Photography As Art Forum

This forum is for artists who use a camera to express themselves. If your primary concern is meaning and symbolism in photography, then you've come to the right place. Please respect other community members and their opinions when discussing the meaning of "art" or meaning in images. If you'd like to discuss one of your photos, please upload it to the photo gallery, and include a link to that gallery page in your post. Moderators: Irakly Shanidze, Megan, Asylum Steve
    Seb

Edward Burtynsky

Hello all,

Yesterday, I attempted to an Edward Burtynsky exhibition at the "Musee d'Arts Comtemporains de Montreal" (the Montreal contemporary art museum). He is a canadian photograph who specialize in what is oftenly called "man altered landscape". The exhibition was a retrospective of 20 years of work. It featured 62 large prints (and when I say large, I mean it: 30x40 prints and 40x50 prints...).

I was amazed but what I saw and I thought that people here might be interested so here is a link to the guy web site:
    http://www.edwardburtynsky.com/

I found that his work give an unique insight on the consequences of our behaviors on the planet yet Burtynsky manage to keep a very neutral point of view. His photograph are sublimes and gloomy at the same time. Also, the large size of the prints really make them alive.

Happy new year to all

Seb

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Re: Edward Burtynsky

I really enjoyed looking at this link.

Fascinating stuff there. I really like what he did with the shipbreaking pics. In most of them, you do not have a sense of scale. It's only up to your imagination to figure it out. It's very graphic.

Thanks for posting and letting us know.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Strange... I replied and it didn't post.

My apologies if the board ends up with 2 similar replies from me.

Thanks for posting this, Seb. Even on this little 15" monitor they look amazing - they must have been overwhelming 30X40.

Amazing work. Poor Mother Earth.

Megan

Seb

Re: Edward Burtynsky

Hey Steph and Megan,

I am glad that you guy's enjoyed the link. By all means go see Edward Burtynsky work if it ever happen to be displayed in a museum/gallery near your place. It was pretty much a religious experience for me.

regards

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 02-02-2005 at 08:52 PM.

Thread Information