Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Thread: Lr 4.1 rc2

Lr 4.1 rc2

So yeah, after hesitating a bit mainly due to reading about various artifacting/aliasing problems, I have just installed LR 4.1 RC2. I have obviously not had a lot of time to play with it, but I thought I would start a thread here with a first couple of test results. One of the main features of this upgrade is the introduction of more advanced controls for fixing chromatic aberration issues (and apparently this is also the cause of the main issue as observed below...). It seems the new controls (a couple of sliders that let you chose the amount and hue of purple and green that is corrected around edges and other places where chromatic aberration typically occurs) do work better than the previous version's simple "on/off" switch for CA - check out "4dot0test.jpg" vs. "4dot1rc2test.jpg". In the 4.1 version of the same picture, you can see that LR has removed pretty much all of the purple fringing in between some of the colors (some of which is still visible in the 4.0 version if you look closely). It has also done a better job of keeping ALL the original colors in there...notice how the black band around the big blue areas top right has all but disappeared in the 4.0 version, but it's still in the one created with 4.1. Other settings were kept the same between the 2 exports.

Now for the bad news: the artifacting issue is real. If you look at the second set of test pictures ("artifacting_4dot0test.jpg" and "artifacting_4dot1rc2test.jpg"), you can see that although 4.1 has done a better job of getting rid of the purple (visible on the small branches in the 4.0 version), it has also completely messed up the surface of the thicker branch, full of ugly white stripes. And this was with the clarity slider at 0 (I have read elsewhere that people have seen this artifacting caused by the clarity slider, but it seems to me that it is caused by the CA treatment...).

Other than this issue, the import of old catalogue and the general upgrade went smoothly. It would also seem less prone to crashing at this point although that needs more testing before come to any conclusions.

Anybody else out there with experience of these issues? Anything else to report on this upgrade?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lr 4.1 rc2-4dot0test.jpg   Lr 4.1 rc2-4dot1rc2test.jpg   Lr 4.1 rc2-artifacting_4dot0test.jpg   Lr 4.1 rc2-artifacting_4dot1rc2test.jpg  

Re: Lr 4.1 rc2

Thanks for sharing these tests. The banding on the branch in the second photo is pretty damn obvious. That's a bummer. But it is a Release Candidate so you can't expect it to be perfect. Now I'm wondering if there are any problems I've missed with the RAW Olympus E-M5 images I've been processing in Lightroom 4.1 RC2. Did you do a test in 4.1 RC2 with and without chromatic aberration adjustments? Because the only time I make CA corrections is when I see a really glaring problem. Most of the time I leave the Lightroom lens corrections at their default settings.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Further testing reveals that it's actually the geometrical lens correction adjustments that are to blame here. If you leave that off, you can apply as much CA correction as you could want. As soon as you start applying any of the "Transform" lens correction adjustments (distortion, vertical, horizontal, etc), that white banding in the pic above appears. Of course that also happens if you chose the standard profile correction for the particular lens in question on a picture (i.e. a preset of aforementioned lens correction adjustments).

Note that this actually happens whether or not you have checked CA correction. I.e. just the lens correction controls do this on their own. So if you can live with the slightly distorted pics that may come out of your lens(es), you can enjoy 4.1 and it's improved CA adjustment and some other minor fixes. If you shoot architecture or whatever and need to make a bunch of geometrical lens adjustments, leave it be for now (or do just the exposure/color/RAW conversion in LR, and the lens correction elsewhere...).

John, I believe if you left the lens corrections at default when you imported you Oly pics, it is actually not checked....so you should be OK. And if you applied CA occasionally but not the geometrical lens corrections, you should still be OK.

I just got a prompt that 4.1 is released and it wanted me to download it. I held off having seen this thread previously. Anyone know if the problems with the RC's have been fixed, or did they persist through to release?

Yes, happy to report that the final version of 4.1 has indeed seems to have fixed this problem. I've gone back through my test images after updating to 4.1 final release version, notably the one with the branch above, the banding/striping is now gone! So seems like we are free to enjoy the considerable improvements of 4.1, and not have to worry about any side effects!

Sorry for taking a while to post back here, I don't get e-mail notifications for some reason...

Thread Information