Photography As Art Forum

This forum is for artists who use a camera to express themselves. If your primary concern is meaning and symbolism in photography, then you've come to the right place. Please respect other community members and their opinions when discussing the meaning of "art" or meaning in images. If you'd like to discuss one of your photos, please upload it to the photo gallery, and include a link to that gallery page in your post. Moderators: Irakly Shanidze, Megan, Asylum Steve

fame vs money vs prestige

in the limited edition thread....ken's last post had me thinking, and I touched on it briefly in the other thread...

given the choice between the two, and there was no middle ground, would you want to be the artist who's work hangs in the musuems and private galleries across the globe, but are only recognized by hard core art majors and your mother, and get your check when you create something worthy, or would you want to be the artist who's got some stuff in musuems, and have been massively reproduced and have your name be recognized by a large portion of the population, and receive your royalty check every month.

a more clear cut example....

Would you take the fame and money of say...Jennifer Lopez? Or the talent of some lesser known actor, who is brilliant, but will always be out of the spotlight and will never make a fraction of the money?

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: fame vs money vs prestige

Hah, you should make this a poll...

I don't think I could decide from the two choices you give. Both reflect success, but neither is the path I'd prefer.

But I sure would enjoy photographing the lovely Ms. Lopez...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

This reminds me of the T Kinkade disucsions here. He has a known name, sells to the masses, and makes lots of money.

But, doesn't it come down to your own goals? From a purely business point of view you have to appeal to the masses and your name may be as important as your work. Many photographers do both. They do the work that sells and then do work for themselves (fine art, galleries, museums, etc). I've wondered what Kinkade may be painting that we're not seeing?

I have a friend who is a succesful product photographer. He shoots mostly digital using rail cameras in a big studio. I think his commercial work is awesome. Yet, he still likes to take photo trips and use his 8x10 view camera and produce "fine art." In a way, he's stradling both sides.

For me, not trying to make a full time living out of photography, I prefer to do my own thing. I don't care if everyone likes it. On another site I was recently asked by someone to post more of my scenics. They said I have a unique style and perspective. I like this comment a lot as it's what I strive for. Some may not like my work, but I'd rather do this than make lots of pretty pictures like printed in popular mags that appeal to the masses. These mags show tons of pretty pictures. While some definately stand out, IMO most are just the standard fare.

Someone once told me the "best," as in best known, photographers are the ones that sell themselves the best or surround themselves with people who can sell them. While competent and very good, they may not be great. But if the goal is to make money...

Many of the best photographers have had all three. Yosuf Karsh in the portraiture of celebrities comes to mind. He was extremely well recognized. His work was identifiable and unique. It was recognized as art. Everyone agreed he was the best in his field, and he made lots of money. What more could you ask for?

Ronnoco

Given the limitations of your original question, fame/money vs. talent/middle class, I would definitely take the money. The fame part would suck though. I can't imagine being hounded 24/7 by paparazzi and other "photojournalists." J-Lo's money would certainly buy a lot of "L" lenses. I think I would start a bike/ski/camera shop. I would call it "Patty's Irish Beer and Bicycles." It may have a tavern in the back. Motto? "Buy a bike, get drunk on us."

Sometimes you get known even when you don't try. I started shooting races and so on for fun, now it's a business. Now I can't go anywhere in Central Indiana without someone knowing what I do even when I don't have a camera with me. Heck, I couldn't even go to physical therapy witthout the therapist knowing who I was and even 4 patients knew me. If I go to the Wal Mart at 3AM people know who I am.....it's crazy. I have had parents, and even other papers try to get me to shoot for them at events I was hired by another paper to shoot.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

JS----Must be nice to be recognized at Wal-Mart at 3AM.

Personally, I'd opt for the cash mainly because I need it. I sometimes get recognized at the ballpark, but that doesn't buy me even a hot dog. But since little of what I shoot is worth anything to anyone, I'm stuck with the occasional recognition. If I had my druthers, it'd definately be the $$$.
    John

I'll agree John, I'd rather have the $$ too. Especially after nights like the last two. It took 2 hours to go to the gas station to pick up smokes and go to McD's for supper. Saturday night I ran into one of the HS girls basketball players and wound up talking to her forever, then tonight it was one of the clerks who's family races at a local track.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information