Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kentucky Wildlife

Re: NEF to DNG Conversion - What have I done!

Hey, Can. The tab took care of image size. I still have to kind of jump back and forth to check out each change, but the size is great.
    Now for my biggest problem. I can't figure out how to crop photos I bring in.
    Jet, I have so much on my plate already, but I'm going to check out ACDsee Pro before I buy. Thanks.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Cropping in Lightroom is ridiculously simple.
    Click on Develop and then the crop tool.
    Or if you like keyboard shortcuts, press R
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Kentucky Wildlife

Thanks, Wombat. I'm sorry, I put that wrong. I had figured out how to crop. I just can't figure out how to save the crop.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Save ?
    You don't have to, that's the beauty of Lightroom !
    When you're in develop mode, you have a history of what you did on the left hand side.
    You can pick whatever stage of editing you like, and then print it.

Or if you want to keep it, you can create a Snapshot of the current edit (click the + next to Shapshots) and save the editing state in the list along with "Import".

Or if you want to make another image, right-click on the image in the big window and choose Create Virtual Copy.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Save ?
    You don't have to, that's the beauty of Lightroom !
    When you're in develop mode, you have a history of what you did on the left hand side.
    You can pick whatever stage of editing you like, and then print it.
    OK this is a perfect example of what I consider the counter-intuitive approach of a lot of Adobe's interfaces. Save? What a ridiculous concept! Why would anyone ever want to save an image they didn't plan to print immediately? That's just crazy :crazy:

drg

Ron,

I don't know exactly where we are in this discussion but there are some previous entries about various techniques in Lightroom including this one I started some time back. I have some more entries for this list and encourage anyone else to add to it.

Lightroom 2 Tips, Tricks, and Techniques

The power of Adobe Lightroom is partially in the idea that you can make many changes to an image RAW or not, and then save all of them without affecting the integrity of the original! There's a learning curve definitely and I wasn't originally sold at the time of the LR beta prior to 1.0. That all changed when I sat down and made a concentrated effort to work through the features and concept. This coupled with its integration with the other Photoshop products make it a powerful tool.

LR is a different concept to photograph/image management (workflow) that includes editing, printing, resource management, and a lot more including it appears a future with web site development.

The 'auto' features unlike many programs are customizable and what the advanced features of Lightroom let you do with an automatic conversion or set of adjustments is amazing once you set up your own customized set adjustments.

One quick tip: You don't 'Save' in LR you export! You can export a variety of sizes, formats, file naming conventions and to different places to avoid damage to the original or for archiving. The Print Module even has the Print to a File command for more options.

We probably need to start a new entry to not make to keep the original question separate from all these related but different questions!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Kentucky Wildlife

Thanks, I'll start another thread: Lightroom vs PSE 7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information