Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Different HDR Workflow

I've used Photomatix to process multiple exposure images for HDR, and have been generally satisfied with the results. However there are some scenes that I haven't been able to render with the dynamic range that I know is present. Additionally, excessive noise if frequently an unwanted outcome of this processing.

This morning I ran across a different way to process images for HDR, starting in Photoshop to create a 32-bit image, then using LR for all the heavy processing work. I gave it a try with an image a took a couple years ago (sorry, not a nature shot) and am very happy with how it come out. I failed to run any noise reduction before starting the process, so I will go back when I have a little more time and try it again, but there really isn't much noise on it now.

If you want to learn more about this method, watch this YouTube video to get started...https://www.youtube....h?v=xMMngpxz5jA

Here is my first pass at using this method...
    Different HDR Workflow-20111111_colstrip_5d2_3076-edit.jpg
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

GB1

Re: Different HDR Workflow

The result is good but it would be also nice to see what PhotoMatix image as a comparison. I use PM almost exclusively, but have tried CS' on occasion, ... I have also ended up with a lot of noise in one or two of them but I think I know how to fix that in post; something to try in the new year.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Different HDR Workflow-20111111_colstrip_5d2_3070_3_4_5enhancer-2.jpgGood point, Greg. Here is the Photomatix version of the same scene. This uses 4-frames, while the original image above is a 3-frame version. Might be hard it discern the differences on these uploaded images, but in LR the detail is much better and noise level lower in the original.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

GB1

Ken, besides the 2nd upload being substantially bluer than the first, I do think the first upload is more pleasantly smoother than the first. Hard to say definitely that PM can't produce a similar (or better) image though, for as shown in PM's presents, there are just so many ways to select the settings which can have a MAJOR effect on the final product (anything from very artsy to almost a normal photograph).

I like the scene BTW. It looks like a Martian colony or something out of a Star Wars movie.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information