Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Do you use color labels in Aperture?

Hello,

I am currently working on an application for the iPad to allow photographers to import images from Aperture and rate them on their iPad. After rating they can sync the ratings back to Aperture. Tagalicious is based on the star rating system Aperture uses.

However, Aperture also provides the possibility to assign color labels to images (much in the same way that you can color code folders in the Finder). I don't use this system myself, but I was wondering how many of you do use color labels to tag images. If you do use this system, how exactly do you use it?

I am curious to read your responses!

Bart

drg

Re: Do you use color labels in Aperture?

Quote Originally Posted by bartjacobs
    Hello,

I am currently working on an application for the iPad to allow photographers to import images from Aperture and rate them on their iPad. After rating they can sync the ratings back to Aperture. Tagalicious is based on the star rating system Aperture uses.

However, Aperture also provides the possibility to assign color labels to images (much in the same way that you can color code folders in the Finder). I don't use this system myself, but I was wondering how many of you do use color labels to tag images. If you do use this system, how exactly do you use it?

I am curious to read your responses!

Bart
    Yes, when I use Aperture I use color labels as I also do with Lightroom. I bring up Lightroom as there are similar considerations with both programs but for different reasons.

Simply I use color labels in both to further sort and discriminate between photos from a shoot or collection. In Aperture they are particularly handy if setting up illustrations for a few chapters at a time, or if setting up 'like' type of illustration or image. Chapter cover art might be one color, primary illustrations another, etc. I've already made my selections and sorted and now with color I can assign groups/collections/sets/etc. based on an additional marking. They, color, also let me include the same image in multiple groups.

Be sure if building an application to fully understand the design implications for Aperture and which way users are going to set their star ratings (low-high or high-low) so as to not invert already done work. In both programs the same 'color' can be assigned differently based on what work has already been performed to the image or if it has been processed or not.

I've seen a few photographers who are using star or other numeric ratings to segment photos in to different groupings that are not keepers, weepers, and losers. Then they may be using color for some totally arbitrary or even external labeling system. Flexibility is the key, more interface work admittedly.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks for your response. After having talked with a number of people, it seems most people use the color labels to streamline their workflow. Anyway, it's definitely interesting to read what people use Aperture's color labels for!

I am a new Aperture user. Color labels seemed intriguing but no immediate use came to mind.

I am working on a large project (1700+images) and began by breaking it down into geographical regions (a long trip around Mexico). I continued to refine but I do have numerous images that have some relevance to each other throughout. I began to stack them and copy them to albums where I work on them. It got confusing as to which stacks I had copied so I began to color the pick red when I was ready to move the stack.While working on a stack I color the pick yellow and the next picture to be worked on yellow. Once I complete all the adjustments in the stack I change the color to green so that I know it's done. I can now instantly assess my progress both in the album where I'm working and in the Project. It also allows me to locate and isolate all my stacks in the Project with a filter.
    Last edited by Saguarojoe; 04-28-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added details

Thread Information