Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

No more boxed Adobe apps/licenses

Re: No more boxed Adobe apps/licenses

They don't mention Lightroom. Maybe dumping Photoshop and going to Lightroom/Elements will remain a feasible solution. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Good point.

Thankfully there are other and way less expensive image editing choices that support layers, plug-ins, shapes, etc.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Photoshop for most non-professional users is overkill.
    I haven't upgraded from CS2 as almost everything I want to do on the fly I can do in Lightroom.
    Lightroom 5 is going to be even better, with more usable dust reduction as my killer feature.

If the software has to be used from the cloud, then I have a problem.
    If it has to check its license via the cloud, that's an issue too.
    Not everywhere in the world I want to use my computer has internet access.
    Even some media centres have such slow internet that I'd have trouble working online.

But if it's a distribution mechanism that avoids having to create disks and boxes, I can see the attraction for Adobe.

it is a huge change in the software business model.
    Instead of us buying a copy of the software and using it until it no longer works on our hardware - we must rent it.
    If we don't want the new and improved features of the latest version - tough luck, as it is automatically upgraded.
    If the hardware requirements for the new version mean it won't work any more - you are hosed.
    And the income stream for the vendor is constant ... if you use the software at least once a month you have to keep paying for it !
    Now, that's not to say that Adobe will do all those things to you, but Microsoft will

I can see the business model:
    You don't use a hammer every day, so why buy one?
    Would you rent a hammer for $5 a month?
    Sounds good, if I only use it a couple of times a year.

And if you stopped paying it would magically vanish from your tool box?
    And when you wanted to use your hammer but the Wifi was down - it wouldn't work?
    Not such a good proposition for the user.

Great for the vendor though.
    No support of older versions, no shipping, no boxes, no disks, no pirate copies.
    And a guaranteed income stream.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

The software is delivered via the web but installed locally. Once a month it checks with Adobe regarding licensing. You work locally like you always did.

I understand there is a grace period if it can't check for a couple of months (don't quote me!), and it seems to be possible to stop paying and resume later at a higher per-month fee.

I'm not comfortable with any of this beyond the initial digital delivery, which I'm used to.

I guess we will see if Adobe pulls this off. Apple is getting away with digital-only delivery and App Store restrictions, though not subscription-based sales yet.

I haven't written anything about this yet but it's interesting to watch the debate. Photoshop CC alone is only $20 a month. That probably ends up costing less than actually buying Photoshop in a box so that's not bad. And I just read an Q&A piece by Scott Kelby where he points out that the full Creative Cloud package is a great deal if you use two or more pieces of Adobe software. I've been considering getting Adobe Premiere Pro but haven't wanted to spend the money on it. Maybe this seals the deal for me. Another $50 monthly bill will be a bummer. But it's not going to kill me.

I guess the biggest question I have is, what if I have Photoshop CC and I don't want to upgrade to the next version? I suppose I don't have a choice if I want to keep using PS? That's kind of a drag since I usually only upgrade every other version. However, I totally rely on Photoshop along with Lightroom and I have no intention of using just Lightroom. I need my masked adjustment layers.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Yes, the subscription is probably the cheapest way to get started but after a few years it will surely seriously add up, "new" versions notwithstanding. The longer you subscribe the worse it gets, I would guess. The pain is just spread thin over the years.

As for what version you will be using in the future, you board the train, you ride the train ;-).

It's the marketing of the future (and the future starts now). You buy by subscription and then when you hit a bad patch, you keep paying anyway because if you don't you have nothing. It's just debt in disguise. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    It's just debt in disguise.
    That's close to the problem, but not quite it.

The problem is: software is not a utility. You shouldn't have to subscribe to it like you do with cable TV or phone service.

So imagine I need Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Encore. While I use my computer I need some standard office apps, too, so I want to run MS Office, a basic edition with Word, Outlook, Excel, and Powerpoint.

I buy a computer, and I buy the apps. Install them, done! I may have some CC payments for a couple years, 'cause who's got $3000 laying around doing nothing else?

Thing is, I don't know what that software is going to cost me any more. I pay the monthly fee, which may be about the same as a CC payment, maybe more, maybe less. The point is, it never stops. I don't have the choice of stopping the payments when I'm happy with my version. With my licensed boxed software, if I like CS5 and CS6 doesn't do anything for me, I stay where I am. It's paid for and I keep working. But with subscription (utility) service, I keep paying, I learn new upgrades whether I want them or not, and if the price goes up, I have to cough up the extra.

Quote Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    Thing is, I don't know what that software is going to cost me any more. I pay the monthly fee, which may be about the same as a CC payment, maybe more, maybe less. The point is, it never stops. I don't have the choice of stopping the payments when I'm happy with my version. With my licensed boxed software, if I like CS5 and CS6 doesn't do anything for me, I stay where I am. It's paid for and I keep working. But with subscription (utility) service, I keep paying, I learn new upgrades whether I want them or not, and if the price goes up, I have to cough up the extra.
    I think you've summed up the problem very nicely here.
    Photo-John

Article: My Take On The Controversy

I had to wait and watch for a few days before I waded in to the Creative Cloud problem. But I finished an article last night. I think the new pricing ends up being better than in the past. But it's definitely scary knowing that once your on the train, you can't get off. Welcome to the Hotel Creative Cloud...

I'd appreciate it if you guys would also share your thoughts in the comments section on the article page:

Adobe Photoshop CC & The Creative Cloud Controversy >>

I wonder what this is going to do for Photoshop competitors like ACDSee?
    Photo-John

Brad Trent's Adobe Photoshop CC Comment

And big-time NYC pro photographer Brand Trent weighs in with a huge comment on my Creative Cloud article. Brad did a much better job of summing up the negatives than I did and his comment is well worth reading:

Brad Trent On Adobe Photoshop CC >>

With top-level pros like Brad this pissed, I wonder if Adobe is going to have to back down and find some middle ground?
    Photo-John

Microsoft has been doing this for some time with some of the Office 365 subscription plans. You automatically download Office from Office 365 and if you stop your subscription then after a grace period your copy of Office stops working.

Of course Microsoft haven't been stupid enough to say that this is the ONLY way you can buy Office. As far as I can make out the majority of Office users stick to another form of licensing.

Microsoft wants to move away from fixed versions of Office and have rolling updates. Instead of a company having to handle a big update to thousands of PC's (and not succeeding), Microsoft manages it from the Cloud. The users always have the latest version of the software.

As far as costs go - if you buy a copy of Office then a couple of years later you buy the next version then it works out about the same as paying for a monthly subscription. However having bought the license then it is an asset that you own and will continue to work even if you decide to not upgrade to the next version (some companies are still using Windows XP with Office 2003..). Whereas when you stop your Office 365 subscription you have nothing.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I'm also in the software business and I can see why they would want to do this, but it seems to heavy-handed to not give consumers the choice to do it that way or not.
    I bought Photoshop CS5 as an upgrade from Elements which came with a Wacom tablet. I got it when there was a perfect storm of just having sold some photos and Adobe having an upgrade sale. I think I paid $300. While their margin on me was smaller than someone paying full price, they only got that sale from me because I saw a good deal when I had cash to invest in my photography tools. Their new model eliminates my kind of purchase. Had I not seen that deal at the right time I'd still just be running Lightroom and using either Elements or Corel for the occasional more involved edit.
    It seems short-sighted to me and I hope the backlash (or lack of sales/subscriptions) makes them reconsider. If not I hope some viable competitors come along for this niche.

GB1

I really don't know how I feel about renting software overall, but I don't see me jumping on board with this anytime soon. I see it being OK for professionals at the office who work with multiple Adobe products all day. Right now, however, the only Adobe product I own is CS6 with its supporting applications (e.g. Bridge). I don't own Lightroom (yeah I know, I don't know what I'm missing) and haven't used Flash in ages. I'm guessing I'll stick with CS6 for a long, long time ..........

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    I really don't know how I feel about renting software overall, but I don't see me jumping on board with this anytime soon. I see it being OK for professionals at the office who work with multiple Adobe products all day. Right now, however, the only Adobe product I own is CS6 with its supporting applications (e.g. Bridge). I don't own Lightroom (yeah I know, I don't know what I'm missing) and haven't used Flash in ages. I'm guessing I'll stick with CS6 for a long, long time ..........

G
    I, like you, will probably stick with my CS2 for a long, long time, but after just trying to reinstall it from my disks and finding out, my disks and registration are no longer supported and I have to go through the tedium of doing a digital download of the entire suite..........sheesh....not sure if it's worth it. The wife is going to school and a student license is just 20.00/mth! I can easily afford that. Still reading others posts though before I do this since I don't do much post processing.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information