Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Changing photo management software

I currently use iphoto to save and store my family pictures. I know it isn't the best software out there but it suits my needs.

The problem is that my next computer may not be a mac. I know windows photo viewer has similar functions to iphoto, but that isn't the problem. I have created albums etc in iphoto as well as made heavy use of the faces feature. I also know that iphoto has in idiosyncratic folder structure, so copying and pasting the folders will just reproduce the mess.

So does anyone know of a good photo filing tool that will read iphoto's structure and is mac and pc compatible?

I don't have any short term plans to change computers, but I would like to get this cleaned up while there is no pressure.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

GB1

Re: Changing photo management software

Hmm. I don't know if Adobe Bridge qualifies, and I suspect that you would need to purchase both versions (Mac and Windows) too.

As far as organization - I'm one of the worst in the world, so I'll be following this thread to see what people mention. I think this subject has been brought up before though - try a search. I think the reason I didn't act on the suggestions though was that none of them fit my needs.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

You could go with a database, like Lightroom, that doesn't care where the files are kept. I don't know what 'faces' is, though. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Iphoto is great at what it does - automate the process of managing your pictures. The issue is that its back end is a mess and so won't export well to anything other than itself, since it is apple only software It almost forces me to stay mac. I love my mac but I am not set on my next computer being a mac. So I am looking for something that is cross platform (lightroom is a good candidate) that I can export my pictures to so that if I have to get a new computer I don't have to choose between loosing my pics or not.

I would still like the software to automate the management process, not for me, I can manage my own files but so my wife can stick a memory card in the reader and hit import and not worry about any other details.

Also I like the way iphoto simplifies things like exporting to facebook....

I will probably have to get trial versions of the likely candidates and test them.

oh and just to make life really difficult my computer is a g5 so it has to work on non intel macs.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thread Information