Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

Thread: Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Hi all, I wonder if anybody can shed any light? I have a problem which is getting slowly worse, I have a dedicated hdd for my digi photos and just lately too many of them go corrupted and the photo is scrambled and multicoloured or half grey when opened, unfortunately, it is not just the latest additions as sometimes I open an old album from several years ago and I might find an odd photo missing and a red X in its place, it is a black square when opened and although the title and extension are there it also has an added "Unknown Format"???
    Any ideas will be most welcome. Regards Robert

Re: Any ideas?

Update, Hi again, part of the problem has been resolved and all the missing images showing a red X in a white background in place of the photo has been resolved, I now believe that the red x is inserted because the pc cannot find the file although it's still there somewhere, I ran chkdisk on the hdd on which I store my photos and chkdsk found and returned them all to their proper folders.

It would appear that some text is missing from the thread starter, so sorry if you were somewhat confused.

I do not think there is an answer yet to the multi coloured type of image corruption where the photo usually appears part or all grey and or multi coloured, neither have I an answer for the black thumbnails with the words "Unknown Format" even though the image code and the .jpg are showing under it, I believe that is also a pc problem, regards Robert.

GB1

Re: Any ideas?

Tyler - I've seen this on my Nikon on rare occasion, once in a while the camera malfunctions when writing the data to file. I've never seen it while using my computer on a file on a disk.

If I were you, I would clear the cache (not sure what software application you're using to view?) and try again, as it might be trying to access something that's moved.

I would also back up the files if you have not, for corruption is a possibility.

Unknown format on a standard JPG (if it is standard) is odd. But note that there's also JPG 2000 and some viewers may not read it. is it possible you shot in that format? (unlikely)..

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information