Photo Project Forum

A monthly, community-driven photography assignment. This forum is moderated by Didache and Frog.

Photo Project Gallery >>

Featured Photo
Photo by Tyson L. Sparks

by Tyson L. Sparks
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

April Photo Project: Hobbies

Well you asked for it, and I heard. This ones by special reqest ya'll!

HOBBIES!

I hope you guys have some interesting hobbies, I for one have something I can contribute a great quantity of...
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: April Photo Project: Hobbies

lets get this little shindig started off right...:thumbsup:

Other than photography, my biggest passion is the breeding and rearing of cichlids from the Great Rift Lakes in Central Africa.

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Ill have a go! I am trying to get out of this hobby as its quite expensive, but I've been into burning high powered lasers and lighting effects for the past 5 months. So much to learn about properties of light and wavelengths with them. Heres some photos. They arent the most aesthetically pleasing, but fun to look at nonetheless.

-Mike
    -------------------------------------------------------
    | Canon EOS 40D | Canon EOS 350D
    | Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS | Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5
    | Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | Sigma 8mm EX DG Circular Fisheye
    | Sigma 30mm F/1.4 EX DC HSM

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedingSphere
    Ill have a go! I am trying to get out of this hobby as its quite expensive, but I've been into burning high powered lasers and lighting effects for the past 5 months. So much to learn about properties of light and wavelengths with them. Heres some photos. They arent the most aesthetically pleasing, but fun to look at nonetheless.
    Wow,

That's awesome. I especially dig the ones with the guitar and cds. How did you get into this odd hobby, and where did you get your lasers?
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Well I would have to say that this is a hobby as I am not earning money from it

And a pic of Jenny making a piggy Bank out of Papier Mache :thumbsup:
    I've made heaps of stuff, out of Papier Mache, with my kids. Unfortunately I don't have many pictures of the finished products.

Not as interesting as some of the other hobbies but, I collect knives and swords. Here's a couple older shots of some....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April Photo Project: Hobbies-bmebae.jpg   April Photo Project: Hobbies-bwfun2.jpg   April Photo Project: Hobbies-bwfun4.jpg   April Photo Project: Hobbies-bwfun6.jpg   April Photo Project: Hobbies-trio.jpg  

Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Not as interesting as some of the other hobbies but, I collect knives and swords. Here's a couple older shots of some....
    Hey Aaron, great shots!

I always wanted to get into knife/sword collecting. I used to stay up all night watching those late night knife shows. Maybe some day i will get around to it..
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

How about a few more fish?

John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Hey Aaron, great shots!

I always wanted to get into knife/sword collecting. I used to stay up all night watching those late night knife shows. Maybe some day i will get around to it..
    Thanks for the compliment

If I can give you one word of advise, steer clear of those late night shows...LOL When collecting knives you will be MUCH better getting one good piece then buying 100 cheapies ;)

Here's one reason why...LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gHtf4IIYNY
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

LOL.... And those are the guys I have watched!

Thanks for the heads up.....
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

One of my hobbies is exploring abandoned/semi-active/closed buildings.

Stelco Rod Mill #2

Lister Block

Tivoli Theater
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Wow,

That's awesome. I especially dig the ones with the guitar and cds. How did you get into this odd hobby, and where did you get your lasers?
    Thanks for the comments!

I first traded an old laptop for a 110mw model. It was well worth it, but soon it died. WickedLasers.com is where I got my second one, a 15mw Classic. I got it for $35 because I used their "Wickedbucks" system. I submitted my photos and made $1 for each photo, and $5 for each video submitted. One of my photos is even on the product page for the Evolution series laser. Only got paid that measly $1 towards store credit. If you order one, let me know, I can get you 5% off.

Keep in mind, they are dangerous and can cause instant(faster than a blink response) blindness. Many people suggest to treat them like a loaded weapon. 5mw is the "legal" limit in the United States to use as a "pointer", but even those can cause blindness if you stare into them stupidly. Wicked sells 15mw and up, but advertises them as "OEM" to bypass FDA regulations. Goggles are recommended due to the high power of these. While they aren't steel burning light sabers of doom and demise, they are quite remarkable for the power they put out, considering they only use 2 AAA batteries. The pulsar series(red) is much cheaper for the high end model. The Evolution series is quite fussy right now, dont buy those. I returned my <95mw evo and got my money back. It was money better spent on my L glass and fisheye.

I could go into much more detail about wavelengths and power ratings, different units, ect, but this thread isnt about lasers, lol.. Keep the pictures coming people. I have to say they look very nice so far. Looking forward to more!
    -Mike
    -------------------------------------------------------
    | Canon EOS 40D | Canon EOS 350D
    | Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS | Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5
    | Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | Sigma 8mm EX DG Circular Fisheye
    | Sigma 30mm F/1.4 EX DC HSM

Figured I could give this one a try. Wish I could be out riding her in shorts in the 70+ degree weather like a week ago, instead its in the 20 and teens with new snow falling. :mad2:
    I didn't want to just got with a "normal" shot of the little gal, so I tried for some more abstract close up types. Might get some more of the rest of the fleet, this is the only one at school with me, now, the other wait not so patiently at home for their first ride of the season (after a spring clean and tune that is )

Dont worry Almo, its mostly catch and release!!
    I used to have a tank full of haps myself!:thumbsup:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April Photo Project: Hobbies-stratic.jpg  
    Life's a garden, Dig it. -Joe Dirt

Quote Originally Posted by big baldo
    Dont worry Almo, its mostly catch and release!!
    I used to have a tank full of haps myself!:thumbsup:
    Oh heck, I'm no stranger to the hook...
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

From a wood project I am working on.

My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Hey, big baldo - excellent choice with the Stradic spinning reel! I have to admit though, that I use left-handed baitcasting reels as I just can't switch hands to cast.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Almo, looks like some nice whiting(I think)They can be a blast in the surf!!

Loupey, IMO, Stratic is the ONLY way to go for the $$!!! I've put these reels through absolute torture! Drags are super smooth, love 'em! I use a stradic 6000 for tarpon/snook which really puts it to the test, and it performed flawlessly every time, especially on a GLoomis rod.

Thats so funny that you say that about the lefties! My fishing buddy(who happens to be a flats guide) uses all lefty baitcasters. He's tried to get me to switch but I couldnt get used to it.(even though it DOES make more sense!) I can still hear him saying, "why would you want to cast with one hand and then have to switch before you reel!!!" I'm not sure but I dont think at the time they even made a lefty Chronarch.:ihih: :ihih:

I could ramble on for ever about fishing. Its a good thing you didnt ask anything about fly fishing!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Big Baldo: you, your friend, and I HAVE to get together! I've wanted to fish the Florida waters for quite some time.

I own 3 Stradics (I agree - the best value compared to the Sustains and Stellas). I use only Loomis's (IMX's and GL-3's) or 2 piece St. Croix's (for traveling). Fly fishing? have 3 travel sets ready to go at a moments notice (Orvis Frequent Flyers). Ironically, until very recently, I had more $$$ invested in fishing gear than photography gear.

Sounds like I need to book a flight to Florida

See my website HERE.

LOL!!! C'mon down.............. This is the time of year for the MONSTER REDS!!!! I havent been out on the flats in a couple of weeks but I know its starting to get crazy over there!

My wife thought I was crazy when I spent 70$ on a Loomis with a broken tip from E-bay. I sent it back to Loomis and they sent me a brand new one. Gotta love that warranty!!
    What type of fishing do you do there?

Fishing the gulf states for Reds and the Bahamas for Bonefish are both near the top of my list

Quote Originally Posted by big baldo
    What type of fishing do you do there?
    Mostly Lake Erie for walleye/smallmouth and Canada for pike/smallmouth. My wife's cousin and uncle introduced me recently to salmon in northern Michigan where I made a good friend who introduced me to steelheads in northeastern OH and northwestern PA.

This is the week we were supposed to be in GA for some trout fishing. Last minute work commitments killed that plan. But we are booked for a house on Topsail Island for some surf fishing this summer and also working on a fly-in to Canada with the wife's other cousin & uncle.

Here is a shot of my first steelhead. Complete with my boot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April Photo Project: Hobbies-steelhead.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Painfully New

Hello Everyone!

My name is Patrick and I joined this forum specifically for project ideas. I am REALLY new to photography, having gone from a point and shoot Olympus 5050 to a mind numbingly complex Nikon D200. Yes, I do everything both feet first. So this forum has already been very helpful by showing different perspectives. Thanks so far, and I look forward to contributing much more!

Thanks!

Last edited by Pandmoanium; 04-06-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Um, does reading count as a hobby? I bet ya never would would have guessed it from my brilliant posts (lol). The Russian classics are my favorites. I know... yaaaawn

edit- my girlfriend made me read Theatre :blush2:

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Another hobby of mine is Airsofting. Yeah, it's very much like Paintball (I'll get a shot of my marker when I get it back tonight). But it doesn't leave the marks.

the usual gear, cold war issue woodland camo

Occasionally I go with a group that does Stargate Airsoft.

I have several rifles, the one in the photos is my favourite, an XM8. Usually I'll take along a Beretta 92FS sidearm.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Flickr Link
    Driving...I love driving...dont know why, might be the stereo, might be the manual transmission, might be the control, might be interaction/watching other drivers...but it's just something I enjoy.

More hobbies to come...havent had much time for my "non essential" hobbies lately.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information