Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

LR4 vs. Olympus Viewer2

So i'm comparing how LR4 and the OV2 look when I download photos into each. I read people using LR for all their Oly processing but when I compare the same ORF file side-by-side in both programs, the images in OV2 seem to look sharper, with more detail and better colors. However, I like LR's interface much better. I also have all my old photos imported into LR back when I was still at LR2. Is there a setting in, or plug-in for, LR specifically for ORFs to get the same renderings I get with OV2?

I've also noticed in LR4 in the Lens Corrections box that there are no presets for Olympus or Panasonic lenses. is there another plug-in for that?

Re: LR4 vs. Olympus Viewer2

I think I've found my answers. I've actually found a custom preset that looks even better then OV2!

Quote Originally Posted by moschika View Post
    I think I've found my answers. I've actually found a custom preset that looks even better then OV2!
    Can you tell us about it?

I haven't processed any photos with the Olympus software in quite a while. But like you, I find the Lightroom UI to be far superior. That actually goes for all manufacturer software. The only time I use manufacturer software is when I have a camera that isn't supported by Lightroom yet. Even if the manufacturer software can produce a better final image, I think the value of the tools and comfortable, familiar UI in LR outweigh any benefits the manufacturer software might have to offer - unless LR made terrible RAW conversions, which, thankfully, it doesn't. When the Olympus E-5 came out I did a careful back-to-back comparison and found the results I got from the Oly software and LR were pretty much the same. Except Lightroom was a lot faster and easier to use.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Can you tell us about it?

I haven't processed any photos with the Olympus software in quite a while. But like you, I find the Lightroom UI to be far superior. That actually goes for all manufacturer software. The only time I use manufacturer software is when I have a camera that isn't supported by Lightroom yet. Even if the manufacturer software can produce a better final image, I think the value of the tools and comfortable, familiar UI in LR outweigh any benefits the manufacturer software might have to offer - unless LR made terrible RAW conversions, which, thankfully, it doesn't. When the Olympus E-5 came out I did a careful back-to-back comparison and found the results I got from the Oly software and LR were pretty much the same. Except Lightroom was a lot faster and easier to use.
    one of the posters on this thread on DPreview posted several presets that I've found to be particularly useful. unlike you, I didn't find the Oly software and LR very similar. I was actually very disappointed with the conversion I was getting from LR compared to OV2, but these presets really help focus what I am looking for and I'm able to then do some minor tweaks for a final image.

Thread Information