Photo Project Forum

A monthly, community-driven photography assignment. This forum is moderated by Didache and Frog.

Photo Project Gallery >>

Featured Photo
Photo by Tyson L. Sparks

by Tyson L. Sparks
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Photo Project suggestions....

Hey guys,

Starting in february I am going to start picking Project themes from among the ideas that you guys suggest. Try and keep your suggestions limited to one per post, and try to be descriptive. Also I would appreciate it if you guys keep it in this thread.

I have already decided on January's theme. It is actually an old suggestion from early this year.

So come on guys, and give me all your great ideas!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Liz

Re: Photo Project suggestions....

Good idea Almo!

One suggestion for a topic: Post a photo of a well-known building, area, landscape, tower, even a sign - whatever - and people could guess where it is or what it is, or both. It might be a fun idea for some boring winter month. You could call it something like:
    "Where am I?" or "Where is this located?" or "What is this, and where is it?"

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Hey guys,

Starting in february I am going to start picking Project themes from among the ideas that you guys suggest. Try and keep your suggestions limited to one per post, and try to be descriptive. Also I would appreciate it if you guys keep it in this thread.

I have already decided on January's theme. It is actually an old suggestion from early this year.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Silhouettes would be a great project to do! Any definition of the form, including ground, water, wall and sky shadows.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

A color. Blue. Green. Red. Whatever but a person's interpretation of a color.

Liz, I think your idea is awesome but then you're in Paterson. A 20 minute drive into the city and you're in heaven. Heck, a 5 minute drive to the falls and you're done (thanks to the Sopranos!). But what are we in Clayton, NC supposed to do? There is nothing within 250 miles of here that anyone would recognize!

CL, I like silhouettes too! That would be a fun one!
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler

Liz, I think your idea is awesome but then you're in Paterson. A 20 minute drive into the city and you're in heaven. Heck, a 5 minute drive to the falls and you're done (thanks to the Sopranos!). But what are we in Clayton, NC supposed to do? There is nothing within 250 miles of here that anyone would recognize!

I really like Liz's suggestion too, but I think that it was exclude too many of our PR.com friends.

I do however like this idea of of colors. Look for that in the future
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Liz

There is nothing within 250 miles of here that anyone would recognize

Good point.........sorry, I forgot about that one!

Liz

Liz

I really like Liz's suggestion too, but I think that it was exclude too many of our PR.com friends.

I do however like this idea of of colors. Look for that in the future
    Yes, I overlooked that...sorry.....

Liz

I think that Liz does have something here about "Where Is This" and "Where Am I". For D you should have something around town that you can take pictures of so you can introduce everyone to the place you're from. I think that this would be a great ideal for everyone here to shot something from "my home town" or "where I rest my head" kind of thinking. The location doesn't have to be a place that everyone already knows. well that's just my 2.....

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    I think that Liz does have something here about "Where Is This" and "Where Am I". For D you should have something around town that you can take pictures of so you can introduce everyone to the place you're from. I think that this would be a great ideal for everyone here to shot something from "my home town" or "where I rest my head" kind of thinking. The location doesn't have to be a place that everyone already knows. well that's just my 2.....

Now that is a good idea. You guys are awesome.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Hey guys,

What about portraits of one or both of our parents ? Like Liz's idea too.
    Roberto

Silence. hehehe
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Liz

Lightbulb Re: Photo Project suggestions....

Silence

I like that - we each have our own idea of "silence"

It's creative and interesting IMO.

Liz

Pentax Forum Moderator

I like Liz's idea, also...just a simple example, if you live in a small unknown area, take a shot of like a "McDonalds" from a wierd angle, or inside or at the drive up window, etc...just a thought because I too am in a small area that few would recognize. But I have some ideas along the example above.
    I like the other ideas also...I think I would really like the color thing...but I have no idea what I would do. I'd have to wait and see some ideas and how others make them work!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Ok, this will be my third one and that should do me for the entirety of 2006, right?

I've had the song "Delta Dawn" stuck in my head all day and I kept going back to the part where she says "What's that flower you got on? Could it be a faded rose from days gone by?" Which totally made me try to fade a rose today. Which totally sucks but the song inspired me. So, my last suggestion for 2006:

Songs.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

That's a neat suggestion D.

Have you considered some traditional topics?

architecture
    humor
    snapshot
    emotion
    decisive moment
    journalism (picture that tells a story)
    Love
    fashion
    portraiture
    landscape
    nature
    still life
    fine art
    industrial
    sky
    sports
    weather
    macro
    product
    diptych or triptych
    etc..

Grab any one of those and then maybe give it a little twist. I can think of many fun combinations (humorist snapshot).

Also, one thing done on another board that I thought was quite successful is that the "winner" chooses the next topic. Also, the current "winner" chooses the next "winner"... and so forth. This seemed to help people become more engaged.

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Love...hm, little cliche for Feb

Industrial and sky I like.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Ok, this will be my third one and that should do me for the entirety of 2006, right?

I've had the song "Delta Dawn" stuck in my head all day and I kept going back to the part where she says "What's that flower you got on? Could it be a faded rose from days gone by?" Which totally made me try to fade a rose today. Which totally sucks but the song inspired me. So, my last suggestion for 2006:

Songs.

This is something that I have thought about myself. You could take a photo of something that reminds you of a song, or reflects lyrics of a song. The viewer could then try to guess as to what the song is.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Have you considered some traditional topics?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    architecture
    humor
    snapshot
    emotion
    decisive moment
    journalism (picture that tells a story)
    Love
    fashion
    portraiture
    landscape
    nature
    still life
    fine art
    industrial
    sky
    sports
    weather
    macro
    product
    diptych or triptych
    etc..

Grab any one of those and then maybe give it a little twist. I can think of many fun combinations (humorist snapshot).

Also, one thing done on another board that I thought was quite successful is that the "winner" chooses the next topic. Also, the current "winner" chooses the next "winner"... and so forth. This seemed to help people become more engaged.

BR,
    Tim
    Lots of good suggetions there OS. One thing I think I should point out though, is that there are no "winners". This is not a competition. We do this not to compete, but to share. This is a community gathering, not a contest.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Of course there are no "winners"...

Hence, I put the word in quotes. Sorry. It was not my intention of casting this as a competition.

But, you have been choosing a photo at the end of the month, yes?

Well, the way it worked on this other board is that the "chosen" would then chose the next topic. After the time is up, that "chosen" would chose the "chosen" image for his/her challenge. Repeat until too much fun. Just an idea...

Another idea -- what if the cycle was sped up to a challenge cycle every two or three weeks.

Hmmm.. I better press [send]
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Tim, I am also part of a group that has a weekly challenge. Someone gets picked as having the "best", and that person picks the next challenge. I think it makes things somewhat creative, but then again, you get stuff like snow, mountains, children, and a few others some of us don't see/have, etc.

I do like the idea of interpretations of feelings, emotions, colors, and themes like pride, power, etc., as opposed to just sunsets.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi all...I've recently been seeing several posts of "panoramas". With spring coming, I was thinking that sometime in the next few months, we could do a project of panoramas. I am going to attempt to get some storms as they blow in. I have a couple of spots that have a very wide unobstructed view of the horizon and the storms look awesome at these vantage points.
    Just a thought.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

It might be too late this winter for this (at least for those of us in warmer parts!) - but how about shots that depict how cold it is? Or, alternatively, in the warm months, shots that show how hot it is. And the twist it - no people allowed. Just use your imagination and creativity to get the message across.

And - expanding on the "where am I" idea - shots of everyday items at unusual angles or in macro and we have to guess what they are?

What about a theme for "Favorite Places"?

I was thinking of combination themes...

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
    Red, White, and Blue
    Daughter, Mother, Grandmother
    Air, Land, and Sea
    Eyes, Nose, and Ears

Whoever can meet all three in a post gets a star and
    whoever meets all three in one photo gets two stars.

The "star" is just hypothetical....not trying to reprogram the site.
    Last edited by poker; 05-11-2006 at 02:15 PM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information