Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Apple's Aperture vs. Photoshop vs. Iphoto editor

I am considering buying a new photo software, and I am currently using the Iphoto editor if I ever need to edit my photos, but I am wondering what the others can do that the Iphoto editor cannot (if you do not use the Iphoto editor you can just list the type of editing that you can do with the other programs). Aperture immediately looks more appealing to me simply because of its much lower price ($200 compared to Adobe's $600), but I have also heard of Photoshop elements, which only costs $90-$100. Does anybody have any advice? All comments are greatly appreciated.

Re: Apple's Aperture vs. Photoshop vs. Iphoto editor

First off, this is an unfair comparison. For example, Apperture is meant to be a basic workflow tool, raw converter, and file manager. Thus, comparison with Adobe Photoshop is absurd. You should be comparing Apperture to Lightroom. To understand how the software differs look at your workflow.

Camera--> Card Reader --> Raw Converter (Photoshop CS3, Apperture, or Lightroom) --> Management (Bridge, Apperture, or Lightroom)--> Post-processing (Photoshop CS3) --> Printing/Output/Storage (Lightroom or Apperture). Photoshop CS3 is a dedicated post-processing tool. It will allow you to process photos with seemingly unlimited ability (quite unlike iphoto). This being said, I prefer combining photoshop with lightroom (would be similar with apperture) because I can do basic editing and raw conversion there, store my files, and organize them too. If I need to post-process, it will integrate with photoshop. Similar idea with apperture. This being said, using adobe bridge (as part of the photoshop installer) with Photoshop allows for easy management and raw conversion, although you will need to do all your editing in photoshop in this case. If you know someone in college or in school, academic superstore offers the adobe lightroom/Photoshop CS3 extended bundle for around $400. I'd hold off until lightroom 2.0 comes out though (september I believe).
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

i'm kinda in the same boat as far as what editing software to use. i've decided to probably go the route suggested by fx101, but due to budget as well, i'll probably play with the trial offers until i can afford them and also play with a couple alternatives, and Lightroom 2.0 comes out. which should give me enough time to get more $$ together.

Thank you for the advice, I have downloaded the trial versions of aperture and lightroom to see which one fits my needs better.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Photoshop elements 6.0
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

"Absurd" may be a little harsh. If I were coming into this without knowing much, I think I would have a hard time understanding the difference between all these different programs that basically appear to be made for editing photos. That said, I agree that Photoshop is very different from workflow programs like Aperture and Lightroom. I also use Photoshop and Lightroom together. I use Lightroom to manage images, make global adjustments, and do my RAW conversions. I use Photoshop for specific area adjustments via masked adjustment layers. I also use Photoshop for final color and contrast polishing, resizing, and sharpening.

The main difference between the full version of Photoshop and Elements is layers. I do believe that Elements has layers. But Photoshop has adjustment layers which apply changes in a transparent, savable, and editable layer that you can also apply masks to. That's where there real power of Photoshop is, in my opinion.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I may not have all the technical answers, but I have used and still use Iphot, Photoshop CS3 and Elements 5.0.

I think they are all very good at what they are designed to do.

My wife likes Iphoto. It is easy to use and great for "general" fixes and made for people who want a quick fix. It offers good management of files and such, but really for the person at home who takes pictures of the kids in the yard and wants to be able to find them later. It does have SOME advanced edit tools, but not a great way to go if you are editing lots of pictures with these tools. I use it for JPGs I want a quick edit and a print.

CS3 is really designed for professional use in my opinion. Has all the tools you need to edit, manage and convert pictures. The ability to edit photos is top notch. You need to have a good understanding of workflows and layers to make this worthwhile. This can do almost anything you need. I like it, but it is more complex than I like as I am a photo enthusiast not a professional.

Elements is what I like most. It has the most used tools in Photoshop and it is easy to use. Good management of photos and does have a "quick fix" feature for those who want to leave it up to photoshop to make the correct adjustments. It does have layers and masking tools. It does have a very good converter for RAW ect. It is what I mostly use. It is a great program for people like me who want to have the ability to edit and convert, but do not need ALL the professional tools like CS3. And for $80-90 it is a great value.

Iphoto comes loaded on Macs so it is a "free" program and you could try it and see if it suites your needs. Elements is fairly inexpensive and is a great starting program for most. I would try these (grab the trial version of elements) and see if they meet your needs. I think you will not be disappointed with either, unless you are a pro.

Just my .02

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Photoshop Elements is an excellent place to start in the Photoshop sandbox. It'll give you baout 80% of the capability of Photoshop CS3 which from my standpoint is more than enough for your basic snapshot photo editing.

Thank you very, very much for all the advice. I really had no idea what each program was geared to do, but now after reading all the posts I think photoshop elements is what i am leaning towards due to its low costs and my photo editing needs. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Photoshop Elements

Quote Originally Posted by ck02slr
    Thank you very, very much for all the advice. I really had no idea what each program was geared to do, but now after reading all the posts I think photoshop elements is what i am leaning towards due to its low costs and my photo editing needs. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
    I think Photoshop Elements will probably be more than adequate. At the minimum, it will be better than the software that came with your camera and do more than iPhoto. I think you'll be very pleased with it. And if the time comes when you need more, you can deal with that then. Investing in Elements now is a very good plan
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

You don't need to spend that much money. I have been using Photoshop Elements for many years and its great program and costs only $99. I also use Adobe Lightroom which costs about the same. They both complement each other well.
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...257353&cat=500

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

I went through a similar puzzle a few months back. I needed a Mac-based substitute for the wonderful Picture Window Pro (Windows only) that I still use on my Vista laptop. As you mention iPhoto, I assume you have a Mac.

For the Mac, I settled on Pixelmator, a little known but extremely powerful editing program that is Mac only. It does everything most photographers could ever want. I find it vastly superior to Elements.

I also compared Aperture to Lightroom. Although I liked the look and feel of Aperture better, I bought Lightroom. First, with my faculty discount, it was only $100! I also found that the major tools I personally use were arranged in a much more rational way (personal opinion!). It also does RAW conversions better. For example, Aperture can't convert RAW from my Panasonic P&S, Lightroom does. Pixelmator handles those things that occasionally go beyond Lightroom's abilities.

Just be cautious. For many, Elements is the "obvious" reaction to these types of questions. There are better apps out there that are lesser known. Look around and take the time to really evaluate the free demos.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Can you help me to find the easy-to-use html editor?

I'm focus on working on my wedding webpage and I'm attempt to design an RSVP form online I am not a webmasters and have narrow knowledge of HTML, though I do understand foundational principles and am able to understand the code somewhat
    I googled for a prewritten code, and look at the reviews of best-html-editor com]cost-efficient html editors, and got a decent one, but the submit feature isn't able to work It is not the best layout for the RSVP type, at least not for our demands I need a practical html editor as soon as possible
    Which html editor is the greatest one for my demands?
    Any advices will be appreciated

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: Can you help me to find the easy-to-use html editor?

Here is a hint. You'll get many more responses if you start a new thread rather than hijacking an old one. Also, indicate what computer and OS you are using. You'll find that the people here will be more than willing to help you out!
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Thread Information