Photo Project Forum

A monthly, community-driven photography assignment. This forum is moderated by Didache and Frog.

Photo Project Gallery >>

Featured Photo
Photo by Tyson L. Sparks

by Tyson L. Sparks
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

March Project, Perhaps?

With the end of February just around the corner, perhaps we ought to just settle on a March topic and start posting. Do we really need a moderator for this?

Seems like most of us have had our fill of winter and are looking forward to nicer weather, so how about a "Harbingers of Spring" topic?
    Or "Harbingers of Fall" for those south of the equator.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Liz

Re: March Project, Perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0
    With the end of February just around the corner, perhaps we ought to just settle on a March topic and start posting. Do we really need a moderator for this?

Seems like most of us have had our fill of winter and are looking forward to nicer weather, so how about a "Harbingers of Spring" topic?
    Or "Harbingers of Fall" for those south of the equator.
    OK - I'll bite.........I have certainly had my fill of winter....and would like to start thinking Spring too! I think we could just post our Spring/Fall (change of season/new life) thoughts and images here until we get an official topic!

Liz

It's been so cold and dreary in Washington I'm ready for spring! We traveled to California to watch my son play college baseball. This is a shot of my friend's youngest. He cracked his beautiful little head, scraped his hand up and had as much dirt on him come the end of the day as the infield.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Nice job on the Eyes Jetta! I will hopefully find some thing to shoot this weekend, weather permitting:-)
    Jimmy B

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    ]http://mariaimage.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous/NYCsailboat7/70096012_HG4W9-XL.jpg
    wow. an amazing skyline right there.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    Nice job on the Eyes Jetta! I will hopefully find some thing to shoot this weekend, weather permitting:-)
    Jimmy B
    Emphasis on the "weather permitting". lol Our State hasn't been good to us this year. :O)
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Liz

Jimmy B
    I agree! Wow! Those eyes are beautiful!

I also agree about the weather! Yikes! I'm in NJ - and it has been a cold, snowy, and windy winter. Still is.......I am really looking forward to Spring this year! I would love a whole Spring-like day just to do photography! :thumbsup:

Liz

Weather was permitting Saturday afternoon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails March Project, Perhaps?-img_6038-copy.jpg  

From last spring. I call it Spring Break

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Greg, Very fitting title.Seeing the Voigtlander on your gear list is making me want to go out and get some film and shoot mine!
    Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy. It's on thing I like about the m4/3rd cameras I can use my Voigtlander lenses.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Weather was permitting Saturday afternoon!
    Really nice shot! It's so good to see buds and other signs of Spring. Not yet in NJ.....

Liz

Freshly hatched tent caterpillars on cherry blossoms.

Thus far the images are nice, and several are making me more anxious for spring to arrive. Liz, that detail in your cityscape is outstanding - wishing I was on that sailboat! And Jeta, you nailed the eyes on that young fellow - his face does tell a story. Jimmy & Username, I am plain envious that your season has advanced to the point of buds and caterpillar hatches already! Greg, when it gets that hot in MT, we call it summer!

The snow is starting to melt up here in Big Sky Country, and I even spotted a Robin in town yesterday - so it can't be too far off! Not many signs of the impending spring here at home, but one of the nice things about winter in this part of the country is that, other than pine beetles, we don't have bugs! So today when I was looking out the winter and saw this lacewing between the glass panes, I was encouraged to take his portrait (sorry about the dirty glass). Hopefully I have something more worthy to post later this month!

Canon 7D EF-S 60mm Macro 1/250 F3.2 ISO 640 & built in flash
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails March Project, Perhaps?-20110309_lacewing_7002-sm.jpg  
    Ken

Liz

Ken,

That "lacewing" is a delicate and nice-looking bug with quite the appropriate name. The image is pretty sharp for being shot through a window. What kind of bug - IOW, what is their purpose.....he looks friendly?

Speaking of the harbingers of Spring, we haven't seen many signs in NJ yet. Winter just doesn't want to leave. The next few days are supposed to be a bit warmer - 40's, but with LOTS of rain. Wayne and Little Falls are right around the corner from where I live, and in some areas the people are traveling down the streets in rowboats from last week's rainstorm. Tonight we're supposed to have another few inches of rain, so they're setting up shelters and sandbagging.

At any rate, I hope some robins appear around here soon - along with the SUN!

Liz

Not much in the way of real spring in New England, but it's early yet. The birch trees are busting their britches though. I think it was a good winter for trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Ken,

That "lacewing" is a delicate and nice-looking bug with quite the appropriate name. The image is pretty sharp for being shot through a window. What kind of bug - IOW, what is their purpose.....he looks friendly?

Speaking of the harbingers of Spring, we haven't seen many signs in NJ yet. Winter just doesn't want to leave. The next few days are supposed to be a bit warmer - 40's, but with LOTS of rain. Wayne and Little Falls are right around the corner from where I live, and in some areas the people are traveling down the streets in rowboats from last week's rainstorm. Tonight we're supposed to have another few inches of rain, so they're setting up shelters and sandbagging.

At any rate, I hope some robins appear around here soon - along with the SUN!

Liz
    Liz, you're right, the adult lacewing is a friendly creature. However, the larva is a downright nasty critter, preying on aphids, spider mites and a host of other plant pests. They will consume about 200 pests or pest eggs each week during that stage of their lives. Hope you are able to keep your feet dry with all the weather you're experiencing.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Iguanamom
    Not much in the way of real spring in New England, but it's early yet. The birch trees are busting their britches though. I think it was a good winter for trees.

Iguanamom, do the birch trees do that every year? Just seeing that, I would have thought the tree was attacked by something!
    Ken

I think they do when they've had a good growth year. The bark splits as they add another ring inside. There's new, smooth bark underneath, like new skin when you scrape your knee. Once I noticed it, I found a lot of trees doing it. And a friend of mine took a very similar picture 100 miles from this tree.

This three from about a week ago, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails March Project, Perhaps?-_dsc3666-copy.jpg   March Project, Perhaps?-_dsc3682_2.jpg   March Project, Perhaps?-_dsc3684_2.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liz

Wow Jeff!

Now that is Spring! We haven't seen any signs yet - had more floods last night. Hopefully the worst is over. I still love that last image!

Thanks for sharing your Springtime!

Spring is Sprung....
    The Grass is 'riz....
    I wonder where
    the birdies is.....

Sorry - couldn't help myself!

Liz

Liz

Iguanamom......

Great photo! I always enjoy your photography. You do a great job, especially with those nice macros and close-ups.

I also love Birch trees. Thanks for sharing.

Liz

thanks Liz.

Thanks for the comment Liz. I remember that you were the first on to welcome me to Photography Review many years ago, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Thanks for the comment Liz. I remember that you were the first on to welcome me to Photography Review many years ago, Jeff
    Jeff,

I remember that too! However, when you were gone awhile and came back, I had a hard time trying to decide if you were the same "Grandpaw" that I knew before. Initially, I think your Grandpaw name and your signature in the earlier days made me think you were an older gentleman. When you eventually put up the photo, I was surprised how much younger you are! Also, I don't think you particpated as much in the earlier days. Good to have you around now, and great to have your Moderator services! :thumbsup:

Liz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information