Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Macbook Pro doesn't recognize high speed CF card. Is it a joke???

I have a brand new Macbook pro. Three weeks old. I have tried to download my photos from my Extreme Pro 90MB/s Sandisk card but the computer doesn't recognize the USB reader. If I change the card and I put a cheap CF card the coputer reads it without any problem. I have tried with both 8GB and 16GB CF cards. My pc and my older mac reads the high speed CF card but not the latest MacBook Pro.
    I am wedding photographer and I use professional grade high speed CF cards. I think it is a bog joke if the Macbook "PRO" wouldn't read professional grade Cf cards.

I have tried everything. The macbook pro only likes the cheap cf cards. I guess the macbook is not rally a "PRO"!

I bought the coputer for destination weddings to back up and view photos after the wedding day but so far it is totally useless for me!!!

What's going on???? HELP!

n8

Re: Macbook Pro doesn't recognize high speed CF card. Is it a joke???

Do you have the appropriate reader? The same issue can be had with SD and SDHC cards...the reader must be able to take both.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

have you tried plugging the camera into the computer, to act as its own mass storage device? How about updating the mac, you said its new - has it not received the updates yet?

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

I am wedding photographer and I use professional grade high speed CF cards. I think it is a bog joke if the Macbook "PRO" wouldn't read professional grade Cf cards.

I have tried everything. The macbook pro only likes the cheap cf cards. I guess the macbook is not rally a "PRO"!
    For what it's worth, the VCP students here almost all use MacBook Pros and have no trouble reading pro cards.

You might want to post your question on the Apple support forums: most any problem gets an answer that works. That would be a bit better than wild venting!

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    have you tried plugging the camera into the computer, to act as its own mass storage device? How about updating the mac, you said its new - has it not received the updates yet?
    I will try this. Still a Mac "Pro" should be able to handle a pro CF card...

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I have tried it. No results...

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    For what it's worth, the VCP students here almost all use MacBook Pros and have no trouble reading pro cards.

You might want to post your question on the Apple support forums: most any problem gets an answer that works. That would be a bit better than wild venting!

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1
    An average Mac user may not use a $300-$400 Cf card... I have tried so far everybody is telling me that it can happen...sometimes...

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wedding photographer
    An average Mac user may not use a $300-$400 Cf card... I have tried so far everybody is telling me that it can happen...sometimes...
    FWIW, VCP students are far from average users! I'm an average user, not them! I have no idea where they get the money from for all the high-priced equipment they own.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

GB1

WP - Not sure if it's the (external?) reader or the computer. You're saying that you have an external reader connecting to your Macbook, and when you use a cheap CF card it reads fine but with the a high performance CF card it doesn't read? If you are using an external reader, I can't see it being the Mac's fault: it has to be the reader (???), as the Mac doesn't care what the reader does: it should receive the data in a standard format independent of how the reader reads the card.

In theory, anyway.

Very very strange that connect your camera to your Mac (via USB I would guess) and that it cannot see the camera as a separate HD if you use the Pro card, but does see it if you use a non-Pro CF card. I wonder if the Pro card is bad?
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

The solution: I have to restart the mac two (!) times and the second time it usually shows the card icon on the desktop. It is crazy....Sometimes it even works after restarting once. for some reason I only have this problem with the fast CF cards...

Thread Information