, where as transitioning to Lightroom or starting with Lightroom or importing images from other programmes to Lightroom appears to be relatively simple.

Photoshop CS (whatever #s) offers a lot when it comes to masking and layering but if you do not think you'll need these advanced features, I've seen my two young blokes both start with Gimp and now enhance their work using Lightroom. They have both bypassed the Photoshops CS range (which is sad because they usually teach me).

There is a free trial programme for Lightroom that you might like to try. There are many here on PR who can give good advice if you get stuck or have issues with both Gimp and Lightroom, myself included.

All the best Mate and good luck.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 12-18-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Warren,
    Many thanks for your advice and help. I will look at at what you have suggested especially the Gimp. Being a Scot "Free" appeals to me. I will indeed accept your offer for further assistance as it will probably be required. I think that my technology ended with the invention of the wheel.
    Regards,
    Glenafton

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I use photoshop elements 6.0 and it will probably be what is used most by the school and students. Its confusing until you just start playing with it and learn one function at a time.
    I don't think the photoshop CS programs are necessary unless you are into graphics.
    You might check with the school to see if they use something in particular.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

drg

Welcome to PR!

The class you will be taking will certainly focus around one particular software application. It might be simplest to see what they are using as the instruction software for RAW conversion/editing.

Similarities exist between various programs as to 'standard' processing terminology, but the implementation in the different programs is unique or certainly not exactly the same in interface. Example is sliders versus control points versus curves, you'll get the idea as you start to work with one program or another.

The products from ADOBE have a universality that most others do not. GIMP is fine as far as it goes, but being freeware/public domain software it does have some limitations, and their RAW conversions are not always initially as pleasing as others.

Most software has a free trial that can be downloaded and then a license may be purchased later to 'activate' the program and not have it 'expire' after 30 days/end-of-trial period. This might help you decide as to the the best and most easily usable product, for you.

There's RAW software that comes with your camera; has it confused you or do you find it unaccpetable? Many of these bundled programs are very limited, but can get you started.

I would really strongly suggest learning thoroughly one piece of software to begin with and then branching out once you begin to discover what else you would like to be able to accomplish.

Check back and let us know what else we can do or for specific suggestions!!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Gentlemen all,
    I think that I have been given some very good advice to-day and I will certainly take it to heart. I will hold off buying a phote editor untill I have been to school but I will download the Gimp as suggested by Warren and I can use that to give me an understanding on how to use an editor. Then if required I can purchase whatever the school recommends. Meanwhile please accept my most grateful thanks for spending your time to assist me
    Regards,
    Glenafton

Thread Information