Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>
    GB1

How would you fix?

A shot from a recent model shoot: I think the lighting's exciting, but I don't like the shadow cutting across her left arm where her forearm meets her deltoids area.

How would you fix? Tried cloning, but having a hard time making it look realistic through the entire area. Feel free to edit to show the technique. Thanks,

G

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: How would you fix?

GB1, Hello.

I've retouched the blemish on the model's arm but I cant post the retouched image here as this is my first post. The message that I got was that I need to make 10 posts before I can post an image.

Can I post the image to you by email? .. or what do you suggest.

Cheers.

GB1

Hey Warren - Thanks for taking a whack at it. You can email me the adjustment if you prefer this over just posting 9 more comments on the Critique page or something: you can find my email on my site which is accessible via the "My Site" link in my signature. Overall, it would be better to post it here, for education. Please discuss how you fixed it so everyone can learn.

Welcome to the site by the way. Do you shoot also, or prefer to post process?

GB

My Site

GB, I used Canon's Arcsoft programme. When I transferred your image to my desktop I got a slight colour shift and a change of contrast, which surprised me.

For the retouching firstly, I enlarged the image 2X because bigger images are easier to work with.

I used a cloning tool which I set to a manageable 17 pixels wide. The tones, I took from (both) above the blemish and below the blemish. The tones from above I moved down and the tones below the blemish I moved them up until they met. Then I found tones from other parts of the arm that allowed me to blend and model the shading to look more natural. I then smoothed the repair with a smoothing tool, again set to 17 pixels wide with a transparency of 28%. This transparent setting blends the tones softly rather than smudges them.

All up the task took about 5 minutes but to reshape the inside of the upper arm to being closer to your original shape, would take much care now so as not to build up an unnatural fringing. This would take about another 10 minutes work and possibly also take several attempts to get it right.

I'll post the image to your email. It will be sent within the next few minutes.

Cheers.

PS, now I cant send you an email because my post count has to be 20 before I can send emails to other members of the Forum. This is a very serious site.
    Last edited by WarrenH; 12-01-2012 at 09:12 PM.

GB1

Warren, thanks for the writeup. I meant my personal homepage (not the Photography Review IM stuff.. you can't send images with that I don't believe), which has my contact info. Check it out under my My Site link.

That edit job was beyond my abilities. I will bounce your steps against the two versions when you send it.
    G

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    Welcome to the site by the way. Do you shoot also, or prefer to post process?
    GB1, Thank you.

The digital darkroom and post processing, is as enjoyable as taking the photographs. I spend about equal time on both.

I don't try every new thing that comes out for the digital darkroom. I know what works for me and have stuck with familiarity for a fair while. I don't use pre-settings or brushes, I feel retaining manual skills in a digital darkroom is important to photographers.

I use Arcsoft, Lightroom and Photomatix as my editing programmes. I have Photoshop but I haven't warmed to it at all. I think that Arcsoft is more like being in a darkroom.

This is my sixth post. Only four to go now, then I'll post your photo.

Thank you for waiting.

GB1, Hi. As a new member I couldn't access links, signatures and many photos, on the forum. When I looked for your contact, it was not possible to see your other site info, until yesterday. I hope that you received the retouched photograph sent to your email address.

How would you fix?-esrhxzdf.jpg

I haven't resized the image, I can't account for the small size, obviously I've a lot to learn about being here. Clicking on the image gives a slightly larger image but not the original size. Can you post the larger image, that I posted back to you? Unless the smaller images have something to do with the recently revamped site.

Warren.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenH View Post
    GB1, Hi. As a new member I couldn't access links, signatures and many photos, on the forum. When I looked for your contact, it was not possible to see your other site info, until yesterday. I hope that you received the retouched photograph sent to your email address.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	esrhxzdf.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	90582

I haven't resized the image, I can't account for the small size, obviously I've a lot to learn about being here. Clicking on the image gives a slightly larger image but not the original size. Can you post the larger image, that I posted back to you? Unless the smaller images have something to do with the recently revamped site.

Warren.
    Warren - Great job! I can't tell the difference, even when looking at the exact spot. I guess I will have to try that software. I also need to learn to do this stuff in Photoshop, too, as it's now my primary post processing software.

Just checked and, no, I strangely did not get that email (I also checked my spam folder: not there). Maybe you can double check it went out? btw, they just revamped the site and went with a JavaScript way of displaying, and I don't think the site will allow the picture to be larger than one's monitor display resolution (won't allow scrolling), regardless of who posts it. Not sure on that though, so will investigate further.

Thanks again for taking a whack at this, I had tried but given up!.

G

My Site

Greg, Hello again.

I've resent the email and like the first time, it also went into cyber space without a hitch. The first email has not been returned to me.

Thanks again Mate.

Warren.

Thread Information