Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>
    GB1

How would you fix this in PP?

Dang metal pole doesn't look too great. Ideas on the best approach to fix ?

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How would you fix this in PP?-dsc_2640_edit1_pp_800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: How would you fix this in PP?

One lazy way to do it is to darken it. That could turn the left side of the photo darker than it is though.

I suppose you could clone it, too.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I think I would simply clone it out. The background is a bit out focus so you shouldn't have to be super precise with the cloning to make it look natural. The only really tricky part would be making it look natural around her arm.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

GB1

Thanks fellows. Cloning looks like a royal pain due to the unusual background and proximity to her arm. Maybe I can figure it out. Darkening it is possible ..

Jeff also replied earlier I thought, with an image example? Odd that his post disappeared. His idea to select the color and turn that one very dark is creative.

G

My Site

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    Jeff also replied earlier I thought, with an image example? Odd that his post disappeared. His idea to select the color and turn that one very dark is creative.
    G

I saw Jeff's post too. I also noticed that it looked like your image may have ended up in his gallery when he reposted it, so maybe he deleted it because of that.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Late to the party, but I've done something like this a few times recently.

I would select the model and copy just her to a new file with a transparent background (for safekeeping) then clone away at the pole, not worrying about what hapens to the model. Maybe even bring some of that greenery down further. When done, paste her back in.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    Late to the party, but I've done something like this a few times recently.

I would select the model and copy just her to a new file with a transparent background (for safekeeping) then clone away at the pole, not worrying about what hapens to the model. Maybe even bring some of that greenery down further. When done, paste her back in.
    Thank you Wfooshee. I should jump back on this one and try that. It's not a spectacular shot (the main draw is her wink - lol), but maybe I will try it if nothing else than for learning.

I am finding that using those masking apps and tools is hard under some circumstances. With some pix they're easy, but other ones, where there's very little contrast between subject and background, the software doesn't work that well. I need to seriously work on the subject

My Site

like Wfooshee said,

I would make a duplicate layer and mask out everything but her.

then I would either clone then blur the background or blur then clone the background,

either way the background could stand to be a bit more out of focus and not detract from the image which makes the cloning process easier. If you wanted to keep some of the aesthetics of the background you could make a third layer for the tree and either leave it alone or blur it slightly less then the fence layer to control the depth of field a little more, but that is a lot more work in the masking of the layer.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Nice model.

Thread Information