Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>
    n8

Lightroom problem?

I noticed today when trying to import some pics into lightroom (3.41) that the thumbnails are significantly degraded. Once they import they're fine, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't an issue last time I used it...but I may be imagining things. I've used different cards, and have reinstalled the program, but I'm still getting some nasty previews when in grid mode. The single preview renders just fine.
    Last edited by n8; 06-06-2011 at 08:18 PM.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Re: Lightroom problem?

When they offered the upgrade from 3.0 to either 3.1 or 3.3 three, that was one of the known consequences of making the move. I held off until the 3.41 upgrade, and the lower quality previews have been very noticeable. However some of the more functional problems I was having with 3.0 are now fixed, so I guess it was a worthwhile tradeoff!
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

n8

Well, I'm glad to hear it's not an isolated issue. I hope they take care of it in 3.5 or whatever's next.
    mostly Nikon gear

Quote Originally Posted by n8 View Post
    I noticed today when trying to import some pics into lightroom (3.41) that the thumbnails are significantly degraded. Once they import they're fine, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't an issue last time I used it...but I may be imagining things. I've used different cards, and have reinstalled the program, but I'm still getting some nasty previews when in grid mode. The single preview renders just fine.
    N8, are you shooting raw - I will assume you are - because it has a little bearing on how Lightroom builds previews depending on how you set up your preview and import options initially. The way mine works (I shoot raw), Lightroom starts by assuming everything is in the sRGB space. It imports, as a first pass at the thumbnails, and displays the jpg conversion of my raw images - this usually appears pixelated and of low quality. Once LR has completed the initial import, it makes a second pass, during which it processes the raw data and provides a greater level of detail, particularly when displaying large thumbnails. If requested, from the options you have chosen, it will make a third pass to render even higher quality 1:1 resolution previews. There are a few other variables involved in this "rendering" of previews, but it is a 2 or 3 stage process, depending on some of the options you have selected during Import. This also explains why the single preview renders okay.

I am not sure exactly how you import your images and how you have told LR to set up the thumbnails, but I am just relaying how mine work and yes the first cut at the thumbs are often ugly, but it doesn't take LR long to "reprocess" the thumbs and give me decent images.

Ken, I was interested that you have noticed changes from version 3.0 to 3.3 or 3.4, because I have not noticed any difference in the way LR processes my thumbs during the recent upgrades, even 3.4.1 did not obviously change the way it appears to process thumbs for my display - my experience FWIW. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
    Never memorize something you can look up. - Albert Einstein

n8

I do shoot raw, but I had the same issues with jpegs and raws. These were all pre-import.
    mostly Nikon gear

Hmmm just been in to check mine and no differences in mine at all. All the thumbnails from V2 to 3.4.1 are the same, as WesternGuy says it is a several stage pass to get them all sorted and it can take a while while it does it depending on the number being loaded.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I use really tiny thumbnails so for me the quality doesn't matter.
    But the preview quality is important.
    So if LR is slow generating those in the background, I'll use the menu to build them explicitly.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information