Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

editing software "upgrade" questions

So, first I'll make sure it's clear that I'm just an amateur photographer. I could probably get by with something like Elements if I really needed to. That being said, I've enjoyed learning to use the photoshop CS3 (actually web suite cs3 with PS extended) that I bought 3 years ago on education discount. I didn't really start learning it until last year with the help of a Kelby book and actually learned about layers and stuff. Now, I'm about a week away from finishing the school program I've been in and so education discounts are going to go bye bye. Right now I can get the CS5 version for $180.

The thing is, I'm not sure that I really necessarily need all the new stuff in CS5 or that CS4 had. I keep hearing about lightroom and how it's kind of like Bridge but with some editing built in. I'm wondering if instead I should look at Lightroom to get newer features like the new camera raw, etc. The reason I'm thinking about this is that within the next week dropping $180 on photoshop for a few extra features is a bit rough, but full retail on lightroom in a few months would be just fine.

What kinds of things would I be missing in lightroom that PS would have? I was interested in the 64 bit support for CS5 but I'm also not exactly editing very large files beyond basic .raw files with a few adjustment layers and haven't noticed any speed issues at all on my current system (Intel i7 with 8GB of RAM on Win7 64bit). I'm almost thinking lightroom is a better choice for me and then if I need a PS feature it's not like I'm going to throw out my copy of CS3. Or is there some other photo software out there I should be looking at?

GB1

Re: editing software "upgrade" questions

Sorry that I can't comment on Lightroom as I've never used it. But people that use it seem to love it.

I had CS2 and upgraded to CS5 a few months ago. Note that I'm not a Photoshop wiz or anything and that I mostly use Corel products, but I think the biggest items in CS5 are its Context Aware fill - which mostly sucks - and big time improvement of its HDR capability. It also has many incremental improvements, like better magic wand corrections, etc.

Also note that you can upgrade your student CS3 to full CS5 for (last time I looked) $199, so you're not missing out on too much of a discount when you graduate.

Given all this, I'd go with LR.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Sorry that I can't comment on Lightroom as I've never used it. But people that use it seem to love it.

I had CS2 and upgraded to CS5 a few months ago. Note that I'm not a Photoshop wiz or anything and that I mostly use Corel products, but I think the biggest items in CS5 are its Context Aware fill - which mostly sucks - and big time improvement of its HDR capability. It also has many incremental improvements, like better magic wand corrections, etc.

Also note that you can upgrade your student CS3 to full CS5 for (last time I looked) $199, so you're not missing out on too much of a discount when you graduate.

Given all this, I'd go with LR.
    Are you sure that an educational Photoshop can be upgraded? - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Are you sure that an educational Photoshop can be upgraded? - Terry

It can, the problem is I can't go the suggested route. Because my CS3 version is part of web suite and not standalone, I have to buy the CS5 web suite upgrade which is $950 for upgrade pricing right now according to the CS5.5 pre-order thing on adobe's site. They won't let you go from a suite to a standalone product. If I could just buy the PS upgrade, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation lol.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by flyinion
    It can, the problem is I can't go the suggested route. Because my CS3 version is part of web suite and not standalone, I have to buy the CS5 web suite upgrade which is $950 for upgrade pricing right now according to the CS5.5 pre-order thing on adobe's site. They won't let you go from a suite to a standalone product. If I could just buy the PS upgrade, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation lol.
    This may sound lame, but why not call Adobe and explain the situation, then ask if they will allow you to upgrade your CS3 to CS5 only for the $199. They may allow it on a case-by-case basis (the worst they can do is say no). I know people who have done stuff like this w/ MS and sometimes it works.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

I have been using Lightroom 3 for a couple of months. It's a nice tool for developing RAW files, the options are well thought-out. It works with both my Canon and Nikon files. It's handy for sorting and classifying large numbers of new images.

For image manipulation - removing objects, smoothing wrinkles on faces, etc. - I use Paint Shop Pro. You can do most of the things you can with full Photoshop - though sometimes you have to search - for the same price as Elements.

I continue to use ACDSee to manage my image library (100,000 images). I looked at Lightroom but it seemed to be poor at moving files around, it seems to refresh the thumbnail images very often, the search facilities seem weak..
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I recommend Lightroom since this will soon become the photographer's tool (renamed Photoshop) and the current Photoshop (with a different name) will trend more towards the graphic artists. - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    I recommend Lightroom since this will soon become the photographer's tool (renamed Photoshop) and the current Photoshop (with a different name) will trend more towards the graphic artists. - Terry
    LOL I saw your post about that, it was an April Fools joke (according to the site) not sure if you realized that or not.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinion
    LOL I saw your post about that, it was an April Fools joke (according to the site) not sure if you realized that or not.
    LOL is right - I've been had good. Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

If you're looking for a DAM (digital asset management ) solution, rather than an image editor, Lightroom may be the way to go. I have LR PS Aperture & Bibble currently loaded on my machine, and LR is the one I use least. It's slow and cumbersome for local adjustments (if you like the clone tool or healing brush in PS, forget it, LR ain't nothing like it, no layers or masks either). If you like the way CS3 performs, but worry about the cost, and you're not collaborating with other professionals, Corel Paint Shop Pro X3 photo is seriously the most bang for your buck. Download the free 30 day trial and test it out, it does most everything CS5 does at a fraction of the price, and also does batch editing like LR.

Thanks, I might check PSP out again then. I've used it years ago and I remember hearing that it had quite a bit of PS features for of course much less. Although I was just reading about Elements 9 and it seems like they're bringing some CS5 features into it and they also gave it true layer masks.

I guess mostly I'm just "panicing" because I was sort of looking for an upgrade to CS3 because it would be really expensive once my degree is done and I'm not in school any longer. At the same time I'm not really in a place to spend the money now so it's kind of a "what else is out there". Or maybe a what else is out there for a good price and would mesh with CS3 if I needed more advanced editing.

It kind of sounds like grabbing lightroom for the new raw features and using CS3 if I need more advanced stuff like layers might be an idea. Or I could just wait till the next CS version and save for it. CS3 still works fine, I just get the mental "block" that it's an older "outdated" version.

Thread Information